Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is the US racist? MOVED TO POLITICS

Given the abnormally large amount of photos published in the last week of poor black people stranded in football stadiums, looting shops and floating down New Orlean's new street-rivers, is America still that racist?

I mean still becuse I'd thought that racism in the US was a) a 19th century civil war slavery type problem or b) a 1960s civil rights, everybody should be allowed to sit on the same bus seats and drink from the same fountain type issue, both of which had been solved long ago and the US was today absolutely not a bastion for class based institutional racism but the home of democracy and the free, equal man (and woman): Have we seen a glimpse of the real America this week that wasn't predicted by the weathermen or desired by the politicians? Is America still so divded on the issues of race and money or are the images from New Orleans proof only of flooding and just happened to affect so many black people for some other reason?

Three reasons why it is mostly black people on the news. One, liberal media views them as better victims. Two, the city has a lot of black people, especially near the lake. thirdly its mostly poor people that stayed and the average black person is poorer.

New Orleans is a prodomitaly black community, as far as residents.

NO demo

Race
    One race 478473 98.72%
    White 135956 28.05%
    Black or African American 325947 67.25%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 991 0.2%
    Asian 10972 2.26%
    Asian indian

That's interesting information. So you would say that America isn't racist and it's all being hyped up by the media?

i would say that as a whole it isnt but there are individuals that are. But it is a lot better then it used to be.

so how would you explain this little off-script appearnace by kayne west on Fox news, then?

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Kay...ack-People.mov

It's just one man's opinion spoken at the wrong time at the wrong place. Being black hasn't hurt HIS career....so what is he basing his retarded viewpoint on?

Truthfully, any other group of people (black, white, latino or asian) would've looted for tents and barbeque supplies....not TV and stereos. Or here's an idea....loot for a raft and get the h*ll out of there.

They had 48 hours and were told to gather up THREE DAYS of supplies and go to the Astro Dome. Did they do that? No. There are hundreds of other shelters where the people did what they were told to do and all was well.

If the people at the Astro Dome didn't have anything to eat or drink...where did all the bottles and paper come from? They left the place a mess with debris. It had to come from somewhere.
    -----------------------------------------
    Matthew....I'm moving this to Politics. I hope you don't mind.

you mean superdome.

As for Kanye, he doesnt know what he is talking about "George Bush hates black people" Isnt a truthful statement. He was never poor, his mother is a professor, and his views on life are not in line with the poverty that is in new orleans

I don't know about New Orleans but I do know that Mississippi is still pretty much unchanged, or at least from what I saw of it.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

dont' mind at all Merika

How does Kanye West's mum having been a professor of something negate his statement about george W hating balck people? The two things are completely unrelated.

As far as looting goes, I think they were just small groups of people. I've never been to a supermarket in the US but I have never seen a raft on any of the shelves in any of the shops near where I live (and it's a big city too), just in case there's a flood and I need to break in and take one. Maybe New Orlean's was different and local shop owners had spècial offers on rafts and floating things in the weeks before the hurricane but didn't sell enough so there were some left to be taken after the winds died down a bit.

LOL there are rafts at my supermarket.. and all sorts of other floting devices for the torists

but little yellow dinghy things for floating around on the shoreline with your kids, not the sort of zodiac type armoured beasts needed to sail your way out of a hurricane and through the worst natural disaster the US has ever experienced ?

Please tell me you can't buy zodiacs in WalMart

LMAO no pretty close though Walmarts sister store SAMS wharehouse you can and they are EVERYWHERE

so they must be VERY happy about what's happening right now, their chairman willl be ripping open the cases of champagne and their stocks must have shot up!

I get so annoyed when I read news reports saying that this is going to be an economic disaster and huge sums of money are going to be LOST...that's ridiculous, money is like energy, it doesn't get lost or dissappear, it just moves into someone else's bank account and they win bigtime.

