Smile Migraine - So much more than a headache

I'm just the other side of a one day migraine, which for me was pretty quick. When those three day ones hit my whole world stops!

For those who think a migraine is just a very bad headache, think again!

At it's worst you cannot tolerate any light / sound / movement / food /drink and most of us closet ourselves in a darkened room and hope the world stops so it will all go away.

I am one of the 'lucky' people who tend to have them twice a year (she says reaching for the closest piece of wood to touch ) and never had any until I suffered a fall down the stairs about 10 years ago. Therefore I have no 'food' triggers or, in fact, any other type of trigger that gives me a clue I'm about to get one.

The fact this last one was so light was a relief and on a positive note, a great help in my eating plan

Medication sometimes helps, buy they are made for a generic type of symptoms and all of us react differently.

What I do when it's over is to drink as much water as I can and eat fruit and non-fat foods for the following day. I find I recover quicker from the headache that's left.

I would love to hear from anyone who has their own ways of dealing with migraines.

Re: Migraine - So much more than a headache

I get them quite regularly. About once every two months or so. No real triggers, and often I think it is just a headache. However, when I take the paracetamols, and they don't go away, I know I will be in for a rough day.

Luckily, they are not extremely severe, so usually a couple of hours in darkness will do the trick. Quiet would help as well, but sadly, currently I am staying near a major road, and the Kenyan drivers, are at best idiots on the road (it is not uncommon to see half the street lights knocked out in a street, due to drunk drivers hitting them).
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

It's no fun when you do get them as you know Vautrin. I really consider myself lucky that I have so few these days. Initially I had them every 2 weeks as they were linked to my fall.

I went through all the 'trigger' tests at the time and passed all of them. I have two eye masks I use and ear plugs when it's at its worst.

For now I hope this is mine for this year and I can enjoy the Summer and this heat wave we have now.

OOH dear ...... (smiling at the thought of a person standing in front of a lamp-post and hitting it, whilst talking gibberish from being drunk).

Rosie and Vautrin, my heart goes out to you!

Our youngest son suffers terribly with them as well as another extended family member so I realize how terrible they can be! Worse when a person doesn't know what brings them on as they happen so often.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    Rosie and Vautrin, my heart goes out to you!

Our youngest son suffers terribly with them as well as another extended family member so I realize how terrible they can be! Worse when a person doesn't know what brings them on as they happen so often.

Thanks Luba. Like I said I'm quite lucky but have sympathy for others who suffer so much.

Thread Information