Peterson Gets Formal Death Sentence

New trial denied, Peterson gets formal death sentence
    REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (AP) — Scott Peterson will be sent to California's death row after a judge upheld a jury's recommendation that he be sentenced to death for the slayings of his wife and her fetus.

Peterson, 32, learned his fate after San Mateo County Superior Court Judge Alfred Delucchi denied a request by his attorney for a new trial.

In upholding the jury's recommendation, the judge found that the killings "were cruel, uncaring, heartless and callous."

"The court is satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant, Scott Lee Peterson, is guilty of first-degree murder" and second degree, Delucchi said.

"The factors in aggravation are so substantial when compared to the factors of mitigation that death is warranted."

Rest of Story/Link: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...-hearing_x.htm
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    I find it interesting that 'Baby Connor' is now being called a 'fetus' since the trial is over...but anyway....

Tht stuck out to me too how now the baby is being called a fetus. I am very happy that he will be put to death though. He deserves to die for killing his wife and unborn child. The guy shows no remorse for doing that either! he's getting what he deserves.
    Life is what you make of it. Make it happen.

I think it's odd that Peterson got the death penalty for circumstancial evidence (even though I think he did it)...while Robert Blake was found NOT guilty and he had his pistol fall out of his pants leg in the middle of a restaurant right before his wife got shot in the car. Go figure!

I HATE Scott Peterson, and I am glad he will get the death penalty, however I feel that lethal injection is way to easy on people like this. I think they should suffer just like the people they killed.

I agree 100%, an eye for an eye.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

I felt like crap last night...so I layed in bed and watched this special on Robert Blake on Court TV. Get this:
    He takes his wife out to dinner and parks the car in a dark alley.
    Afterwards, he leaves her in the car while he goes back to the restaurant to get his pistol he dropped.
    She gets shot. He has gun powder on his hands.
    They find a list in his 'bodyguards' car inlcluding duct tape, carpet, shovel, etc.
    FIVE stunt people testify that Blake offered to pay them to kill his wife.

And they LET HIM OFF! I guess money DOES talk!

sounds like that's another O.J. simpson case. With that kind of evidence, he shouldn't of got off. I can't believe these people with money that get away with murder. i guess the law only applies to people who aren't rich and famous. sickening!
    Life is what you make of it. Make it happen.

That's what I was thinking. :roll:
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

yeah unfortunatly eye for an eye in illegal under the constituition, no cruel or unusual punishment.

Agreed, it is unfortunate.
    My Daughter Rules!

America loved Robert Blake and hated Scott Peterson

Americans are all nuts to begin with
    My Daughter Rules!

so what does that make you, our cabin fevered friends?

I never said anything about dumb canuckleheads being the center of the universe either :?
    My Daughter Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke
    Americans are all nuts to begin with
    That's not fair. LOL! If it wasn't for the liberals....we'd be quite happy killing off all of death row. If I remember correcly....Canada doesn't impose the death penalty either. People think these creeps can be rehabilitated!

It reminds me of that guy in Florida who has been in prison TWICE for the abduction and rape of little girls. He is now being linked to the 9 year old girl who was taken from her bedroom and is still missing. I hope some prisoner sympathizers and rehabilitation counsellors feel real proud of themselves.

I still think if someone is THAT messed up...you are doing them a favor putting them out of their misery.

I'd warm up the chair and run them all on through. We'd save MILLIONS of dollars and the world would be a better place.

I got this in email and thought I would add it to my post:
    A Thought For Today...

News Item
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Scott Peterson has become the 644th prisoner awaiting death in the execution chamber of San Quentin
    State Prison."

"There is no telling whether Peterson will ever receive a lethal injection. Of the 38 states with the death penalty, California moves the slowest toward executions."

"There are too many inmates with too few lawyers willing to volunteer for the relatively low-paying job. Peterson joins about 120 others who do not yet have lawyers."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why don't they outsource them?

Texas and Virginia don't have a backlog...

I think executions should be PUblicized, skrew the rights of the criminal. If I we're in charge I'd let the victim's faimly kill them how ever they wanted to.

What countires support executions anyway? I wonder if the crime rate differs any

I'm not supporting Canada in this post either, we're equally stupid when it comes to crime and punishment.

I agree with SH from above.
    My Daughter Rules!

Maybe it's only a coincidence......but his mistress' last name is FRY! LMAO!

they should make executions a reality show.

I live in a country where the death penalty does not exist anymore, for quite some time now. With the exceptions for military personnel, in wartime situations. But that is more a formality than anything else, it seems.

Recently there have been more politicians voicing the idea of a reintroduction of the death penalty. We have had a politician killed in 2002, in what was probably a political murder (although the perpetrator was not quite sane), and a filmmaker killed last November.

The second case is still going, and the first case has led to a sentence, which, to Dutch standards is absurdly high. 18 years for a first degree murder is over the top; the motivation of the court included the aspect that the victim was an important member of society, and thus screwed up the basic equality for courts of law. 10-12 years is normal, if the perpetrator is found, and pronounced guilty.
    I believe that statistics show that only 15% of all murders is solved. It might have to do that a lot of murders are made by criminals in the criminal circuit. Justice seems not too bothered to find out exactly what happened in these cases.

Life sentences are rare in the Netherlands. Only 13(!) people serve a life sentence, and most of them have been convicted for multiple first degree murders. Further, there are people who are under psychological treatment / psychiatric treatment, and until finished have to stay behind closed doors. That number is close to 250, but conveniently there are about 60 places for these 250 people. Talking about creating problems, don't we?

Crime rates are relatively low in the Netherlands. And death penalties, or multiple life-sentences don't solve a thing.
    Furthermore, we would have all kinds of trouble, because of international right, and treaties the Dutch government signed, prohibiting the death penalty.

I once saw some footage on Auschwitz, where people were methodically killed with iron efficiency. Ever since then I have found it hard to believe in the prosecutor's innocence.
    Of course, it would be bizarre to compare the death penalty with industrial manslaughter. And I am not doing that; but I am highly distrustful to put matters of life and death in the hands of three human beings (the judges).

I prefer life sentencing. If a mistake is made, it can be corrected, and that is not true of the death penalty. Especially in the US, I fear that death sentencing can lead to processes for billions of dollars, because of a mistake. Dollars that can be spent elsewhere.

Thread Information