You are exactally right, evreything is insured. the insurance companies will lose big time.

this is why the looting thing is just a roll of my back insurance will and has to by law cover there policies so sooner or later everything will be recovered

In the long term financial well being will be recovered. However, for the next year, we have an area as big as the UK full of people without homes and jobs.

The financial crunch will come from the oil refineries and barges which carry that oil around to our ports....aren't in operation. When fuel is expensive and not in great supply...it will greatly effect every area of our economy and the world's economy.

* A lack of goods produce a lack of sales and people get layed off. Also, the good which ARE available will now be more expensive.
    * Airlines not running or too expensive to ride on produces mass lay offs.
    * Insurance companies having all these massive payouts will result in higher insurance premiums for everyone who has homeowners insurance.
    * Farm lands not having enough gas can produce food shortages.
    * Paying all these people who aren't able to work right now and have to get on unemployment is a major financial strain.
    * The emotional despair alone calls for a great amount of funding for therapy resources which someone will have to pay for.
    * Who is paying for the food, shelter and military resources being needed right now? Our taxes. 10.5 billion dollars is ALOT of money.
    * The area effected here is one of our major seaports which brings goods and fuel up the Mississippi River. They are not running. It's a BIG deal.
    (Those are just a few.)

The rich will always find a way to make more. They are a small percentage though. In the middle are alot of hard working people who's lives have been more than disrupted. For them, and the lower income or no income at all, they will pay and pay for years to come.

maybe i didn't express myself right I'm not saying some won't lose out but the money itslef doesn't get lost anywhere, it just goes round in a few circles and now some very rich people know perfectly well where it is and where it's going. The red cross and pat robertsons's operation blessing will take it from normal people and companies looking for some nice PR, the government will borrow some more from international bankers and foreign investors, but the majority of it will go straight from govt bank account no 1 to halliburton account no 2 (i read the other day, which must have been about day 3 or 4 of the disaster, well before anybody had really been rescued, that halliburton had already been contracted by the navy to fix some walls or something.

And I'm talking about the big chunks of money for 'important' structural things like rebuilding whole cities, not the relative pittance that will be allocated to food and water for poor and now homeless people, although that will get the most press attention.

That's what annoys me about money getting 'lost' because the grand majority of us never get a look in at even to how the whole system works, never mind how we could get some of it.

The construction industry will make a fortune. If it wasn't for Charly hitting our area last year we would be starving :? We have a construction business witch gave us work for several years so we're getting rich from the storm. where there is work to be done there is money to be made.

yes people will make money off of the disaster. But there is nothing wrong with that. The alternative is government does it, then it comes out of taxes.

so the $10.5bn loan that's coming from congress is coming from private enterprise and charity donations or is the tax payer going to end up paying that one back too? Or maybe it will just be heaped on top of the US national debt, which has continued to rise for the past century or so (showing a remarkably sharp rise after the 1970s oil crises).

the 10b is from taxes...private money will be spent though. Our national debt is 35b lower this year then last.

Yes, if such a disaster were to occur...at least it hit us when we are the most financially stable than we've been in decades.

MM....the 10.5 Billion will be mainly alotted towards rebuilding infrastructure, schools, federal/state offices, banks, law enforcement, etc. It will also defray the huge cost of the military involvement in this thing. The fuel being used is just astronomical. All the soldiers/ Coast Guard/ etc involved also have to be fed and housed.

Private and corporate donations will be used in a variety of ways...depending on how they are defining their participation.

Again, this is a massive area and New Orleans is just a small portion of it. If the levee didn't break...they really got a minimum amount of damage as opposed to the other areas hit. Entire towns were just decimated. It's also a very swampy rural region....and getting access to all those little towns is very difficult due to the high flooding of the Missisissippi River.

The devastation is much worse than you'll ever see on television. It's just a HUGE area with millions of people.

BTW DA...good to see you back in the political discussions. I missed you while you were gone. How is your new political site coming along?

I havnt worked on it much, but i have to, its becoming my school's republican club's main site.

Thread Information