What happened to Christians being Christ-like?

I cannot be the only one who is noticing how very far away from Christ's teachings that today's Christians have strayed. Perhaps it's social media that has made it more obvious to me. I am just beyond sick of people using the bible to justify their bigotry.

I am not religious, though I have come to the conclusion that I believe there is a God. I believe that Jesus was a real man and he taught the world a wonderful message of love and forgiveness and helping our fellow man. Whether or not he was divine is not for me to say. How it is that Christians can be so blatantly opposite of what he taught is beyond me.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." -Mahatma Gandhi
    STOP MOUNTAIN TOP REMOVAL

Re: What happened to Christians being Christ-like?

Im afarid that i dont believe in Jesus, i am an Athiest. I simply believe in that you do what you can, when you can, for everyone that you can. I believe that the goodness and "love" will be returned.

Its simply a case of treating people how you wish to be treated. If you have too much of something....share it with a friend. If your friend has to much of something then surely he well share it with you.

At the risk of sounding totally foolish, i dont believe in God, but i do believe in the Devil. I know that doesnt make sense and i cant really explain it.

Putting it simple.........things would be great if people just tried to live in harmony and help each other, irregardless of religion, creed or culture.

I don't like to get into any topics about religion but I felt I maybe should add a little different perspective.

For me, I have a deep faith in God that is very personal to me and that's all I'm going to say about that.

Ayla, I find the Christians I've met in my own life just go on quietly doing good, loving God and not making a lot of noise about it. They live their faith daily and love their fellow man.

Maybe it's because some Christians are questioning their faith and that's where the controversy comes from, for lack of a better term.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

At least in the USA, many of the Christians (who like to hide behind their Religion like a shield) are a little ticked off right now. There's always some type of Political bee buzzing in their bonnet, but it's somewhat worse since President Obama declared the USA as no longer being a "Christian Nation."

There's several Religions that celebrate a Deity of some kind around this time of year, so the Political Correctness of this Festive Season is definitely seen in our commercials and National Coverage for different USA events all over the world more so than ever.

Under "God" We Trust is even being looked at in terms of abolishing the phrase and changing our nations theme song as well as our Pledge of Allegiance. It's not that these things haven't been talked about before, but with the USA no longer being a "Christian Nation," Christians are on a Soldier type mission to cram their beliefs down everyone's throats more so than ever now.

It's this type of attitude that some Christians have that started our war in the first place. Freedom of Religion... Not Yet... Hope to see that coming in the USA soon!

The problem is that a lot of Christians do not live by the words of Christianity. I am not saying that it is easy, but

1) Demanding and solliciting bribes, and then spending your Sundays in church (like one annoying thief in uniform, a.k.a. police officer did - cost me $125) .
    2) When someone collapses on the street - keep on walking, and don't check on the unfortunate soul. This literally happened to me and my gf with some stranger in front of the house. Dozens, if not hundreds of people, most of whom must have been Christian (christian neighborhood, Christianity is the majority religion here) - simply let the poor guy, lie down without even checking what was going on.

In fact Kenya is so bizarre, that apparently you are better off as a devil-worshipper than as an atheist. Mind you, the strongest accusation in political debates is devil-worshipper. This is much more potent than accusations of affairs, spousal abuse, and other "godly" things. The churches here are mostly very conservative, so as a woman, do not expect much support if you have to file for divorce to protect your life.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Thread Information