Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Wheat, the Whole Wheat & nothing but the Wheat

A little update. Still enjoying eating this new way and slipping in a few old style treats but understanding how much I have of them affects how I feel.

I had reached my first check point and found it difficult to get below it, I had increased my step aerobics and walking with the dogs but still I stayed at this one point.

Then, I did some body measurement and I realised that I was losing inches

So now I've managed to do two strict control days and I'm finally under my checkpoint and on my way to my final goal weight.

I know as the colder weather approaches it's way too tempting to eat all that is sweet or fatty so I've been using an online programme which records the foods and workouts I do and it really helps. MyFitnessPal.

I shall be putting together some really tasty recipes and will drop them on here for others to view. For now, be happy and healthy.

You are an inspiration for getting in reach of your goal, Rosie, AWESOME!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Update whilst I have a few moments in my busy schedule. Am successfully continuing my weight loss, even though its is only half a kilo per week one week and then static the next. It's all going well and I am still enjoying treats.

Xmas will be my downfall if I'm not careful so I'm looking at making lighter options for myself - I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ROAST POTATES - yes I shouted that intentionally.

Crispy, buttery, potatoes that taste delicious hot or cold (am drooling right now) and for Xmas I use Duck Fat to make them extra crispy. So I'm using a low fat cooking oil instead which is quite nice to taste, those will be just for me.

Have also completed my Indian paste - tested it a couple of times - it has quite a chilli kick but still delicious & using low fat creme fraiche instead of cream I can still enjoy a lovely korma!

I'm really happy to have lost what I have so far and more importantly my health has seen great improvements.

Looking forward to Spring/Summer next year when I can get into all my lovely summery clothes.

Rosie, I LOVE your threads and your Writing, you make everything SO real that I can taste the food the prepare!

It's awesome to hear your weight loss is going well and helping with your health. The lady doctor I've seen also told me the same even though I knew it within, and knew I needed to step up the process myself, and am doing so to the best of my ability. Yes, Christmas will be a touch hard with all the great food my husband sets out, but I plan to be more present with how much I eat, as I'm trying to do now. I'm also looking forward to the new season of "The Biggest Loser" which starts in January, been watching that show about the second season when a dear friend told me about it. That show is a big help to me as well.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Great to see the diet working for you! What about protiens? have you had to increase them?

Quote Originally Posted by jayjaylandy View Post
    Great to see the diet working for you! What about protiens? have you had to increase them?

Hi JayJayLady - welcome to this thread.

I have thoroughly enjoyed eating the way I have (and still am) for the first time in my errrm ** years of life . It has been a struggle to lose weight and with this pattern I lost a great deal quicker than normal without health consequences and I am, happy to say, still losing it albeit at a slower rate.

Proteins - I have to ensure a good balance during the week. They say 2 pieces of oily fish per week but I'm not a big lover of this, so I substitute it with a huge amount of veggies and 1 portion of oily fish. As for meat, well I tend to eat tons of chicken/turkey which is allowed on whatever diet you're on (health or weightloss) and once a month I have some red meat (am not a huge eater of this anyway) but tend to stay away from pork/lamb (these I find tasteless (pork) and way too fatty (lamb)).

I've had to learn to eat more cheese than I have done before but I've realised that I can have full fat cheese once a week and not put weight on.

Being not a great lover of lentils also I tend to eat couscous and the pasta's/rice availalbe as in my previous messages.

For me the biggest change is being able to eat bread without having stomach issues. I cannot believe it was so simple.

Frankly, the rest is just common sense. Have what you like, when you want, but in smaller quantities

If you are working on something for yourself I'm happy to post some of my recipes online.

A little update.

Well all the festivities are over and I am ............. wait for it ........... 1kg heavier than I was before............. yahooooooooooooooooo!!! Very pleased with that.

I managed to restrain myself from all the goodies I had made for everyone else but still managed to enjoy a few occassions of some "treats" along the way.

The one great thing I've found is that I no longer crave chocolate the way I used to. I now seem to have a more savoury pallete which is great.

Knocking out sugar for Canderal sweetners has been good too as I am finding soft drinks (especially fizzy) are not to my liking.

I have taken to making my own versions of ready meals in bulk so I've always got something tasty in the freezer or fridge.

Along with this I've had to make some meals for hubby who had mouth surgery and is on a liquid diet for 6 weeks in total. It is not necessarily about how it looks but that the food is packed with flavours.

