Thread: My Soap Box

My Soap Box

I don't know how everyone else feels about this....but I'm really tired of people living in America and showing no respect for our country. Perhaps this teacher could've reacted differently, but personally, I applaud him. I would've wanted to kick the little sh*t in the butt myself.

Being against a war or not liking Bush is a person's perogative. Showing disrespect for their country- ISN'T! It's very simple....if you don't like it here....get the hell out. No one cares.
    --------------------------------------------------

Incident may lead to cell phone ban
    Published in the Asbury Park Press 03/1/05
    By NAOMI MUELLER
    TOMS RIVER BUREAU

BRICK -- The Board of Education may toughen its policy on use of wireless telephones in schools, after a videotape showing a Brick Township High School teacher screaming at his students to show respect for the national anthem — and then pulling the chair from underneath one student who refused to stand — was posted on several independent Web sites.

The tape was made by a student in Stuart Mantel's class and shows Mantel screaming at his students about standing quietly while "The Star-Spangled Banner" is played. When a student, identified on the Web site only as "Jay," refused to stand, the video shows Mantel yanking the chair from under him.

Although state statute does not specifically address whether a student must stand during the national anthem, Ron Rice, a spokesman with the state Department of Education, said there have been numerous court rulings stating that a student cannot be punished for refusing to stand while the Pledge of Allegiance is recited. Rice said those same rules apply to the anthem.

On the video, Mantel

tells the class to stand and keep their mouths shut. At one point, whistling can be heard, to which Mantel screams for the student to stop. He also told the students to stop whispering.

Then, while the anthem is playing, Mantel approached Jay, who was sitting, and told him to stand. When Jay told Mantel he did not have to stand, Mantel pulled the chair from under him.

"Are you serious?" Jay asked.

"I am damn well serious," Mantel replied.

Link for rest of story: http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...NEWS/503010489

You know Merika, this story goes well with the Microsoft Teddy Bear monitor story, because quite frankly, the monitoring of teachers and students should be done to prevent nut cases like this teacher from being around kids. Yes, patriotism is important, and should be taught, but do you think the best way to do it is verbally abusing, and perhaps physically injuring kids that do not stand and recite the pledge?

Chances are....he had addressed the issue many times....that's why the kids had the cell phone ready to do camera shots. They set him up....becuase they are brats to begin with.

I can speak as a Mom of teens who has their friends around MUCH too frequently.... there just comes a time when raising your voice and yeah, pulling a chair out from under their smart mouthed butts.....seem HUMOROUS to me!

If I had the teacher's name... I'd send him flowers and a box of cookies.

that teacher was deffinately set up by these rotten kids. they peed him off on purpose to set him up to look bad. They are manipulative troublemakers that get off on other people's pain. I bet they're the bullies at that school too.

That teacher should get a trophy for having to teach those little brats!
    Life is what you make of it. Make it happen.

Isis was late back from lunch one too many times.....so the school called me to ask if it was okay to put her on after school detention for a couple of afternoons. Even the school seems hesitant to discipline these kids for fear of law suits.

I told them it was not only okay with me...but to give her a broom and make her sweep the halls while she was there! HAHA!

LMAO!! teachers are afraid to discipline because they could get sued easily! it's crazy!

I sat with krystal everyday for a month after school in an extra help class to make sure she would behave and pay attention. It worked, she got better grades then she didn't need the help anymore so my sitting with her days were over. She didn't like that too much! it was very embarassing for her. but i told her that if she did what she was supposed to do in the first place, i wouldn't of had to be there holding her hand like a 2 year old. she was in the 7th grade.

I'm on the fence on this one. Yes all the kids should prolly do the same thing, any less is disrespectful to the teachers wishes IMO. I haven't seen the vid yet but I do have a problem with adults screaming at kids for any reason. That's not exactly my idea of setting a good example.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

I do agree with the teachers screaming at the kids thing too. my kids had teachers like that, always screaming. i have to ask myself if any other teacher hears them scream or maybe even the principle...if so, why aren't they being disciplined for screaming?

I did tell one of kassandra's teachers once that she is never to scream and yell at my daughter again. i told her she's got excellent hearing, she doesn't need to be yelled at. of course the teacher denied it but at least she knew that i knew she did it. kassandra never complained again after that. She was only in the 1st grade when that happened! my poor little baby girl. she was yelling at the whole class and it scared kassandra.

