Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Bible Studies

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Under your bed.
    Posts
    27,811

    Bible Studies

    I know it's likely I'll never read the bible but I wonder if discussing it in this forum, specifically linking each discussion to each testament, will help those like me who could likely use some spiritual enlightenment.

    Thoughts?
    My Daughter Rules!

    Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

    Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

    Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow!
    Posts
    26,558
    I think that's absolutely wonderful!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The center of the Universe; Toronto
    Posts
    3,126
    It's your funeral...I mean site.

    Go for it, I probably won't read it, but others definately will.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Under your bed.
    Posts
    27,811
    Neither will I Weiser but it's still a good thing to have here since we do have a religious forum.

    It will also be interesting to see how different people interpret different parts of the bible.
    My Daughter Rules!

    Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

    Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

    Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    13,201
    I think it would be great if someone picked out a verse or two for interpretation and discussion.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Under your bed.
    Posts
    27,811
    Why pick out versus when we can discuss chapters?
    My Daughter Rules!

    Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

    Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

    Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    688
    I have been thinking about doing some small studies and putting them here, but haven't done anything yet...

    Duke, sometimes it's better to read and talk about 1 - 5 verses and interpret them and talk about just that at a time. You get alot more out of it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Under your bed.
    Posts
    27,811
    Whatever you say master, sounds good to me. I just think its a good idea to make sure they all have their own seperate topics because I will likely hack into the module and link to these forum discussions.

    Everyone interprets something differently so I think it would be great if I could link to these different interpretations.
    My Daughter Rules!

    Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

    Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

    Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,749

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    13,201
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomSkater
    I have been thinking about doing some small studies and putting them here, but haven't done anything yet...

    Duke, sometimes it's better to read and talk about 1 - 5 verses and interpret them and talk about just that at a time. You get alot more out of it.
    I totally agree.

    I can't wait for you to put something together on here Random.... that's really nice of you.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Under your bed.
    Posts
    27,811

    Re: Bible Studies

    Just out of curiosity, what is everyones opinion on this now that it's sat for a while?

    Is anyone actually interested in getting involved in this?
    My Daughter Rules!

    Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

    Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

    Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    688

    Re: Bible Studies

    I've got far too much going on right now...

    I barely can get in daily Bible reading, as it is...

    sorry

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Under your bed.
    Posts
    27,811

    Re: Bible Studies

    NP Random, I figured you were busy which is why I posed the question.

    I simply can't do it due to massive time constraints and virtually little to no knowledge of the Bible.
    My Daughter Rules!

    Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

    Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

    Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow!
    Posts
    26,558

    Re: Bible Studies


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Under your bed.
    Posts
    27,811

    Re: Bible Studies

    Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    Thanks for the link.

    I know that there are resources available to study and learn the Bible but that really isn't the point of this process. If I'm to get involved at all, it would only be via these forums really as it's all I have time for.

    I was just wondering if there were others who often think about learning a bit of the Bible's teachings but never get around to it due to personal reasons. The whole idea was to discuss the Bible here and learn from it together while adding a whole new dynamic to Lifesupporters.com.

    Does this make sense to anyone other than me?
    My Daughter Rules!

    Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

    Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

    Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    At Home
    Posts
    12,071

    Re: Bible Studies

    It is a good thought but I for one am not interested. Sorry.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Under your bed.
    Posts
    27,811

    Re: Bible Studies

    No biggie

    As I stated before, this isn't for everyone. I'm merely interested in adding another dynamic to our website and maybe learn something in the process.
    My Daughter Rules!

    Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

    Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

    Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow!
    Posts
    26,558

    Re: Bible Studies

    I have favourite places in my Bible and I try to have devotional time every day; of course, it's not ALWAYS possible.

    The only thing I can suggest is starting to read the Bible, Duke, and start the conversation from there...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Under your bed.
    Posts
    27,811

    Re: Bible Studies

    I don't have nearly the time for that so I think I'll just nix the idea for now.
    My Daughter Rules!

    Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

    Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

    Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27

    Re: Bible Studies

    Gee, all the suggestions to discuss verses and then nobody mentions any.... How about

    Romans 1 :18-32 And any ideas on how it fit's describing what's going on today.
    God’s Wrath Against Sinful Humanity

    18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
    21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.
    24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.
    26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.
    28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.
    “When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. ” Arthur Conan Doyle

    " If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. I will choose Free Will " RUSH

    2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a Spirit of fear, but of power, love, and self discipline.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,209

    Re: Bible Studies

    Hate Speech!

    I know, I know... It was still funny to me. This is one of the reasons I steer clear of religious discussions. It seems people make enemies much faster while studying the Bible in groups than any other topic, including Politics.

    Carry on!


  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27

    Re: Bible Studies

    Quote Originally Posted by IvyRose View Post
    Hate Speech!

    I know, I know... It was still funny to me. This is one of the reasons I steer clear of religious discussions. It seems people make enemies much faster while studying the Bible in groups than any other topic, including Politics.

    Carry on!

    Since when is Quoting the Bible a hate speech ? And I asked a valid question, and asked if it described today.

    So either back up your accusation WITH Biblical reference or leave, report my post, or don't participate. I was told that people were friendly here, but you had a choice NOT to comment at all.

    If you find it funny referring to me as a hater, then ignore me. Because I will NOT apologize for believing the Bible and every word it say's, and will stand by it to the death. Isn't equality great !! That I have the right to believe what I want, but if you don't like it. I suggest you get over it.
    Last edited by Alienated; 10-19-2013 at 01:42 PM.
    “When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. ” Arthur Conan Doyle

    " If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. I will choose Free Will " RUSH

    2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a Spirit of fear, but of power, love, and self discipline.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: Bible Studies

    I would like to take this time to remind everyone that we here at Lifesupporter's are a family friendly forum, where we are to be kind and respectful to one another.......ty

    With that being said, this thread in particular is regarding feedback on whether or not the member's would like to participate in bible studies in our religious section of the forum. Therefore feedback is welcomed on the subject in a respectful way in this particular thread. If you would like to start a thread for bible study on a certain verse, that is also welcomed in the religious section of our forum.

