Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Happy Unusual Christmas Gifts .... Ideas please!

Well it's getting closer and as usualy I'm struggling to find something unique and different for friends and family.

I do like to surprise them each year with something that is not expensive or that everyone in the world has.

Crochet seems to be taking an upturn over here so I've got a few winter gloves & headbands I can make for the ladies but........ooh dear..... I'm laughing so hard that I can hardly type ........ I do draw the line at doing the following for the guys :

New Fashion For Men: Crochet Shorts Made From Recycled Vintage Blankets | Bored Panda

Re: Unusual Christmas Gifts .... Ideas please!

My husband and I just had a laugh at looking at those crocheted shorts for men! He then frowned and said they would be pretty darn itchy to wear.

Rosie about Christmas ideas. I'm sorry I'm just not a shopper as we live on limited income and are quite frugal. I am in the beginning stages of drawing and painting Christmas cards and writing my own special note inside about how I feel about the person/persons I'm sending it, too. I've been touched by reception I received when I've painted my own birthday cards and sent them in the past. For me, that's a personal and a way of showing how much family/friends are loved.

For my husband I generally buy food that keeps that he loves but normally wouldn't buy for himself, choosing instead to buy treats for me, healthy ones mostly.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

I am in the beginning stages of drawing and painting Christmas cards and writing my own special note inside about how I feel about the person/persons I'm sending it, too.
    Wow, Luba ...... I guessed you would be like me, more about making things rather than buying them. I would love to see one of your cards when it's finished

Our two are now old enough to know the value of money and this year we will be celebrating being "together" rather than "what expensive gift did I get" as there will be none.

I have found a few brilliant containers I can make out of ... wait for it.... a pringle can LOL.

I have decided to draw on my cooking talents and make some old style english cookies, rum chocolate truffles and individual Baileys chocolate logs. All things I have done in the past for our Xmas festivities but this time they get to take them home. OOOh I shall also add a Mason jar filled with hot chocolate .....

Back To Organic – Rich and Creamy Cocoa in a Festive Mason Jar

or some other goodies.

As the children are no longer living at home it is more important to enjoy each other's company than the gift.

So in preparation for the festivities .............. WE HAVE BOUGHT THE TURKEY ............ yeahhh .... Xmas countdown has now officially begun today!!

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    My husband and I just had a laugh at looking at those crocheted shorts for men! He then frowned and said they would be pretty darn itchy to wear.
    Yeah, but he might enjoy having a reason to take them off .
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post

Ha ha ha ... we've missed you Vautrin!

I've been looking for some alternatives for men and found a perfect start ...

I'd rather have some of your chocolate rum cookies. Sound appetizing.

Not really sure where I'll be. I'll probably be at my parents', for the first time in a 3 years. The other times I have been in Kenya. Pretty sure that will be a hectic Christmas.

And we never celebrated Christmas with presents. We had Sinterklaas for that.

As for gift suggestions: I would not really know what to suggest. I am horrible coming up with presents for others or for myself (the last time I actually knew what I wanted for my birthday must have been 20 years ago).

Usually I would think that the best gifts centre on the joy of having family / company. So it does not have to be anything outrageous. Just a polite reminder, that the other crazies and you have something in common with each other.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

I must admit I'm the same when it comes to gifts. I would much prefer to spend time visiting places rather than gathering unnecessary gifts. I recently discovered I have enough candles (scented and unscented) gathered from previous Christmases (as I made the mistake of saying, I like candles) that I can light my house for over a year if I lit 20 per day!

We celebrate Christmas and for the first time in a few years it's going to be a full house! In-laws are ALL attending which has made me have a mild panic as I now have to figure out where the heck am I going to seat them all LOL.

I love making Christmas Dinner for everyone, despite spending the best part of the day in the Kitchen . Christmas Day is for the family but Boxing Day (2nd Kerstdagen) is for me. I point everyone to the Kitchen with instructions to "help themselves" as I chill out and watch old time Christmas Movies ........which for me begins always with "White Christmas".

NO comment!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

I have to put this on here as am laughing so hard. I asked my lovely neighbour what was the most unusual christmas present she had from her husband in recent year?

Was it a Spa break?
    Was it a romantic dinner?
    Was it jewellery?
    Was it making pottery?

nope ........... he bought her .......................... a wheelbarrow

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Sanchez View Post
    I have to put this on here as am laughing so hard. I asked my lovely neighbour what was the most unusual christmas present she had from her husband in recent year?

Was it a Spa break?
    Was it a romantic dinner?
    Was it jewellery?
    Was it making pottery?

nope ........... he bought her .......................... a wheelbarrow

That reminds me of another gift that my husband's uncle gave his wife on a special occasion, a rolling pin! When I heard that I laughed and laughed and just posting that, I'm laughing again.

