Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much should religion play in dating?

I was talking to the girl i like, and i found out that her religion is aga khani which is a small subset of islam, but it borders on being a cult.

I mean i would still go out with her, but i never really noticed religion before, everybody i interact with is some sort of christian.

When I eventually meet someone I want to start dating I'm going to do it on the basis of finding someone I want to marry eventually and not something short term.
    To me, religion plays basically everything when it comes to dating.

I could care less personally.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

I'm with Random, if you can't agree on that (whatever belief it may be) then IMO it just ain't gonna work.

yeah thats what im thinking, though because i know so little about the religion its hard to say, we may have similar beliefs just different religions, and i would convert if i was in love.

Hypothetically speaking, if it is love it can be assumed that you both have a fair amount of similar beliefs, and if you spend more time around her and learn that there are irreconcilable differences in philosophy then you just don't pursue a relationship. So no, specific religion does not really matter to me. I can imagine not pursuing a relationship because of religious differences, but that is more due to the other's specific beliefs and temperment.

That probably came out weird; just for you guys I won't reread it.

It came off wrong how I was trying to say that too. I don't think it can't work because anything is possible, but in my case or the case of others who are very strong about thier beliefs, it's very hard. In your case it might be much easier if you don't have necessarily accept one set of beliefs or belong to a certain church. It really can be a hinderance to the relationship though, it's been a factor in my relationships a couple times.

I still don't care.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

To me....the religion part comes in when looking for someone who shares your same values. How you raise your kids, your priorities, what church you want to go to, your families......all this is easier if you share the same basic common beliefs. If you don't....it will end up being a mess.

yeah, I agree

Merika, what you say is true.

If you belong to a religious sect that is derogatory of other religions, then I would say that you pretty much would have to be of that same religion.

For example, I grew up a Baptist, and we were taught that all Catholics are bad people and going to H#LL. If I subcribed to this train of thought, I would never date anyone who wasn't a Baptist. As I grew older, I realized that this was a very short sighted way to look at things, to say the least.

I know now that this train of thought is very destructive towards developing and evaluating friendships.

I think it's wrong, personally, to judge someone on their belief structure. It's more of your compatability. I've had a few boyfriends and friends to attempt to convert me to their particular religions, and I have yet to appreciate their zeal.

It's not that I don't respect their beliefs, I just wish that they would respect MY beliefs enough to let me be- their religions do not accept tolerance as part of the belief system.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone can believe whatever they want, until it affects me. ;-)

Sorry for my little soap box. ;-) I hope I didn't offend anyone with my little diatribe.

I guess religion would play a part to some extent. I wouldn't marry anyone who was jahovah witness for example because I couldn't live my life that way nor would i want to raise my kids in that religion. Thankfully it never was an issue with anyone that i dated in the past. My boyfriends were either christians or had no religion at all. I married a catholic.
    Life is what you make of it. Make it happen.

i wuldnt mind the sunsect of morman that allows for multiple wives, then my issues with two girls wouldnt be an issue

that part you wouldn't mind DA but how would like like to live off the land only? It would be like living in the "Little house on the prairie" days. no luxuries.

mormon's dont live off the land, thats the amish.

i might be wrong though.

you know, you might be right. i don't know if they're the same or not??

A relationship with me would be next to impossible itself. The woman who is strong enough to take me on, and takes me on without losing her mind, will get me. Simple as that.

Religion would not play a role for me, it is the outlook on life that counts. Relgious fundamentalism is a definitive no-no.

They are definatly not the same, amish live on old technlogy and that sorta thing, mormon's live in utah have colleges and professional careers.

oh ok. but i don't think that mormons only live in utah. there are mormons here. i think they live everywhere just like every other religion.

yeah, but there a lot in utah, they are the majority religion in the state.

Utah's only good for mountain biking anyway. Don't they do nuclear testing over there? That might help to explain the Osmonds teeth.
    My Daughter Rules!

LMAO!!

Re: How much should religion play in dating?

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post

Religion would not play a role for me, it is the outlook on life that counts.
    I thought this was an interesting topic to bring back up. I agree with Vautrin.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

I once accompanied a friend to have breakfast in a family restaurant with a man she was dating and I was about to order pancakes with bacon on the side when her date told me that I can't eat bacon in front of him. He went on making sermons about why I shouldn't eat pork, I ended up arguing with him and that he has no right to tell me what I should or should not eat. .. He told me that he's not going to pay for my meal if I insist on the bacon and so I said FINE!

So for me, dating a man who's going to have a problem with me eating bacons is definitely a NO - NO

" Begin with the ending in mind ~ Stephen Covey "

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post

So for me, dating a man who's going to have a problem with me eating bacons is definitely a NO - NO
    I'd say that was quite extreme on his part, telling you what you should or should not eat. Did your friend end up marrying the man?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

I agree Luba. I think that man is so full of himself he wants us to respect him and his " beliefs " , but he wouldn't respect us. Had he ask in a nice manner , I would've skipped the bacon but his tone was very rude, like I'm supposed to take orders from him, so I also didn't make any effort to be nice. I would've ordered all the pork dishes on the menu just to annoy him!

My friend & I was renting the same apartment at that time and when we got home I was able to convince her to avoid and not see him again. They didn't even got into a relationship =P

" Begin with the ending in mind ~ Stephen Covey "

Thread Information