    I kindly thank everyone for your understanding.
    " To thy own self be true..."

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Under your bed.
    Posts
    27,811

    Re: Bible Studies

    Quote Originally Posted by Alienated View Post
    Gee, all the suggestions to discuss verses and then nobody mentions any....
    The original topic is over 7 years old and since it never took off the chances were it was unlikely to ever be discussed until someone who is familiar with the Bible joined.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alienated
    Romans 1 :18-32 And any ideas on how it fit's describing what's going on today.

    God’s Wrath Against Sinful Humanity

    • 18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness
    • 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them
    • 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
    • 21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.
    • 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools
    • 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.
    • 24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.
    • 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.
    • 26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones.
    • 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.
    • 28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.
    • 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips
    • 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents
    • 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy
    • 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.
    My problem with all of the above is it seems to point toward some tangible proof of God's existence which simply doesn't exist if your an atheist or even agnostic.

    The other thing I take issue with is that were are we not supposedly created in God's image? If so, then our desires are His desires no?

    Lastly, men of God have performed all kinds of atrocities throughout human history such as infidelity, abuse, pedophilia and used Religion as an excuse for war; how does this tap into our collective faith?

    Isn't Religion commonly at the base of terrorism?

    Quote Originally Posted by IvyRose View Post
    Hate Speech!

    I know, I know... It was still funny to me. This is one of the reasons I steer clear of religious discussions. It seems people make enemies much faster while studying the Bible in groups than any other topic, including Politics.

    Carry on!
    You may have found this funny Ivy but I can see how it could be misinterpreted as argumentative or even hateful.

    This is why it was responded to as below however it still does not merit a Private Message from Alienated either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alienated View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyRose View Post
    Hate Speech!

    I know, I know... It was still funny to me. This is one of the reasons I steer clear of religious discussions. It seems people make enemies much faster while studying the Bible in groups than any other topic, including Politics.

    Carry on!
    Since when is Quoting the Bible a hate speech ? And I asked a valid question, and asked if it described today.

    So either back up your accusation WITH Biblical reference or leave, report my post, or don't participate. I was told that people were friendly here, but you had a choice NOT to comment at all.

    If you find it funny referring to me as a hater, then ignore me. Because I will NOT apologize for believing the Bible and every word it say's, and will stand by it to the death. Isn't equality great !! That I have the right to believe what I want, but if you don't like it. I suggest you get over it.
    There was a lot of "Reported this" and "Reported that" for this one small collection of posts and it was primarily unwarranted.

    @ Ivy, your original post wasn't necessary (at least not in that context) and even though it probably wasn't what you intended you had to consider that it could come across as offensive.

    You even comment on how you ignore these types of discussions yet still took the time to hit the "Submit Button"; probably not a good idea when it's as sensitive a topic as Religion (and we all know it's sensitive).

    @ Alienated, I understand your response however it did not warrant a Private Message to Ivy nor did it warrant an attack against this Community or it's Membership. You show me one site online that cares about you from an Individual standpoint and I'll kiss your moccasins.

    People around here have donated years of their lives to helping people through issues you probably can't even fathom and they've done it without any kind of monetary reward. The only thanks we get is from the odd person who bothers to come back after getting feedback (which is a very rare trait indeed).

    You want to discuss wickedness, what kind of person can register at a site like this, ask for help and then never return after help was graciously and selflessly given?

    Nobodies getting rich here, we keep this going because we care about people and that is all.

    ...I ask you please be cognizant of the bigger picture here than one potentially defamatory remark which is common in this type of discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by BridgieBridge View Post
    I would like to take this time to remind everyone that we here at Lifesupporter's are a family friendly forum, where we are to be kind and respectful to one another.......ty

    With that being said, this thread in particular is regarding feedback on whether or not the member's would like to participate in bible studies in our religious section of the forum. Therefore feedback is welcomed on the subject in a respectful way in this particular thread. If you would like to start a thread for bible study on a certain verse, that is also welcomed in the religious section of our forum.

    I kindly thank everyone for your understanding.
    Well said Bridgey!
    My Daughter Rules!

    Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

    Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

    Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,209

    Re: Bible Studies

    My apologies go out to the community for offending anyone unintentionally. I did not attack any one poster, even if it may have seemed to be so.

    It's common knowledge that in this day of a Political Correct Society, many of the Bible's verses is considered Hate Speech now. I keep up with current events on Religious texts daily, which is why I made (in my mind) the humorous remark.

    However, while debating anything, there is no cause to tell some one to take their medications because they are not making any sense and screwed because they don't understand (in their mind) the Bible's interpretation. (Interpretation is key in humor, politics or religion.) It is up to the reader to interpret, misinterpret or take offense to anything written in text, not necessarily the author's.

    It is considered discrimination in certain countries what was said to attack a poster and not the topic. Race, color or creed is included in discriminatory comments (not in current remarks), but little do people know that a certain poster's remark was just as inflammatory.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. King James Bible
    By Luba in forum Welcome to Lifesupporters
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-09-2006, 09:59 PM
  2. Beliving the bible stories
    By Stone in forum Religion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 12:25 AM
  3. Your Favoret Bible Story
    By Isis in forum Religion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 09:43 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •