Guess it Sux to live in China

Microsoft Shuts Down Chinese Blog

Microsoft's Web log service bars use of terms such as "democracy" and "human rights." On the China-based portal of search engine Google, a search for material the Dalai Lama, Taiwan and other sensitive topics returns a message saying "site cannot be found."

Last year, Web portal Yahoo! was the target of criticism when it was disclosed that the company provided information that was used to convict a Chinese reporter on charges of revealing state secrets.

Reporter Shi Tao was sentenced to 10 years in prison based on an e-mail that he had sent abroad with details of a memo read out at his newspaper about media controls

Interesting Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060106/..._blog_shutdown
    ---------------------------------

I knew they were Communist...but I guess I had no idea how far the 'control' thing went. I think the world should be outraged.

I'm not sure how things are now, but I do know that a lot of Chinese websites were not showing up on any of the search engines for quite some time for reasons that escape me.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

China is a messed up country because of the communists.

as per the article:

Online bulletin boards and Web logs have given millions of Chinese an opportunity to express opinions in a public setting in a system where all media are government-controlled.

But service providers are required to monitor Web logs and bulletin boards, erase banned content and report offenders.

Foreign companies have adopted Chinese standards, saying they must obey local laws.

See..that's what I don't understand. The free world KNOWS doing this to people is wrong...so why support the government doing it? What is China going to do about it if Yahoo doesn't comply or whatever?

Me Chinese, me no dumb. Me hang on to daddy's bum. Daddy go pfft!, me go ZOOM! That's how me get home so soon.

Haven't you guys heard of the great firewall of China. It is definitely not a free country. You don't even want to know what happens if you are a christian or heaven forbid try to circulate bibles.

Quote Originally Posted by Weiser
    Me Chinese, me no dumb. Me hang on to daddy's bum. Daddy go pfft!, me go ZOOM! That's how me get home so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Adonaicole
    Haven't you guys heard of the great firewall of China. It is definitely not a free country. You don't even want to know what happens if you are a christian or heaven forbid try to circulate bibles.
    Somehow I thought those things were more relaxed....mainly due to internet access. Guess I was wrong.

It is all about ideology. It seems to be comparable to the US in the heyday of McCarthy witch-hunts in the fifties, albeit a bit more extremist.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin
    It seems to be comparable to the US in the heyday of McCarthy witch-hunts in the fifties,
    What do you mean 'witch hunts'?? We were huntin' commies.

Because commies were ideologically opposed to the US. And the Chinese are doing the same with "backward elements" that are opposed to China, in whatever way.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin
    Because commies were ideologically opposed to the US.
    They still are....that's why we still hate them.

I'm half Russian, Luba's a firestarter on a borscht high, better watch your P's and Q's or we're gonna go hammer and sickle on your @sses.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

I was going to make a gay comment including the words baby, hammer and a$$, but it was too much even for me.

I had NO IDEA what Borscht was....so I found a pic:

It looks about as good as that wogmut tea that Adonai was talking about. What in the world in IN this soup?

cabbiage, beets, tomato, water, sour creme, meat (optional), potatoes (optional), and I think celery and possibly onion. Aside from that, I haven't the foggiest idea.

It is good stuff though if it has meat and sour creme in it and isn't simply beet stew.
    My Daughter Rules!

Because commies were ideologically opposed to the US. And the Chinese are doing the same with "backward elements" that are opposed to China, in whatever way.
    I guess you would define "backward elements" anyone who desires, freedom, the truth or heaven forbid christianity.

Quote Originally Posted by Adonaicole
    I guess you would define "backward elements" anyone who desires, freedom, the truth or heaven forbid christianity.
    No, I don't.
    But both the US and China have issues with people who oppose the regime of their own country. Most (if not all) countries do. Of course the situation in China is terrible (not to mention North Korea or Myanmar. But that does not imply that the US, France or the Netherlands are perfect.

Did you know that because of the bible smuggling going on in China by American Christains there are more than 60 million Chineese Christians there now? That's more than in all of the United States!! I don't think the Chineese believe in communism anymore, or won't for too much longer, simply because they are developing so fast and can see the personal benefits of having a free society.

I mean when you do business with outside democratic countries, who are very prosperous, and you have been cooking your eggrolls over an open fire with wood you had to chop yourself and now all of the sudden you have electricity and a microwave oven, you might be pursuaded to change your political ideolgies for a better life.

I think we've seen that begin to happen when Taiwan declared independance from China. Oh and don't forget just a few years ago there was a massive movement toward freedom in China, which the Chineese government cracked down on pretty hard. I think history has shown over and over again that once that type of oppression begins, in order to sustain that type of a dying system, the people generally revolt even harder. And with Freedom being one of the main focal points in the bible, it won't be long till China's free. That will be an amazing day,i always wanted to go to China so i'm going to buy plane tickets if they do become free before i die LOL

I've been reading for years about the massive Christian movement going on in China. Several years ago I went to hear a female evangelist who was Chinese and did lots of work over there. I wish I could remember her name. I'll have to look it up.

The thing is, they don't take it for granted like we do and are very strong in their beliefs.

It really is amazing Merika, i personally purchased over two hundred bibles to be sent over there a couple of years ago. Spent a little over two hundred dollars to do it. They can't get enough bibles there, they have to share 1 bible for something like every 10 people and they are just dying to get Gods word. It sucks that Americans/europeans have the kind of freedom to be able to research the truth themselves and make their own choices anout the matter and yet they don't care. Yet the Chineese have to die to find a better life or even be allowed to search for one, and yet they are more open minded than Americans. Sad really. I would think all people would want to know the absolute truth, just to know what is true and what is a lie but they don't, it's sad really.

Thread Information