Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Happy Wheat, the Whole Wheat & nothing but the Wheat

I have found the secret to my personal search as to how to loose weight. Wheat! Who would have thought it after all these years.

Before you think I'm having to give it up - nope! I have to eat more!!!

My eating history has been governed by stomach issues for the past 10 years and I thought I would never get it right. I have had to take medication for way too long.

I do not think there has been a diet I have not tried .... ooh yes there is one..... the 'cabbage soup' one. Somehow did not feel the need to force other people to relive the after effects of this lovely vegetable. I'd rather people remark on my Prada perfume that any other aroma ...... thank you LOLOL.

So I visited a dietician (not for the first time in the past 10 years I must admit) and I fully expected to find this 'stick woman' about to tell me how naughty I've been all my life for eating butter, cheese, bread, potatoes, etc etc etc (you all know how it goes).

Instead I met this lovely young lady who, by her own admission, does not eat healthy every day and certainly does not admonish people if they deviate from her ideas and recommendations.

We spent an hour together and I must admit I have not laughed so much in a long time. Yes, big round belly laughs. We talked about all kinds of subjects, things not related to eating, she was hilarious and between us we somehow worked out an eating plan for me (note how the word 'diet' has been replaced) so that I could begin to change things slowly.

When she said "ok, you know you have to cut fats, that's a given" - I nodded and thought here we go.

"I want you to try muselli or All Bran as two of your breakfasts each week" I thought ok not too bad but is she about to give me the eat cardboard plan.

"I want you to change all your carbs to Whole wheat - bread, pasta, tortilla" hmm, ok that's not too bad I like wholewheat bread.

"Just make sure you drink as much water as you can per day to help with the wholewheat", sure, I can do that, heck it's Summer anyway.

So I waited .......... and waited ........ and waited for the Bombshell of eating salad, veggies, low fat this and the other and dont drink anything nice and you can't have cookies etc etc etc. It didn't arrive.

She laughed and said "That's it".

No lecture. No you MUST be this weight by this time. No I want a detailed food diary.

Absolutely nothing other than "I will email the plan, you know the rest yourself, so I shall see you in 4 weeks".

I came away feeling a very happy person that had an 'adult' conversation with someone who listened and offered advice, not a regime.

So, guess what.

I've been on this Wholewheat di... erm plan he he, for 2 weeks and I love it.

Naturally Ive cut down on the fats to 0% or half-fat in most cases but still have my Lurpak on toast, just not so much.

I am voluntarily eating more fruit (I always did eat some) and now I have twice as much veg and salad (which I also love) than before because I always thought it would be too greedy. I also get to eat couscous, treats, desserts (being sensible of course) and have my favourite Ice tea drink.

I AM LOSING WEIGHT. I FEEL WONDEEEEEEERFUL.

I have a long way to go to my own goal weight but it is working.

I also have not had to take a stomach medication for the first time in 10 years and all the ladies out there who know about that bloated feeling, that has disappeared. I am proud to say the only thing I see now when I look down is my bust

I shall keep posting as a small diary but just wanted to share how great I feel................ which is .......... I FEEL WONDERFUL

Re: Wheat, the Whole Wheat & nothing but the Wheat

Nice!

Glad that this "diet" is working for you. Yay to eating pasta, yay to not having to go for the cabbage soup!

By the way, any restrictions on sugar?
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    Nice!

Glad that this "diet" is working for you. Yay to eating pasta, yay to not having to go for the cabbage soup!

By the way, any restrictions on sugar?
    I'm very happy with the changes. The extra energy and feeling good are increased by the added effect of loosing weight.

Sugar restrictions : Yes, have swapped to Canderel for the few hot drinks I have and when I do baking again for the others (they too are trying to eat healthier to help me, sweet) I shall use it in there.

However, I have always been observant of sugar content in foods etc as there is a history of diabetes in other halfs side of the family and we learnt early on that the youngsters suffered 'sugar crashes' causing headaches & migraines if they consumed too much.

On a different note, how is your adventure going?

I have to share ............... 4kg lighter .......... yipeeeee.

Other half is happy as apparently I dont need to buy any new summer clothes

Rosie, those of us with trying to keep our weight on an even keel as much as possible, I say "YAY" in capital letters to you and to find what works as well!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    Rosie, those of us with trying to keep our weight on an even keel as much as possible, I say "YAY" in capital letters to you and to find what works as well!
    Thank you lovely lady.

