Talking, Listening, Advice Skills

I am trying to become a better listener when out with friends or family and it's not easy as I'm learning. As I age, I am laughing more and find laughter where things seemed so serious before, having learned the latter in childhood. Sometimes when a conversation is going on, I can't seem to resist the urge to put some humour into it. Sometimes it is okay, other times it's inappropriate especially if a person is sharing something that hurts them. My only excuse for doing so is that humour has helped me heal a lot in my life and is doing so still, but that doesn't mean it works for everyone at a given time.

I've been reading a lot about 'listening skills'. I have learned that people would rather have someone sit with them, LISTEN to them share what they need to, without oneself waiting to talk to try to cheer the person up, or even offer any advice, especially when NOT asked for it.

I hope those who read this thread will post about their own listening, talking, advice skills. We can always learn more from each other.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Re: Talking, Listening, Advice Skills

Well, I actually prefer reading over listening. That way the person who has the problem, or something they want to get off their chest, won't be interrupted, and they can express themselves freely.

Also in terms of offering advice, when you don't have to respond on the moment itself, you can take stock of the entire situation / everything that is going on, rather than every (reasonable) cue you get to respond.

That also applies to listening: the less you interrupt the person, the more you can let your thoughts go, and imagine yourself being in the situation - but at the same time, you can keep your distance, and offer your advice / opinion when asked for it.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Listening is an essential part of business and I learnt it a long time ago When you have someone "raging" down the telephone to you all they want is to be listened to.

I apply this to my personal life too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Sanchez View Post
    Listening is an essential part of business and I learnt it a long time ago When you have someone "raging" down the telephone to you all they want is to be listened to.

I apply this to my personal life too.
    OH yes, I remember the customer 'raging' part when it was part of my job to hear people's complaints and try very hard to make them feel better. I did find that part of the job very wearing to me....and maybe that's why I don't like being on the telephone much anymore.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Thread Information