Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oldest thing EVER or Much Ado About Nothing

very interesting! I thought it kinda looked like a broken piece of beer bottle. :?
    Life is what you make of it. Make it happen.

I think it's a chunk off of one of Merikas beer bottles.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

wow, 4.4 billion years old!!!1 too bad i don't believe in evolution.

it looks nice, though...

Huh? Who said anything about evolution?

Maybe I need to read my article again.

its a rock, no evolution...but the problem is that the bible claims the earth is only 4000 years old, so that the rock cant be that old. I think that is what random is referring to.

Ahhh...right.

I just...don't believe everything I read...can I put it like that and not be offensive?

I mean...I do to a certain extent believe in creationism, but I also know that living things change on their own, to adapt to their environment.

I also don't take the bible literally like other people do. After all, I'm not sure what one day means to God, ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by RandomSkater
    wow, 4.4 billion years old!!!1 too bad i don't believe in evolution.

it looks nice, though...
    lol concurred. Oldest thing ever, that's so retarded.

Personally I think one day means one day. If you believe God made the earth, the universe for that matter, is omni-present, knows what and how we think and had a guide book written to direct us, do you think he'd mess up on explaining the meaning of one day? For me, I doubt it. If he meant a year was a million years I'm sure he would have found some prophet to tell so the guy could write it down in a foot note somewhere, it's kinda an important detail. Oh well to each thier own.

Yes, I was referring to what DA mentioned.

So does anyone know exactly how far down they found it?

and also, I gotta say, woot for wisconsin!

My sister is a mining engineer and has drilled through and I believe has used commercial explosives to blow up and/or put holes in rocks that are a billion years old.

The bible was written by prophets, who are men...not by God. Men are falliable, God is not.

Assuming you believe in God.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Quote Originally Posted by YellowLioness
    The bible was written by prophets, who are men...not by God. Men are falliable, God is not.
    Why would anyone even bother being a "Christian" then or claiming to believe in God if they don't believe that the Bible is inspired and written by Him through His prophets? There's really no point to it then, the whole belief system is based upon the book and if you don't believe in that and it's infallibility that then you have no foundation for your Christian beliefs at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dogula
    My sister is a mining engineer and has drilled through and I believe has used commercial explosives to blow up and/or put holes in rocks that are a billion years old.
    was "35,000,000,000 BC" carved into the rocks by any chance?

rofl
    My Daughter Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by RandomSkater
    Quote Originally Posted by dogula
    was "35,000,000,000 BC" carved into the rocks by any chance?
    I didn't type out 35 billion.

A couple thousand years of science has resulted in a fair amount of knowledge about the geology of the earth. People that make these observations have come to the conclusion that the earth is about 4.5 billion years old. You suggest that based on one book, that does not back up any claims, that observation and logical deduction is in fact false, then you do not provide any counter evidence.

You gotta admit, that was a pretty funny comment.
    My Daughter Rules!

I did not laugh and I do not feel compelled to admit anything of the sort.

aaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh.
    My Daughter Rules!

I didn't type out 35 billion.
    that was just a random number in the billions, i never said you said the number.
    -----
    So how exactly can scientists know if something is millions of years old?
    From what I know, science is taking observations and facts and out of that making an assumption.
    If you don't know what something millions of years old looks like under a microscope (or however they find it out), how do they know it's really that old?
    I remember hearing something awhile ago about how someone did a carbon date test on a piece of wood that was something like less than 10 years old and it came up with 3 (possibly more) dates which were VERY far apart(in the hundreds of thousands).
    I'm not positive, but i think it was a guy that took some pieces of wood up to a mountain, soaked them in water there and then claimed he found the ark mentioned in the Bible.

you can find out how old something such as a pyramid is becuase it's recorded that it was built during the reign of so and so, thus you know it's a certain amount of years old.

I didn't mean to change the topic (though it still is sortof on topic), sorry if this is out of line.

"a billion," 'a' being singular. The copper vein in michigan dates back to around ONE billion years ago.

Radiocarbon dating in partictular tracks the amount of carbon14. Basically the half-life of carbon14 is 5,730 years, so after 5,730 years half of the original c-14 will decompose into c-12. Using the known half-life of c-14 a geologist can estimate the age of a sample. There are other dating methods that work in different ways.

Radiocarbon dating is accurate up to around 50,000 years, and it is inaccurate for recent deposits. So if you are measuring a 10 year old piece of wood the radiocarbon dating method is not accurate. It is also fairly easy for samples to become contaminated, especially trees since they are exposed to the environment. The results form the dating also have to be calibrated. And in the end it is just and estimate, there are other methods that can be used to determine the age of the object.

In the case of billion year old rocks and rock layers a method called stratigraphy is used.

There is plenty of information about dating methods on the internet. You could research it for yourself and probably get more information.

edit: here
    # Finally, although radiocarbon dating is the most common and widely used chronometric technique in archaeology today, it is not infallible. In general, single dates should not be trusted. Whenever possible multiple samples should be collected and dated from associated strata. The trend of the samples will provide a ball park estimate of the actual date of deposition. The trade-off between radiocarbon dating and other techniques, like dendrochronology, is that we exchange precision for a wider geographical and temporal range. That is the true benefit of radiocarbon dating, that it can be employed anywhere in the world, and does have a 50,000 year range. Using radiocarbon dating, archaeologists during the past 30 years have been able to obtain a much needed global perspective on the timing of major prehistoric events such as the development of agriculture in various parts of the world.

This stuff gives me a headache.

and Paul..btw...you see my point on Christianity. I don't think it's pointless for everyone, just for me.

I don't need someone to tell me how to be good. I know how to be good- sometimes I choose willfully NOT to be good, but I'll take that up with God when I meet him/her.

Besides, there are so many forms of religion- who is to say who is right or wrong?

Christians could be right, so could Buddhists, or Muslims, or Mormons, you name it- they all could be right.

I just take what I can learn from all of these places, and sort of make my own beliefs.

You may think I'm wrong, but I don't really care. I was southern baptist for a very long time, and I know all the guilt trips and the scriptures you could quote, and all of that. I just don't buy into all of what I see as propaganda to get people to invest more money in religion. I feel that my religion let me down- it's not as pure as I want it to be, and it doesn't answer my questions.

Paul, btw,
    I'm also not saying you're wrong for your beliefs- everyone has their own truths that are sacred to them.

Anyway, I realize that my beliefs are very offensive to some. I'm sorry that it offends you, but I'm not sorry, and will not apologise, for what I believe.

The bible only claims the world is around 5000 years old, so anything that can be proven older then that, proves it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke
    I think it's a chunk off of one of Merikas beer bottles.
    Probably from one of my drunken monkey ancestors! LMAO!

4.4 billion years old? :? I don't believe their science is all that reliable...it would've made an interesting necklace over at the flea market though.

I guess this entire post doesn't really classify as "Current Events" :?
    My Daughter Rules!

Thread Information