I have a long road ahead but so pleased with the start. I need to get as good as I can before the Autumn/Winter and try my best to keep it balanced then. That's for later though.

Today ..... I feel like

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Sanchez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    Thank you lovely lady.

I have a long road ahead but so pleased with the start. I need to get as good as I can before the Autumn/Winter and try my best to keep it balanced then. That's for later though.

Today ..... I feel like :dance1:
    Awesome, Rosie!

I don't know why, but it seems the last ten pounds needed to reach a goal for the weight needed, are somehow the hardest to do and the easiest to sabotage. Could it be that when one reaches the goal that another needs to take it's place? I'll find the answer once I get to my goal and talk about it then....
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

I don't know why, but it seems the last ten pounds needed to reach a goal for the weight needed, are somehow the hardest to do and the easiest to sabotage. Could it be that when one reaches the goal that another needs to take it's place? I'll find the answer once I get to my goal and talk about it then....
    That's certainly true. I'm trying not to focus too far ahead and enjoying my achievements each week. I shall face the plateau when it hits :-).

That's certainly true. I'm trying not to focus too far ahead and enjoying my achievements each week. I shall face the plateau when it hits :-).

Very, very good advice!

I'm still enjoying the change in my eating.

Had a bit of a challenge when today, at the supermarket, there were all these delicious aroma's, cookies and goodies on sale, ice creams and free samples and I had not had breakfast (my mistake rushing about before we left - I forgot).

To top it off they were cooking burgers & onions at the entrance. NOoooooooooooo
    I can live without the burger as really don't like them but that aroma of onions........oooh ..... why do they smell so delicious.

Check-in day today and yeah - another 2lbs off and general measurements are getting smaller. Yipee.

It's been hard this last week to keep to the plan, obviously my "aaagh I want nice stuff" craving week, however, I've managed to get through that and ready to attack the right way of eating again.

I have my check up next week so definitely want to show 'Miss' that I'm a good girl and have done my homework and get a gold star LOL

Check-in day today and yeah - another 2lbs off and general measurements are getting smaller. Yipee.

It's been hard this last week to keep to the plan, obviously my "aaagh I want nice stuff" craving week, however, I've managed to get through that and ready to attack the right way of eating again.

I have my check up next week so definitely want to show 'Miss' that I'm a good girl and have done my homework and get a gold star LOL
    Way to go, Rosie!

As for me, I'm drifting somehow and thinking positively about it instead of putting myself down about those ten pounds. Something still seems to need some looking inward and, now having found the peace I've always prayed for and craved, I seem to just want to be in it all the time and not to make waves.

What was HUGE for me was trying on a dress that still fit nicely which I purchased years ago and still looks quite new. I'm quite okay with that in case we do go to the wedding, not sure about that decision though...

Rosie, I hope I'm not sabotaging your thread by posting what is going on with me as I feel we are in a kinship.

Dear Luba you could never sabotage anything - you know I love the freeness of your posts

Glad to hear you feel good in an outfit from years ago, that has to bring you some joy, so keep on with what you're doing and if you loose a couple more pounds then it will sit more elegantly

I too have outfits I love and aim to wear them again. You'll hear about it when I can get into them

Wonder if they do a wholewheat ice-cream or ice lolly LOL.

I'm finding, now that my consumption of wholewheat is established and the initial weight loss has slowed, it's time to revisit the rest of what I eat to allow further loss. I'm still eating wholewheat and found I am feeling much healthier and best of all I have not had to take medication, which is part of the cause of my problems.

I've also given up spread on bread (like margarine or butter) as it gets lost in the bread anyway. I also have to admit I do enjoy the particular museli I have chosen, which is less like rabbit food and has more fruit and nuts that expected

Fighting the need for sugar and chocolate was always going to be a challenge but that's been sorted by Kellogs All Bran choc biscuits and Fresh Red/Yellow peppers with sweetcorn. Yummy.

Would love to hear from someone else who has changed their diet and if they have any advice on how to get through the next stage of continuing weight loss.

Would love to hear from someone else who has changed their diet and if they have any advice on how to get through the next stage of continuing weight loss.
    To remind myself for later to return to post what I totally did change and can't believe it that it's actually an amazing accomplishment for me as it's lasted and, I believe, will last, too.