His favourites are (all made and then pureed):

Split pea soup (my version)

500g Split peas (washed)
    1 Laurel Leaf (optional - gives a bitter taste but we find it is not necessary - tip - tie it to a piece of thread/string so you can take it out easier)
    500g Bacon pieces (we use something called spek and with less fat)
    2 Litres water

Bring to boil in a heavy bottomed pan with a lid and then drop to a simmer for 45 mins (lid on), making sure to stir every few minutes to stop it catching in the pan.

Meanwhile cut into small pieces (if you plan to puree) the following:

2 Leeks
    2 Carrots
    2 Yellow onions
    some flat leaf parsley
    Half a Celeriac (now if you dont have this I use celery salt & 5 stalks of celery)

After the 45 minutes, take out the Laurel leaf if you used it, add the above veggies and bring to a boil (it will be quite thick by now) and then down to a simmer (lid on) for another 30/45 minutes.

It should be a thick soup but if you don't want it to be just add a little more water when adding the veggies.

Da daaaaaaaaaa done! Tastes a bit like a smokey bacon pea soup or, for those who know mushy peas, it's like a smokey bacon version of that - delish!

Other than that I've been making other soups (naturally) and then a version of cottage pie by using beef & mushroom stock cubes with the meat, adding veggies and then making it into a puree - served with super mashed potatoes with spinach in cream.

Well that's my quick update. I've a few more weeks of finding interesting dishes and will let you know how I succeed.

Hmm........ wonder if I can make a pureed version of Lasagne ....... am off to try - wish me luck!

Congrats on being happy with what the scale is telling you Rosie!

Now, where are the leftovers for me? :P
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Thanks Vautrin (Bedankt) ..... we have tons in the freezer anytime

"Etwensoep my way" is becoming my speciality LOL.

Now if you were about tomorrow is going to be Chicken/Mushroom with Puree Potato's & Spinach in cream.

Felling Hungry yet

Yeah, I do.

Naturally of course I seem to have contracted a horrible cold, that just does not want to get better. I can't get feeling warm.

Erwtensoep would really help with that. I take it you don't do deliveries to The Hague?
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    Yeah, I do.

Naturally of course I seem to have contracted a horrible cold, that just does not want to get better. I can't get feeling warm.

Erwtensoep would really help with that. I take it you don't do deliveries to The Hague?
    I see I spelt Erwtensoep wrong lol ....... its much easier in English - Pea Soup LOL. As for deliveries - a bit far for it to arrive hot

Hope you feel better soon

Update on life in the world of Wheat

Its been a testing time to keep up the the wholewheat challenge when there have been days when the craving for a nice fresh white loaf of bread, a slab of salty butter and a chunk of good tasting cheese is all that you want.

I have found that when I have given in to the craving I've paid for it big time. Seems that my system is now fully converted to wholewheat foods.

Still exploring new ways of livening up my diet and the latest is Wholewheat Muselli with nuts and berries and, before you go 'oh no, boring dried stuff again' I must admit to have been converted as this blend seems to work really well with a flavoured yoghurt.

As we're approaching the Festive seasons (Thanksgiving and Xmas) I'm having to review what I shall be presenting to the family, so am researching some tasty treats. An ideas anyone has would be very welcome

This weekend I shall be clearing the freezers out ready to for the stuff I can do ahead of time and, of course, the turkey. Only this and 6 more weekends before it's Xmas......... help!

Really not sure what to suggest to be honest. I suggest you do some research, and happily partake in the offerings yourself as well. Any particular theme / requirements or things that have to be there?

I am still at the age, that I can eat whatever I want without too many adverse consequences. But to be fair, I hardly eat naughty stuff, and even today for dinner I made brown rice, with a few veggies.

It is hard balancing what my needs are against what others want on such occassions as Xmas Lunch. So I've decided to do my normal, fantastic tasting Christmas Dinner for the others and I'll find some alternatives for myself - makes my life so much simpler. Now to get the rest of the Xmas prep done...... agh!!

Speaking of Christmas, we still have to plan for that over here as well. At least snow and trees won't be involved ..

Plans are underway, menu has been created, I'm busy buying the ingredients and doing prep, some of the pressies are already in hand, still got about 5 to get and drop subtle hints to hubby about what I want (although to be fair I really don't 'want' anything), Xmas tree is artificial, has been for 15 years, although it is running a bit sparse in places.

Next weekend is finalise the table settings (always a different theme each year to keep those diners amused) and to find things for the youngsters to do to keep them amused .

So, if you need some ideas............ I've tons of them

It may end up being a bit of a family holiday (with the wife's side of the family). Thankfully not much in terms of organising, deciding who gets to eat what, seated where, etc ...

Thread Information