Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Grandmother Wisdom, Wiles & Ways

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Sanchez View Post
    Thank you dear Luba

Rosie, as I said I'm deeply grateful that you share your Grandmother stories and your love for her. It means even more to me because three of my grandparents had passed away by the time I was born, and the one grandmother left scared me as a child, I was frightened of her. I don't know if it's because I heard that she was a 'bad' woman or that she actually did something that frightened me. To add to that, I have one memory of her sitting by a window and I, as a child, had the opportunity to maybe go over and talk with her but I didn't take it then. I wish now that I had been smart enough or bold enough to do that then, maybe I would have found her to be a misunderstood person and learned something from her that would have helped our relationship....Alas, I will never know.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    Thank you dear Luba

Rosie, as I said I'm deeply grateful that you share your Grandmother stories and your love for her. It means even more to me because three of my grandparents had passed away by the time I was born, and the one grandmother left scared me as a child, I was frightened of her. I don't know if it's because I heard that she was a 'bad' woman or that she actually did something that frightened me. To add to that, I have one memory of her sitting by a window and I, as a child, had the opportunity to maybe go over and talk with her but I didn't take it then. I wish now that I had been smart enough or bold enough to do that then, maybe I would have found her to be a misunderstood person and learned something from her that would have helped our relationship....Alas, I will never know.

Ah dear Luba, I understand. I do think that you should put some memories down for others in your role as Grandmother

I believe you would bring a touch of humour, love and happiness to everyone's lives by posting your memories. Give it a go.

I second Rosie's suggestion.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

I believe you would bring a touch of humour, love and happiness to everyone's lives by posting your memories. Give it a go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    I second Rosie's suggestion.
    Not only have I actually done that, but I have painted in oils for both my granddaughters their favourite stories as young girls and wrote a Tribute to each, put in a Frame as well. They will always remember how much they were loved by me and the special times shared with them in each Tribute.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Keyword was posting mim! :P
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

I'd love to see some of your painting Luba someday

It is this time of year that my memories of my Grandmother are the strongest as it rapidly approaches the anniversary of her passing.

As I gather things together ready for the upcoming Holidays I find myself drawing from the bank of knowledge she passed on to me. Her frugality in re-cycling things (she would have been amused to learn that she would now be fashionable for 'up cycling' LOL), her ability to make the most amazing roast potatoes and the tastiest gravy in the world, as well as her invariably loosing the fight to keep the cream from a chocolate eclair escaping down the front of her top .

I find myself resembling her in quite a few ways, firstly I too struggle with the cream in any kind of cake (if I've given myself permission to have some as a treat), I hear her words coming out of my mouth when talking to those younger than myself and locating my reading glasses is an almost impossibility!

I say all these things with great affection and I hope she is somewhere watching and laughing out loud.

Well, you could "accidentally" contaminate some of the cream by "dropping" your reading glasses into a bit of cream. And then you're either forced to throw away the cream, but that would be a waste of money, or EAT the cream. Your grandmother would of course be offended if you did not go the frugal way ...

But yeah, it is nice to think back to the past and reminiscence a bit.

She absolutely would not waste any cream, whether on reading glasses or in an eclair .

Thread Information