Whooo hoo .. .... another successful weight loss week and more importantly not having to take medication.

Love this eating plan - I'm now in the zone and seeing the rewards.

Still got a way to go but I'm not in a hurry.

Booooo .......

Why is it that there are people out there who just want to scupper your plans.

Does anyone else have a friend who, when they know you are on a diet (ok I said the word), that go out of their way to make sure when you are invited to lunch or dinner, they buy Only White bread, Only high fat butter, Only high fat meat etc etc etc.

I have now spent 3 days in absolute agony because of a "so called friend" who did this to me over the weekend. We had talked about how I was coping with the wholewheat eating and that she'd make sure she had something for me. I even said if you don't I can bring my own - I did that with another housewarming.

So my trusting self arrived to enjoy an afternoon of pleasant company and good food to be faced with every possible form of greasy BBQ food and every salad had tons of mayo or dressing all over it.

When I questioned her she smiled and said "oh, I forgot you're trying to lose weight".

This speak volumes as to her intentions but I was not going to let her get away with it and explained, in front of the other guests, that I have a health problem which meant I cannot eat the things I used to. I was NOT prepared to go quietly, not this time.

I ended up having to eat white bread sandwiches as, frankly, I was hungry and we were several hours away from home.

I now know, for me, one of the causes of my stomach problems has been white bread as I spent 3 days in absolute agony and having to resort to my medication.

My 'friend' has apologised but I think I can do without this sort of friendship - don't you?

Geez. Sounds like someone hating the idea of you losing weight
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    Geez. Sounds like someone hating the idea of you losing weight
    Did you ever have anyone like that in your life? The one that is only comfortable with your friendship when you are having personal difficulties, whether it be love, life, health, job etc?

This person is that way. I had distanced myself from her for some time. This gathering was the first one in a long time and I see that she might be 'older' but she is certainly not 'wiser'

Looks like distance is a necessary thing in her case. Like I said earlier :

I SHALL NOT GO QUIETLY

Now, more than ever I am determined to continue my eating plan, not just for health benefits but so that I can be just a little petty and post a suitable photo of my new look

Sounds like a plan.

I shall follow that memorable quote used by that well known charachter : Hannibal Smith

"I love it when a plan comes together"

Wow it's been a while since I posted. Amazing how the Summer has a habit of taking over.

Well so far my Wholewheat eating plan is working fantastically. I am 1kg away from reaching my first goal and despite having days where KFC was just to good to refused (boneless/skinless of course) I've managed to feel great.

I actually now miss having wholewheat if I'm in a position where others are in charge of food.

My absolute favourite is Wholewheat pasta. Love, love love it.

Now I must add gentle exercise is included - I'm not the kind to be doing pushups from dawn to dusk, in fact, not sure I'd be able to do a push-up anyway LOL.

Walking and low impact aerobics (which, by the way, drives my dogs wild as they cannot understand why I've waving my arms around and not have a cooking at the end of them) both work well for me.

Next adventure is to get on my bike. A feat of daring I can tell you as I last rode it some 5/6 years ago.

Well that's my update for now. Will touch base again when I've mastered the art of cycling without falling off or the need for stablisers.

I failed

My bike came out of the shed, I cleaned it, I adjusted all the seating and checked the brakes, was all set to head off into the sunset and have popped my back out (again)!

So we are about to have the beginnings of bad weather and the bike, pristine and clean, has now gone back into the shed.

This thread is very inspiring, Rosie, love catching up and reading about your journey.

I know I wasn't meant to be on a bike as maybe we were just meant to be walkers to enjoy every bit of Nature we pass by?

I know I wasn't meant to be on a bike as maybe we were just meant to be walkers to enjoy every bit of Nature we pass by?
    How true dear Luba I used to ride everywhere on my bike when I was oooh so much younger but then I didn't have a car. I try periodically to get on the bike but seem doomed to one disaster after another.

The bike coming out the shed did, however, give me a boost as when I sat on it, not only did it not sink so low (lol) but also i had a very clear space between me and the handlebars ............... whooooooo hoo.

oOh I'm busy looking into some healthy spicy indian recipes so will post some on here. Am still sticking (and loving) the wholewheat diet as there are so many varieties of bread etc to choose from.

We did try Quinoa with rice & speelt ......... do not try it ..... it's like eating little pieces of cardboard ..... yeuk ...... you should haved seen hubbies face

Thread Information