Your Relationships Through The Years

I'm finding that as I age I'm more in tune from what I give and what I expect from relationships whether they be family or friends.

I'm backing away or letting go of the ones filled with drama and negativity. I'm holding on to the ones who find a lighter and easier way to live, those who have a sense of humour about life. I'm inspired by those who, in times of difficulties, look and find a way through and help to inspire others. Those who love and care for others even if they don't get the same in return.

It's quite a turn-around from a people pleaser like I was to a person with enough self-esteem to know what I will continue to accept in my life.

Please share your thoughts about your own relationships through the years.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Re: Your Relationships Through The Years

You and I are at the same point in our lives dear Luba.

Too many years I felt the need to be one to bring everyone together, to excuse bad behaviour because the person acting up is young, is unemployed, is lonely, is jealous, is less fortunate than myself or because they are simply "family".

The point comes when one day you wake up and think...... "who am I doing this for". Do we do it for ourselves or because we've become conditioned or even nominated as being the peacemaker, the juggler, the shoulder to cry on.

I think it is a great gift to be non-judgemental and to have empathy with our fellow man, however, that being said, it is not ok to be walked over, ignored, taken for granted because of these wonderful qualities.

So, Luba, I shall join you in the journey of holding those dear close to me for the rest of my earthly journey and shall firmly remove those who deflect me from my path.

At this time in my life I am closer to the end than the beginning and I really want to share it with those of a like mind and heart and when my time comes I can say to my self "Wow, that was fun"

Re: Your Relationships Through The Years

To continue this thread. A hard one, I know, but is there any one person who has influenced you more than others in your relationships.

For me it was my Grandmother - cliche I know but absolutely true.

She was not the cookie box Grandmother that sat in a rocking chair and gave you loads of cuddles or even said she loved you. She was raised in a "hands off" environment herself and found it extremely difficult to give affection.

Having said all that, she made you feel safe, protected and loved. She had a wicked sense of humour and when the mood took her she could have everyone around laughing so bad they needed the bathroom, but heaven forbid if you crossed her. Then down would come her glasses to the end of her nose and she'd peer at you and call you by your full name.

She believed in "an eye for an eye" - If you bit someone, she'd bite you, if you kicked someone, she'd kick you. There were a few occassions of heads being banged together I can tell you. You soon got the hint and realised how much these things hurt.

Some people might say it was wrong but all these were administered once for impact and never again. Never did she resort to spanking or harsher punishments. Instead, it was those glasses on her nose. LOL

She gave me the greatest gift I have ever received. She gave me freedom. When testing my wings she gave me permission to be free, to do what I wanted, to go and explore the world.

She also gave me the best piece of advice I have ever had. After a failed long term relationship I ventured into dating, only to go for the same kind of person. I then met someone who was really nice and I didn't know how to handle it, so she told me "you are allowed to be happy with a nice person you know". So I followed her advice and am still with this "nice person"

I will be interested to hear who has influenced people in their lives.

Thread Information