Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

50 Shades of Grey Cells

Aha - you thought this was gonna be about those books LOL

No No, I am not going there, yet .

I thought I'd open a thread about which books you may have read or are about to read that challenges the "little grey cells" as quoted by Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot.

So here I go.

I read anything and I do mean anything. Currently I thought I would re-visit some of my all time favourites first, here they are :

1. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
    2. Joy Luck Club - Amy Tan
    3. Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen

and then move onto the new one's I have lined up, ready and waiting, which are :

Brendan O'Carroll's trilogy (Famous for Mrs Brown's Boys)
    - The Mammy
    - The Granny
    - The Chisslers
    Seven wives & Seven prisons - L A Abbott
    Sophia: Princess, Suffragette, Revolutionary - Anita Anand

Now don't think I'm some sort of intellectual, I am not, I just love to explore the world of the written word. I love getting involved with the characters in their world and I find myself impatient to find out how their lives evolve whether it is fiction or non-fiction.

Our greatest asset is our brain and it's capacity to expand and be challenged and to drift into another place.

So, I shall wait patiently to see how this thread goes and if anyone wants to ask me about the books I've listed please do.

OOh, and Yes, I have read the three 50 Shades books, that is what they were written for.
    Last edited by Rosie Sanchez; 02-26-2015 at 11:18 AM.

Re: 50 Shades of Grey Cells

What a GREAT thread, Rosie, about one of my favourite subjects, BOOKS! I don't even know where to start, maybe first just mentioning authors.

Henry David Thoreau for my very favourite Novel, "Walden".

Agatha Christie, Ruth Rendell, P.D. James, to mention a few.

Stephen King - (funny story about how those books developed into many hours of enjoyment; getting involved with the characters that somehow he's able to get to come to life in such a great way!)

I'm in the process of someday completing "War and Peace" which I have started three times. Though it's taking me a long time to read it, I WILL do so and, hopefully, soon.

This is a wonderful and never-ending topic for me, Rosie!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

I love, love, LOVE reading. I usually have 2/3 books on the go at any time. If, however, one appeals to me I have to finish it in one go.

I shall now add "Walden" to my list to explore.

I thought of another of my favourites - A Town Called Alice by Neville Shute

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Sanchez View Post
    I love, love, LOVE reading. I usually have 2/3 books on the go at any time. If, however, one appeals to me I have to finish it in one go.
    I do, too, Rosie. I just picked up a book from "Books Everywhere" in our town where you could pick up books free of charge to read, return them in any of those places, or bring some of your own.
    I just read the entire P.G. Wodehouse book titled "Laughing Gas" in a couple of sittings, it was so funny.

I shall now add "Walden" to my list to explore.
    I LOVE this book because it tells of living a simple life and so much more. "Simplify your needs and your ambitions' learn to delight in the simple pleasures which the world of Nature affords".

I thought of another of my favourites - A Town Called Alice by Neville Shute
    What is it about, Rosie?

I am now finally reading the first of four novels of "The Emigrants".
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

OOh you're ahead of me then Luba in reading as I've had to put it to one side the past few days to get some domestic issues sorted.

Like how I use good words for doing the Laundry and cooking he he.

Anyway "A Town Called Alice" by Neville Shute

A group of English people get trapped in Malaya at the time the Japanese invade in the 2nd world war. The men get sent to a local camp but there is nothing for the women/children. So they are told they have to go to one 100km away, by foot. The story is about their journey from camp to camp to camp (which do not exist), their losses in the group and their friendships. They meet up with a couple of Australian captives who put their lives at risk to help them. It is also a love story.

I don't want to say more as it's such a good book - there is also a movie of it, made in black & white with Virginia McKenna & Albert Finney, which was lovingly made as close to the book as was possible.

So if you find it, enjoy and let me know what you think of it.

Thanks, Rosie, I'll look for it at the next trip to the second-hand book store.

Hmm, now I have too many books and too little time. Well, maybe I shall just find time!!

Do you not have an ereader - I love mine, although there is nothing like holding a real book in your hands.

Hmm, now I have too many books and too little time. Well, maybe I shall just find time!!

Do you not have an ereader - I love mine, although there is nothing like holding a real book in your hands.
    I just need a real book in my hands.

I just need a real book in my hands.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean but because I read so much when on our travels I found that half the weight limit we took was books - so a good solution is the e-reader. I have one that has a back light so I can read at night too.

At home, however, I read real books and have my favourites in pride of place on the shelves.

I just need a real book in my hands.
    I know what you mean but because I read so much when on our travels I found that half the weight limit we took was books - so a good solution is the e-reader. I have one that has a back light so I can read at night too.

I understand, that would be a good time to have an e-reader for sure.

At home, however, I read real books and have my favourites in pride of place on the shelves.
    Wouldn't it be awful if real hand-held books would be a thing of the past someday?