Sn00p: Why are you yelling?
    Mom: Because this is the 5th time I've told you.
    Sn00p: Told me what?
    Mom: To put your shoes on.
    Sn00p: Where are they?
    Mom: Where did you take them off at?
    Sn00p: Okay
    5 minutes later....Sn00py is still watching TV with no shoes on.
    Mom: (yelling) PUT YOUR SHOES ON!
    Sn00p: I hate when you yell at me....you are always yelling at me.

hahaha.....that's how MY morning went...today...and yesterday....and the day before. We go through the same thing everyday. And yes....it makes me yell!

Quote Originally Posted by Merika
    Sn00p: Why are you yelling?
    Mom: Because this is the 5th time I've told you.
    Sn00p: Told me what?
    Mom: To put your shoes on.
    Sn00p: Where are they?
    Mom: Where did you take them off at?
    Sn00p: Okay
    5 minutes later....Sn00py is still watching TV with no shoes on.
    Mom: (yelling) PUT YOUR SHOES ON!
    Sn00p: I hate when you yell at me....you are always yelling at me.

hahaha.....that's how MY morning went...today...and yesterday....and the day before. We go through the same thing everyday. And yes....it makes me yell!
    sounds like what i have to do with kassandra! LMAO! must be the age. snoopy and kassandra are about the same age right? she's just turned 13. I have to tell her to do everything at least 5 times and by then i'm yelling and she says the same thing. why you always yelling at me? i say, because you don't hear me unless i do!! geesh!!!! kids! LOL!

but you know what? if anyone's going to yell at my kids, it'll be me or their father. I wouldn't yell at any other person's kids and never have and i have had a lot of kids stay here in the past! I didn't even yell at my 2 nieces that i had living with me for months.

Thats like what my brother is like he is 14

Wait for a cold, miserable, rainy day and drag him outside with no shoes on, that'll learn 'em.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

He wouldn't care Duke. Like most men....he would be content to live in a pair of boxers.....he only changed twice a week. LMAO!

I really am not as mad at the shoe thing....as the fact that if he isn't ready....he runs out of the door late to ride his bike to school with his friends.,...and forgets all his other stuff. This mean that once he realizes he forgot his money, notebook and whatever else he needed....I will have to get dressed and bring it down to the school.

Yes.....I've tried giving him checklists.....but he loses them too! HAHA!

aren't kids fun when they reach puberty? :?

dont worry they get better by the time they are SH and twinkle's age.

Chances are....he had addressed the issue many times....that's why the kids had the cell phone ready to do camera shots. They set him up....becuase they are brats to begin with.
    Jeeze guys..................then MANY KIDS ARE BRATS!!

Look, we have a teacher that cries when the kids tell her that her lessons are boring. You know what? It doesn't matter what she does to change her lesson because IT WILL NEVER BE AS ENTERTAINING TO THEM AS HER CRYING, KNASHING OF TEETH, ETC!

If this idiot though he was making an impression that would change the behavior of kids and make them more patriotic, then he missed the mark the FIRST time they pushed his buttons, and if they were able to predict how he would be able to react well enough to prepare to record it, then he is more a moron than a member of any nation of which I am proud to be a member.

Are you sure that you weren't the yelling teacher?

BTW, I think your Caps Lock button is BROKEN!!!
    My Daughter Rules!

Good catch for you Duke....

wondered if else anyone noticed how.........

COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE SHOUTING CAN BE!!!!!!!!!

If you pay attention to your kids you'll notice just how stupid yelling is. All it teaches them is to yell back, it's ridiculous.
    My Daughter Rules!

I'm going back to the original post subject...

Yeah, this teacher did get a little carried away...but we shouldn't place all the blame on him. It's been 6 years since I've been in high school...but I remeber it well. You know what teachers you can f*ck with and what teachers you can't. Those kids knew that they could get his feathers ruffled by doing that..so they did. No other reason than for sh*ts and giggles. We used to do it our teachers back in 1999 and I don't thing things have changed THAT much.

We had a health teacher...Coach Swan...he was also the football trainer and med guy....and we used to do shit just to see him get mad. He would throw shit in class..this one time he got pissed at our class and picked up this big ole 2x4 he called a hall pass and slung it across the room and it hit the door and broke...at which point we knew we'd pushed him to far and we promptly shut the heck up. He did things like that all the time.

There was this one kid in our class that really liked to push him over the edge and Swan would chuck peices of chalk at him and hit him in the head, at which point the whole class would laugh and that kid would get stuck STANDING in the hall for the rest of class. (which is why he pushed the Coach that far.)

You may say that Coach Swan went to far. And you'd probably be right. However, I say that it was more our fault than his. We knew what buttons to push...I mean...he's human after all. Spend 7 hours a day, 5 days a week with a bunch of teenagers...and I bet you loose your cool real quick like!
    STOP MOUNTAIN TOP REMOVAL

Thread Information