UK General Elections

I wonder if there is any member from UK in this forum and what they think of the May the 5th 2005 general elections? Most commentators are predicting a win for Labour party, who are you going to be voting for and why?

I'm not in the UK...but I was reading this morning that the Labor Party (and Tony Blair) were expected to win with a 3-9 point lead.

I think in the UK, it's much like the US, where the other parties make alot of noise...but when it comes down to voting....the majority keeping their mouth shut are basically conservative in nature. (I think our conservatives/Republican pretty much mirrors your Labor Party).

People don't want big fast changes....they are prone to stay with what is comfortable and hasn't proved a total disaster! HAHA!

I know Meanon is from the UK, but rarely posts on political threads....I think we may have a couple more from the UK as well.

Merika,
    You analysis is quite right, traditionally the Labour party is the equivalent of Democrats in UK but when Tony Blair became the leader he moved the party slightly to the right hence the Labour party is more like the republican this day.

But Tony Blair is a damaged good because of what the British people see as his extreme closeness to Bush or the the Iraq was and of course the absense of WMD in Iraq, but he will not last long after the election, he will be replaced by Gordon Brown the current finance minister.

Conservative part are the real equivalent of Republicans but they are currently not so popular because of the extreme right wing policies they pursue at the moment.

As in every election....there are the far lefts who are as retarded as the far right. They are like horses with blinders on and can never see beyond their own issues. In the middle though, there are the normal hard working people who generally carry the elections in one direction or another.

Truth is, I'm not in a high enough income that whoever is in leadership ability has any real effect over the comings and goings in my life. There may be some small changes....but it seems that no matter what...for the working class....life stays pretty much the same. We just keep working and paying bills.

Having an ally with the new government of Iraq will end up being a great world asset. Not only will they provide coalition bases for any future problems....but with the sanctions pulled....they people there will be able to finally financially benefit from the oil they have.....which the world does need. For that....Bush and Blair did good. Iraq should've been settled a decade ago....it was inevitable to happen sooner or later. That's just my opinion.

Well said Merika, particularly your point about extreme left and extreme right wing parties. With Iraq I agree it should be settled but preferable in a honest way not with fabricated evidence our leaders presented to justify the invasion.

As long as whoever wins supports the US i really dont care who wins.

Ummm, don't you think there are quite a few more countries in the world apart from US ? What about other countries of the world ?

i dont care about them, i think that we earned our power and should use it when we want.

Ummmm,
    I think I better not continue with this thread, I will be able to exchange ideas with someone with less myopic view of things.

Thanks for responding to my thread anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by darkangelism
    i dont care about them, i think that we earned our power and should use it when we want.
    i won't comment on that post. :roll:
    Life is what you make of it. Make it happen.

lol, ok, im sorry, i just support my country to the death, i believe in the way of life that we provide, there is not another country that comes close to accomplishing what we have in totality. We saved europe twice last century, so i think we are entitled to some level of support. But anyway, you dont have to argue with me if you dont want.

DA....I think unless someone lives in the US....it may be hard to understand why after all the endless bashing of our country...we are a wee bit on the defensive. I usually save all my vim and vigor for political based sites.

Other than the UK, let Europe get the EU Constitution passed, if they do, and watch them start to squabble among themselves. Then their resentment will pass to the UK....who has more gold than the rest. France and Germany are already all ruffled up and have a snowball's chance in h*ll of agreeing on anything. The UK will have to serve as the peace keeper....and then the people will see what we've been going through.

yeah that true. It seems like nearly every country besides the US and the UK to an extent have not been able to have cultures intermingle without war.

oh and canada too.

European Constitution? It is a joke. It will lead to the total breakdown of Europe as we know it, if it gets passed. And unity is a joke; there are 23 different languages spoken in the 25 member states.

At least that is the strength of the US, the unity that does exist, compared to Europe.

And twice? Therefore the involvement in WW I was too small; Russia had its revolutions in 1917, Germany had its revolution in 1918; Finland, Austro-Hungary was swept with revolution. The only thing the American involvement did, was to quicken the inevitable to happen.
    And you can think of the Russian revolution what you want, but the Russian revolutionaries published the secret treaties that were made during the course of the war, on how to divide up Europe.
    So save me the Franz-Ferdinand crap; it was an imperialist war that was fought between practically all major countries.
    Concerning the WW II, we must not forget that most of the fighting was actually done on the Eastern front.

I am no American, but I believe that there were more American casualties in the American Civil War than in both worldwars combined.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Its about even actually between both World wars and the civil war. The civil war was a much higher percentage of the population though. The thing with world war two is that if the US had not intervened then england more then likely would have fallen and those troops would have moved to the eastern front and fought Russia. But at this point we just get into what-ifs. Also the US fought Japan pretty much by ourselves. I am not an expert on those wars, our civil war i am, i know pretty much everything about that one.

UK Politics isn't my cup of tea :?
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Thread Information