I wish I had kept the email about things that are likely to be things of the past someday. Maybe I could find something similar online to post here....or maybe we have one already that I will have to search for. Too many threads to keep up with but fun to reread again.

Wouldn't it be awful if real hand-held books would be a thing of the past someday?
    I think I would cry if real books stopped being printed.

My memory is filled with the joy of receiving all the "What Katy Did" books, along with "Black Beauty" as a birthday gift. To have the whole series, in one go, wow.... it was such an expensive gift and I so valued them.

I love my e-reader as I get to carry all genres of books with me in one go but I always come back to the good old fashioned printed version

I think I would cry if real books stopped being printed.
    Me, too!

My memory is filled with the joy of receiving all the "What Katy Did" books, along with "Black Beauty" as a birthday gift. To have the whole series, in one go, wow.... it was such an expensive gift and I so valued them.
    That's just wonderful!

I love my e-reader as I get to carry all genres of books with me in one go but I always come back to the good old fashioned printed version
    That is a practical way to go, for sure, especially when traveling.

My memory is filled with the joy of receiving all the "What Katy Did" books, along with "Black Beauty" as a birthday gift.
    Well, Luba, guess which books I now have on my e-reader. I have found very old editions on the Gutenberg public domain website and the books also include drawings. So happy I have all these with me at all times

For anyone who wants to explore classics here is the website

Free ebooks - Project Gutenberg

Guess what. On clearing my bedroom, ready for Spring cleaning, I have discovered about 6 brand new books that I had not gotten around too from last Summer.

OOh joy. Now I have put them on the bookshelf ready for this Summer

Guess what. On clearing my bedroom, ready for Spring cleaning, I have discovered about 6 brand new books that I had not gotten around too from last Summer.

OOh joy. Now I have put them on the bookshelf ready for this Summer
    I'm picturing you taking a cup of tea or a cold drink outside, sitting under a tree or on a patio, and blissfully reading, Rosie!

OOh I have big plans for the Summer - I have been growing a small Arbour at the end of the garden where I can disappear to read. It means that from the house you cannot see me. So you are right - I shall take my books and disappear for a while.

Bring on Summer

OOh I have big plans for the Summer - I have been growing a small Arbour at the end of the garden where I can disappear to read. It means that from the house you cannot see me. So you are right - I shall take my books and disappear for a while.

Bring on Summer
    Sounds peaceful, quiet and awesome, Rosie!

New books added to my E-reader - well, not new, new as I've read them before.

Spike Milligan was a comedian/poet and wrote some comical recollections of his time during his military service - sounds a bit at odds to say comedy/war but somehow this works. He published 5 books in this genre.

Adolf Hitler - my part in his downfall was his most famous.

It must be approached with a realisation it is his own personal views of how his time was spent

I have also just found, to my joy, Johnny Cash, the autobiography - now being lined up for my holiday reading.

It will be a 'Whew' kind of day when I FINALLY complete "War and Peace". If only I kept to one book at a time....

I do not think I've ever read "War & Peace", although I have watched the big budget movie they did of it. Same with "Anna Karenina". They are quite daunting books to work your way through. You certainly have to focus just on that book and not skip to others (yes, I do the same lol).

I do not think I've ever read "War & Peace", although I have watched the big budget movie they did of it. Same with "Anna Karenina". They are quite daunting books to work your way through. You certainly have to focus just on that book and not skip to others (yes, I do the same lol).

Good point, Rosie! The trouble is that "War and Peace" isn't a feel-good book and if that's the only one I stuck to without having positive ones to balance out, I probably would never ever read another book again.

The trouble is that "War and Peace" isn't a feel-good book
    That is so true. When War and Peace was written in 1869 it must have been challenging and I'm guessing on those who were in literary circles would have even ventured to pick it up, especially as literacy was not a high priority then.

I've just read the following :

Tolstoy himself, somewhat enigmatically, said of War and Peace that it was "not a novel, even less is it a poem, and still less a historical chronicle". Large sections of the work, especially in the later chapters, are philosophical discussion rather than narrative.[8] He went on to elaborate that the best Russian literature does not conform to standard norms and hence hesitated to call War and Peace a novel. (Instead, Tolstoy regarded Anna Karenina as his first true novel.)

Well if you continue with it I wish you luck

Out of 981 pages of very small printing I now have 215 pages to go, and I'm going to finish it, by golly! This is my third start though I didn't get very far with the other two starts, but it's going to happen THIS time!

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    Out of 981 pages of very small printing I now have 215 pages to go, and I'm going to finish it, by golly! This is my third start though I didn't get very far with the other two starts, but it's going to happen THIS time!
    GO LUBA! GO LUBA! GO LUBA!

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    GO LUBA! GO LUBA! GO LUBA!
    After making this post, I read three chapters, though they are very small. Thanks Rosie for the cheers, I WILL complete reading it this time and, hopefully, soon.

Thread Information