Should New Orleans be rebuilt in same location?

It's a hard call. I too live in a very swampy coastal area about 150 feet from the beach. We end up in weird places that we consider 'home'. Most of the time all is well...sometime it bites us in the a$$ regardless of where we may be. I am currently right smack dab in the middle of Ophelia's path.....so I do understand.

I was talking to an engineer with the Coast Guard. The best idea so far would be to keep the Bourbon Street and historical areas where they are. Perhaps even keep those neighborhoods on higher elevation where they are. However, the infrastructure (government/law enforcement/hospitals and the majority of the population rebuilt a little NW of current location. The hurricane itself wasn't really the main problem here...it was the levee situation. Spending billions just to get that up to par for a Cat 5 hurricane seems a wasted expense when so much other needs are more pertinent.

There is also a problem as to what to do with all the debris. Flooding it may be the only answer. It's an ecological nightmare....but it beats the hell out of hauling it out for years to some other location.

Rebuilding a whole city back on an area which is below sea level doesn't make sense.

Anyone else have an opinion?

it will be, but shouldnt be, i mean its below sea level on the ocean, what kind of an idiot built a city there in the first place,lol.

I guess when the French first got there...somehow it made sense to build a city in a HOLE! To make it worse...it's actually still sinking down.

definitely shoudln't rebuild it but that won't be acceptable to politicians and anybody with a bet-up-ad-go bring 'em on type attitude like Bush. So I agree with DA, they will do. At least parts of it. They should just find the nearest bit of high dry ground and build it there. We could start a name competition New-New Orelans or something

Quote Originally Posted by matthewmurcia
    We could start a name competition New-New Orelans or something
    New Orlantis.

Seriously, I was watching a special on TV about the severe loss of historic homes and buildings which were lost which are considered national monuments.

I suspect the levy should've been fixed decades ago.....but if a president, ANY president, had tried to go there with the millions and millions of dollars needed.....everyone would've had a cow. It's a great loss....but life goes on.

The people which the world is focusing on who lost their homes.....lived in homes which weren't even worthy of inhabitation. For those people.... they are definately better off in government housing elsewhere.

I say "not"

Quote Originally Posted by Luba
    I say "not"
    I could repeat the joke that only the French would've built an entire seaport in an area BELOW sea level.......but I won't. It's actually a major seaport due to the fact that the many goods are then barged up the Mississippi River to the north.

I'm not particularly fond of New Orleans....but many people are. There would be alot of heritage and culture lost if it weren't rebuilt to some extent. The truth is though.....unless the levy is rebuilt at a tax dollar rate no one wants to pay.....it's a waste of time. It's like leaving a bucket with 3 inches of sand out in the rain and wondering why it's not panning out.

Actually, most people don't know this but New Orleans wasn't built below sea level. Because of petroleum extraction in the gulf of Mexico, New Orleans has subsided very slowly over the past 50 or so years to the point it's at now.

Personally, i don't think they should allow those people to rebulid in that area, because that area isn't going to stop subsiding for quite some time and over the next 100 or so years we expect it to subside another 30 feet or so. However, a lot of people have invested their lives in that area and i feel they deserve some type of recompense for their losses. After all that area did not start subsiding until the Petroleum co's started extracting oil.

It's common sence to understand when you extract oil from the subsurface the pressure holding up the sediment up drops. So the people should have known better than to build there but they were there before the exploration begun so they had a right to know what oil exploration was going to do to that area.

I think they should rename it to Waterworld, that would make Kevin Costner happy at least.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetbilly
    Actually, most people don't know this but New Orleans wasn't built below sea level. Because of petroleum extraction in the gulf of Mexico, New Orleans has subsided very slowly over the past 50 or so years to the point it's at now.

Personally, i don't think they should allow those people to rebulid in that area, because that area isn't going to stop subsiding for quite some time and over the next 100 or so years we expect it to subside another 30 feet or so. However, a lot of people have invested their lives in that area and i feel they deserve some type of recompense for their losses. After all that area did not start subsiding until the Petroleum co's started extracting oil.

It's common sence to understand when you extract oil from the subsurface the pressure holding up the sediment up drops. So the people should have known better than to build there but they were there before the exploration begun so they had a right to know what oil exploration was going to do to that area.
    Thanks for the info Billy. It always helps to have a geologist as a friend!!

