Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saying Goodbye to CLUTTER

Today IS the day I'm starting my Spring Cleaning in a totally different way! That being said, it may go a LOT longer than just Spring! I'm changing my ways! I've got a plan which is making me a bit teary as I write this, but, that, in itself, is a good thing because I'm saying "So long" to the Luba that used to save everything that anyone ever gave me...well, just about!

I received an Epiphany a few years back when I was dusting some ornament and couldn't remember who it was from. My epiphany broadened by telling me that I remember actual times with family/friends than what Gift I was given because people gave of themselves. Then I put that epiphany into my 'mind storage' and now it's come full force again.

Our sons have their Dad's sense of humour and my ability to laugh at almost everything. A few years back we were talking about 'stuff' and one said "Mom, you don't actually have anything I want!" That totally made me laugh because I'm feeling very similar to that these days myself. I actually tried it first thing early this morning. I looked under the vanity, picked up a basket that contained odds and ends, and just chucked it. I didn't think about it or rue that I might use those things 'someday', I just chucked them. I wasn't expecting the free and happy feeling that came with it, but here it is! It's a START!

Oh, I know there will be some or even many items that I will hold in my hands and ask myself the question "Is it tugging at my heartstrings and if it is, Why?" in which case I will sit down and write in my journal about it to see if I will keep it, or just hold on to the memory? Then if I remember who gave it to me will call her up and say "How about going out for tea or coffee?" and make memories instead of clutter.

I think my sentimentality is moving towards practicality and I think that's very positive and I'm happy about that. I've been sappy too long which resulted in clutter. That's HUGE for me to admit but I LOVE the way life unfolds and teaches us something new about ourselves when we are open to it.

Henry David Thoreau's life of Simplicity in "Walden" is one that I admire and aspire to in many ways as I sit here on a computer wondering how much I would miss it had I not had it? I'll see how it all unfolds as I go on my new getting-rid-of-journey.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Re: Saying Goodbye to CLUTTER

Go to it Luba

Well done for starting your "spring cleaning" and in such a new way. We do tend to keep things "just in case" and, as you say, from events we have long forgotten. As you are ready to do this I think you find your emotional closet much lighter by the time you've finished.

Love the idea of writing details of the item into a journal before making the decision if you are unsure as, if you decide to get rid of the item, you will still have the details in your journal.

I had to laugh about your son saying you didn't have anything he wanted LOL. My two are precisely the same. Anything that they have liked in the past they have already been given and for me that's how it should be.

As you are ready to do this I think you find your emotional closet much lighter by the time you've finished.
    So true! I've just started and it was wonderful realizing how lighter it made me feel already.

I'm also wondering if clutter also has something to do with the extra weight we carry, too. I think there is some parallel there...I'm going to keep my eye and mind on that one as I carry on.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

I'm also wondering if clutter also has something to do with the extra weight we carry, too. I think there is some parallel there...I'm going to keep my eye and mind on that one as I carry on.
    I do think it has a connection. I know that I tend to feel more inclined to look after myself once I've done a spring clean. I think by the physical action of going through clothing on a bright sunny day makes you realise how dark our life has become as we wear our dark winter clothing which covers everything, including our inner being. By choosing lighter, brighter, happier clothing we begin to appreciate who we are and what we have to offer and realise lighter food makes us feel lighter

So tomorrow is a quick shopping trip as would you believe hubby needs new clothes and then I shall begin to declutter my closets and like you try to see the parallels between that a weight loss

[QUOTE=Rosie Sanchez;160224]
    I do think it has a connection. I know that I tend to feel more inclined to look after myself once I've done a spring clean. I think by the physical action of going through clothing on a bright sunny day makes you realise how dark our life has become as we wear our dark winter clothing which covers everything, including our inner being. By choosing lighter, brighter, happier clothing we begin to appreciate who we are and what we have to offer and realise lighter food makes us feel lighter
    I agree totally!

So tomorrow is a quick shopping trip as would you believe hubby needs new clothes and then I shall begin to declutter my closets and like you try to see the parallels between that a weight loss
    Part of today I will be going through my books which will be rather hard as it's easier for me to get rid of clothes, than books. I've put away some winter clothes, and have more to go through...for another day this week, hopefully.

