Thread: Women in Combat

Women in Combat

There has been quite a bit of talk regarding some new legislation in the US which will be banning females from having combat positions within the military. Any opinions?

thats stupid. If they want combat positions then they should be able to have them.

I think it's the best thing to not have women in combat roles. A womans place in the military is not a fighting one(unless necessary).

Quote Originally Posted by RandomSkater
    I think it's the best thing to not have women in combat roles. A womens place in the military is in the rear.
    that'a a little sexist no? :?

I think that if a woman want to go to combat, then she should be able to go. The men have to go so why not just leave that choice for the woman. If she has children, she might not want to go to combat but if she has no kids, then she might want to be part of that so why not. It's a woman'a right to choose as much as it is a man's right.
    Life is what you make of it. Make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Star
    I think it's the best thing to not have women in combat roles. A womens place in the military is in the rear.
    that'a a little sexist no? :?

Thats what i was thinking when i read it. I know some women that are or were in the military and they wanted to be in combat, and they were physically able to do so.

If there's a woman or two in a combat unit there could be relationships formed that could lead to deaths or POWs that would not have happend otherwise. Say a guy in a squad had feelings for a woman, even if just as a friend, the man could risk his other squadmates for the one woman putting his entire squad in jepardy.
    There's the possibllity of rape
    There's also a scenario not much unlike in the movie "the recruit", where the man is tortured and finally gives in becuase of the woman.

You could say my opinion on this is sexist, considering how the world thinks now I wouldn't be surprised, well tough.

By that reasoning you should also ban men from the military. Gay relationships could be formed, and even friendships. Don't you think a person can have a biased view of the situation because of a friendship?

Rape does occur, especially in a brutal war with the civilian population. We can't move all the civilians, can't we?
    Rape does occur on the Phillipines, by US service personnel. In Japan. Everywhere, where there is a large concentration of forces, with civilian girls being the victims. That is why military discipline is important. The only sure way to prevent rape, is by kicking all the men out of service.

Torture is banned. I know that at least some military personnel do in fact torture (it is an issue, if and when the orders originate from those in power). I don't see how one's sex contributes to that.

Luckily they have suspended the draft in the Netherlands, otherwise I would have to serve in an army that could be overrun by the Belgians, lol. I would be driven to suicide, without doubt.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

people make stupid decisions because of friends like V said, so it doesnt really change anything...also women are more resistant to torture then men, due to the fact that they have a higher tolerance to pain and stress( a natural thing to protect them during childbirth) The other thing is that a decent number of the women are lesbians. Further reducing the relationship argument. Look at the iraq war, have there been complaints that relationships are getting troops killed?

A womens place in the military is in the rear.
    I find this line strangely erotic

Personally, I don't see a problem with women in combat positions so long as they can pull their weight. I don't know how it is in the US, but Canadian infantry was supposed to be able to carry a fully loaded FNC1, webbing and a 50lb RuckSack. Of course that was 18 years ago.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke
    A womens place in the military is in the rear.
    I find this line strangely erotic
    of course you do. :roll:

I can't help it, I love women :?
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

what's there not to love? We're awesome! :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Star
    what's there not to love? We're awesome! :wink:

This is why i never could understand gay guys...lesbians make sense though,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by darkangelism
    This is why i never could understand gay guys...lesbians make sense though,lol.
    That's only because you want to watch....HAHA!

Maybe they don't want females in combat battalions because they are afraid they will PMS and kill the wrong side.

It seems to work out fine in Israel....but women in combat are usually more liability than asset. Women ARE different emotionally and can respond differently than a man would if in the same position. Honestly, I can't imagine WHY a woman would want to go to combat in the first place.

I can't imagine a reason why a man would be interested in being in a combat position. To prove their manliness? That is a somewhat outdated concept, at least for some parts of the population.

I would not be suited for that, and yes it would possible result in a "PMS"-attack against my superior officers, as military discipline is foreign to me.

What is true for some men and some women does not apply to all men and women. If a woman qualifies for the position there is no reason why she should not be given the position.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

There is no particular qualification for combat duty.

I've met a few women within the military who were much smarter than their male counterparts. I don't know how they would react in a foxhole in the middle of battle though. I assume they would do quite well.

I don't think it's all 'performance' based though as to why there is a problem with it. PMS and bathroom privacy in a battlefield...IS a problem for obvious reasons. Also, women can be pregnant and not know yet.

I wonder how Israel handled that...since they are the only county I know of in which both male and females have equivalent combat status. Maybe they don't require females to fight on any first line defense....I'm not sure.

Thread Information