I would think that the areas which need to be rebuilt are closer to the seaboard and was considered more of a slum area anyway. Most of those people have went on to find better housing and jobs elsewhere and say they don't wish to return to New Orleans. There was so much poverty and crime in that area....that much like the slums in any big city...people would move in a heartbeat if they had the funds. For a whole lot of people...it was a blessing.

I imagine there will be some selective high end rebuilding. I hear there is quite the real estate boom going on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke
    I think they should rename it to Waterworld, that would make Kevin Costner happy at least.
    I really liked that movie. I wonder why it bombed so badly??? :?

I was thinking something along the same lines...

They should breach those dam things that originally broke and then totally abandone the city.
    Roving gangs can go there and fight over land, loot and plunder until ternity.

the only law will be that they can't shoot camera crews so they can send in some to tape the carnage and mayhem and then turn it into a tv reallity show.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomSkater
    They should breach those dam things
    I thought you were cussing until I read it again! HAHA!

It's actually one of our largest ports....as well as the mouth of the Mississippi which barges tons of goods to the North. It's needed...but not with all the residents in the lower lying areas.

Yup.
    Over here we have the same thing with our rivers, in parts of the country. People come up with the bright idea to live but a few meters from the river, and get all upset and pissed if the water levels get higher (excess rainfall in the areas where the river originates), resulting in the flooding of their homes. Geniuses ...
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Any of us who live near coastal areas know we are taking a risk. I (and Stone) go through it during every hurricane season. The bottom line is though...it's not the governments fault or anyone else's fault. If you chose to live in such an area....you do so at your own risk.

I think we are about 17' above sea level. I'll see if this map shows up on here....I live where the star is. To the right is the Atlantic Ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Merika
    I really liked that movie. I wonder why it bombed so badly??? :?
    ...because it sucked!

Don't worry though, apparently it made really good bux overseas.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

[quote="Duke...because it sucked!

Don't worry though, apparently it made really good bux overseas.[/quote]

I thought it was interesting. Looking back...I guess it WAS pretty stupid...but at the time I liked it.

I think they should move New Orleans to Wayside, Mississippi, there's nothing there so they will have plenty of space to built. If anybody asks where New Orleans went they can just say, "Oh, it went by the wayside".

Quote Originally Posted by Adonaicole
    I think they should move New Orleans to Wayside, Mississippi, there's nothing there so they will have plenty of space to built. If anybody asks where New Orleans went they can just say, "Oh, it went by the wayside".
    I'm sending that out in email. :P

UR so sweet Merika, no wonder i like u so much!!. By the way, i loved he French joke!!! MUHHHAHAA

I havn't heard about the real estate boom? lets hope it helps rebuild at least some of New Orleans!?

I was watching the new the other day and they said that salary's in that area have increased about 50%; due to no one returning and peeps not wanting to lose their businesses. I think it's a good thing. What i would like to know though is how, now after New Orleans was practally destroyed, did they get the money to suddenly pay employees 50% more than before? Shouldn't they have done that before the hurricane? I have a feeling that they could have increased taxes and done a heck of a lot more to fix those levees. They have anticipated the levee's giving way in a major hurricane since the early 80's, so they knew there was a potental thoses levees could go down for years before they did! They could have repaired them years ago, and saved everyone money, time and a lot of pain.

Maybe they are paying higher since there are less people living there now to do all the jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetbilly
    You are kidding right? NO isn't sinking because of petroleum extraction. It was built in a hole that they knew was sinking NATURALLY and they did nothing about it because the attitude of the people of NO has always been "it can't happen to me" or "it won't be that bad". The government of LA wanted the money spent in other ways. Coastlines are Always changing due to natural causes - its the way of the planet.

Galveston did something about their coastline after the flood in 1900. They raised the island and built a sea-wall. NO should have updated the levy system decades ago but where would the money come from? When the Federal Government sanctioned money for the project, NO spent it elsewhere because they didn't want to or would not find the matching resources it would have taken. Louisiana is an "entitlement" state. Sadly for the people - they got what they voted for.

Quote Originally Posted by Just__A__Thought
    Louisiana is an "entitlement" state. Sadly for the people - they got what they voted for.

No joke!

Sweetbilly isn't the only geologist who says the excessive oil drilling in the area certainly didn't help the already sinking land problem. I think in the end....it cleaned out all the thousands of ghetto dwellings along the coastline. As luck would have it, they now have free NEW government housing elsewhere and the only the people who actually OWNED houses were left waiting.

GREAT to see you Just_A_Thought! You should come around more often because you are always missed!

Thread Information