OOh dear de-cluttering taken a back seat to the wonderful cold/cough I've been given by my son . Wish he would learn to share other things LOL

Did manage to get hubby some new stuff and he looks really nice for his meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Sanchez View Post
    OOh dear de-cluttering taken a back seat to the wonderful cold/cough I've been given by my son . Wish he would learn to share other things LOL
    Rosie, sending you Get Well Hugs!

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    Rosie, sending you Get Well Hugs!
    I took quite a few books to "Books Everywhere" yesterday and it wasn't as difficult as I imagined it would be by tugging at my heartstrings. I usually like to turn things around until that brings a good feeling and thinking that someone or a few people would get hours of joy or inspiration from the books I left made me feel instantly better!

I took quite a few books to "Books Everywhere" yesterday and it wasn't as difficult as I imagined it would be by tugging at my heartstrings. I usually like to turn things around until that brings a good feeling and thinking that someone or a few people would get hours of joy or inspiration from the books I left made me feel instantly better!
    Well done you! I too have difficulty giving up books but there are times when it just has to be done and armed with the knowledge that someone else will enjoy them I move on and search out my next book adventure, so the space freed up is soon filled lol.

I don't know if I'm getting stronger, or just resigned that things must go, I honestly don't feel badly for getting rid of some stuff that I kept shifting from pillar to post, instead I'm just feeling free-er somehow.

I think as we get older we realise we do not need all the things around us to keep the memories we love. I quite like it when all the clutter has been disposed of in our Lounge and everything looks fresh and clear - teaching guys to put the clutter away is always my problem LOL

I think as we get older we realise we do not need all the things around us to keep the memories we love.
    SO true.

I have found treasure whilst continuing my de-clutter - 6 handbags, 3 of which are new (sssssh don't tell my hubby). I had hidden them at the back of the cupboard last year, so now they are by the shoes

I have found treasure whilst continuing my de-clutter - 6 handbags, 3 of which are new (sssssh don't tell my hubby). I had hidden them at the back of the cupboard last year, so now they are by the shoes
    I promise I won't tell, Rosie.

My decluttering is a hit and miss stage these days.

I have to get a move on as I need to sort my winter/summer clothes and take the rest to the goodwill.

Have the upcoming Saturday to myself so I stand more a chance to get a lot done without interruptions, looking forward to that.

I don't really know why, but my de-cluttering is in hiatus, maybe it's the nice sunny weather calling me to take a book outside and just enjoy.

Then it shows there are more important things, like the glorious weather. Maybe save the de-clutter for those dark days when you cannot go anywhere :-). Let's start a new trend called "Autumn cleaning"

Then it shows there are more important things, like the glorious weather. Maybe save the de-clutter for those dark days when you cannot go anywhere :-). Let's start a new trend called "Autumn cleaning"

That is a good idea, Rosie!

That is a good idea, Rosie!
    I am known for having them from time to time

Spring cleaning? I have so little stuff, that I don't have to worry about that. That is the ultimate clutter management.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    Spring cleaning? I have so little stuff, that I don't have to worry about that. That is the ultimate clutter management.
    I used to be the same, then I had more closet space, more rooms and slowly, un-noticed they get filled.

So for me de-cluttering was needed periodically, clothes bought and not worn in past 12 months are distributed, along with 10 of the 12 bags I have and the matching shoes, storage boxes that hold nothing are binned and keeping things "just in case" are finally disposed of until finally there is space again!

The magic trick then is NOT to fill the space with more clutter. That one takes time and discipline.

I suppose it is a bit harder for women. Dresses and shoes ...
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

I suppose it is a bit harder for women. Dresses and shoes ...
    It can be as we do get a bit delusional about our ability to get into clothes from 10 years ago (speaking for myself before I get a barrage from other ladies ).

However, I also have two guys who insist on keeping every bit of string / paper / screws / wood etc etc etc "just in case it's needed" - so it is not exclusively a female trait.

Well, there is that too. If you lose weight, the clothes are too big. If you gain weight, the clothes are too small. Better keep them all.

I am not exactly a handyman myself, but I do keep the basics at home. You never know when you have to screw something open.

Well, there is that too. If you lose weight, the clothes are too big. If you gain weight, the clothes are too small. Better keep them all.

I am not exactly a handyman myself, but I do keep the basics at home. You never know when you have to screw something open.
    also handy if you need to close something up to hide the evidence

Thread Information