I love hearing about quirky gifts given as they make for a wonderful memory and a great story for later years

Two years ago my hubby gave me a handmade voucher to go and see a movie of my choice - he's not much of a theatre or movie goer so this was a big thing. I choose to see Les Miserables ...ermm a 3 hour movie LOL.

So off we went to a movie theatre that was an hour away as it was the only one showing it, I grabbed some goodies and drinks and settled down to watch the movie.

3 hours later I asked how he enjoyed the movie and suprisingly he did, however, he could not get over how expensive the goodies and drinks were. In fact, for the next two weeks that's all anyone heard LOLOLOL.

I'm looking forward to December as he's already bought my Christmas gift and that is to go and see the Nutcracker Ballet, one of my dearest wishes, and yes, he will be accompanying me. Maybe I should take a bottle of drink in my handbag

That reminds me of another gift that my husband's uncle gave his wife on a special occasion, a rolling pin! When I heard that I laughed and laughed and just posting that, I'm laughing again.
    Maybe he needed a hit to the head. I'd be surprised if the wife did not oblige.

LOLOL. I guess you'll make sure you dont a rolling pin for anyone then Vautrin!

I've just found this as a suggestion for an unusual gift.....

I'm looking forward to December as he's already bought my Christmas gift and that is to go and see the Nutcracker Ballet, one of my dearest wishes, and yes, he will be accompanying me. Maybe I should take a bottle of drink in my handbag
    [quote] LOVE your post, Rosie! Ohhhh, how I would LOVE to see that Ballet in person, I'm sure I would be SO happy that I would sit there and be in tears throughout! My husband doesn't like any of that at all, including going to the movies where he slept through one entirely that we saw together many, many, many years ago.

Maybe he needed a hit to the head. I'd be surprised if the wife did not oblige.

Actually they have been divorced now for many, many years and I don't know what happened to the rolling pin either.

ooh Luba - if we were closer I'd gladly take you with me to the Ballet! I shall make sure to tell you all about it once I've been.

Wow it's getting closer now and I've still a few missing gifts. Almost done with all the handmade stuff, will be finishing those off this weekend. Just got the 'reading pillows' and 'tea trees' to do.

Next week is scheduled for baking - all the stuff i can put in the freezer to make the day go easier. Coffee/Walnut muffins, Jammie Dodger Biscuits, Cinammon cookies (in shapes for the little one) and anything else I can think off.

How is everyone doing with their Xmas pressies?

My family never has done Christmas with presents, so that means by default that I am done shopping

P.S. when do you have the time to bake AND send some of the things you make to your friends?

My family never has done Christmas with presents, so that means by default that I am done shopping

P.S. when do you have the time to bake AND send some of the things you make to your friends?
    I can multi-task - I am woman - hear me ............ mutter mutter mutter LOL

I have to keep busy so I find projects to fill my time and once a week I do some baking as we've found sometime shop bought stuff does not suit us. So there will now always been cookies/cake in my house, to go with a good cup of Coffee

Wow it's getting closer now and I've still a few missing gifts. Almost done with all the handmade stuff, will be finishing those off this weekend. Just got the 'reading pillows' and 'tea trees' to do.

Next week is scheduled for baking - all the stuff i can put in the freezer to make the day go easier. Coffee/Walnut muffins, Jammie Dodger Biscuits, Cinammon cookies (in shapes for the little one) and anything else I can think off.

How is everyone doing with their Xmas pressies?
    I'm happy to say I'm finished with all and am kind of goofing off in December. Never mind, Luba, saying 'kind of' I AM goofing off in December!

I didn't send any of my home-made painted Christmas cards this year as I felt I wanted to write a very personal message within, but time got away on me as those cards do take time. That being said, I hope to start earlier next year but am being gentle with myself about making 'stern have-to' decisions as I'm still healing and know that gentleness towards myself is what I need to do.

Sometimes dear Luba other things take over and those who care will understand

The crochet underwear just about kills me! How about creating fun coupons? like a free hug, cooked meal, wash you car type of thing?

I like the coupon idea!

My husband would love this!

Quote Originally Posted by jayjaylandy View Post
    The crochet underwear just about kills me! How about creating fun coupons? like a free hug, cooked meal, wash you car type of thing?

I know .... the crochet underwear is so funny, I am seriously tempted to make some.

Thanks for those other ideas .

Quote Originally Posted by beckyj View Post
    I like the coupon idea!

Thinking about this, I gave the idea to the kids as an idea for Father's Day gift .......... I think there are still some outstanding .........now where are they - could do with the car washed!!

Thread Information