Health Insurance

I thought since we have a a few countries represented on this forum...it would be interesting to find out how everyone's health insurance works, what it costs, if it's good, it it's bad......etc.

People in American whine a lot about health insurance.....some are valid....some aren't.

I have a friend who's retired from the Army who wrote this to me in an email today: (The MT stands for the state of Montana - The VA is the Veteran's Administration)

Sadly, I am roughly guessing that over half of this country has NO clue and never will have. I have been riding hell out of my Representative and Senators. (MT has 3 electoral votes which are always Republican and we never see a Pres Candidate) about the sad state of affairs for veterans. I work with them and know that a lot of them are just plain damn bums but still, 1.7 million without health insurance who cannot get VA Medical help pisses me off. I talked to a National Guard guy who is now a vet due to service in Iraq (Federal Orders for one day does it now) who was told he would be on a waiting list and could wait for up to 5 years for an appointment. I don't hear the pundits or anyone else asking the right questions.

The particular situation he's referring to really TICKS ME OFF!

My father and my b/f are both Veterans My dad just now gets health benifits after waiting 2 years and my b/f has been on the waiting list for several months and still no word.

I sell health insurance as well, ( honestly) and I always see people complaining about health costs, the problem is the american people DON"T UNDERSTAND THE SYSTEM!! they don't have a clue about how it works and how it can work for families and the Health Insurance Companies takes advantage of the americans who are uneducated about the system, and spike rates and sell plans that the usual client will never need... All states however are diffrent. I honestly think there should be an insurance class in high school, or college. This is something every adult will need wether it's car, life, health, business, or home insurance.

At the same time I think here in America if we were to Socialize health care it would be a nightmear. but that's just my opinion.

Health Insurance IS very confusing. Even when you work somewhere you have to pick between all the offered plans and no one knows which way to go. You are right...they SHOULD teach it in school!

Here's an idea. Why don't you put together a little program of example and explanation and offer to give a day course for the high schools or even jr. colleges? They will learn....and you'll meet future clients.

That may be a possibility in the future, actually my insurance instructor is now my partner.

I like Canada's Health system. It's not too expensive really and it helps to be able to make an appointment, go to the doctor or clinic that same day (or even walk in), hand them your Care Card and be covered.

Our system has it's faults, but it's better than no system at all.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

It sounds like the Canadian system is much like the UK system. The problem with it being implimented in the USA is due to the fact people WOULD REFUSE to pay 17% sales tax and payroll tax schedule like those in the UK are charged. I have no idea what Canada charges in taxes.

Ultimately, people only get what they are willing to pay for.

Well, you get what you pay for. ;-)
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

You get what you pay for .... Not in the US the people who don't pay and are on Medicade and free health care get better service than the midle class faimlies that are busting their buts to make their monthly preimum...

Note: I am not being predijust to those who recieve public assistance in the us, I think it is a wonderful system and there has been times where I have needed it and used it I just feel Medicade is highly ABUSED!!

Or the retired people who use Medicare to suppliment their personal insurance....while owning 2 houses, a motorhome and having plenty of money!!!

AARRGG.....and then they WHINE about the paperwork involved! HAHA!

Yep you called that one! and the same people will cry that they can't afford their priscriptions but they can own motor homes and
    a home up north and a nice little "snow bird" home here in FLORIDA!

If i spent all my money on all those things i wouldnt have enough money for prescriptions either
    ...lol

I was referring to Canada's health insurance with my comment. I know precious little about American healthcare except you can pay a lot and get very little in return. Someone very close to me is having some medical issues and I question the means that treatment is occurring. In fact, I have absolutely no confidence in any answers that she is being told.
    My Daughter Rules!

Duke, I know nothing about the Canada health system. Can you or other's explain it a little bit?

I feel if we had "socialized" medicine here in the States the quality of care will horribly decrease

My Daughter Rules!

I don't know Stoneheather. I've always felt the same way as you do but
    people in Canada, UK and Europe all have the same sort of isurance which is government based and seem to be quite happy with it.

Re: Health Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Merika
    I thought since we have a a few countries represented on this forum...it would be interesting to find out how everyone's health insurance works, what it costs, if it's good, it it's bad......etc.
    We don't really have an insurance, our taxes and a small bit of are pay checks goes towards the National Health Trust. Its fairer that way as anyone can get treatment, you don't need any cards or permits, you just walk in or call an ambulance and a doctor will sort you out. You don't even need to be a UK national, anyone can use it when your here. Its not 100% great but it works ok.

That's what I was saying in another thread.

With what you guys pay in a higher taxes and less for insurance charge......equals out between what we pay in lower taxes and more for insurance charge.

They come out in dollars / pounds about the same. There's really no way to win! LOL!

I'm happy that I can make a doctors appointment and see the doctor on the same day that I make the appointment. That's all that really matters to me.
    My Daughter Rules!

We can do that too if we pay for private insurance. ALSO...there are hospitals and clinics financed by the government who allows walk in or emergency treatment regardless of your financial ability to pay.

I still think in the end...it's all the same in the free world to obtain medical attention.

Thread Information