Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

capital punishment

what do you think about the death penatlty? after hearing stories like weiser's cousin, i believe even more in it as a punishment.

always believed in it. eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, now more so than ever.

I don't know. I think killing someone is just too easy. I think they should live. God always finds a way to punish people, much better and more powerful that the society will ever think of.

Plus there are cases of mistrials, and there's nothing more horrible than killing an innocent person.

I'm at odds with this topic. IN some cases, I feel that it should be practiced but in others, I don't.

I think people like ted bundy, paul bernardo, karla homolka should be put to death. There is so much evidence backing it up that there is no question that they're the guilty ones. they took lives so in turn, theirs should be ended IMO.

these kind of people might spend the rest of their lives behind bars (except for karla - that's unbelievable on its own) but they are in protected custody. what for? why should they get the priviledge of being protected from harm after they've killed people?

I think with today's forensics and DNA, mistakes would be extremely minimal.

What happened to weiser's cousin?
    Life is what you make of it. Make it happen.

I believe if you take someone's life, you should give up your own; especially if the act is deliberate and intentional!

I know I'm hurting for Weiser and his family; you all have become like family to me! Though most of us haven't met, just by the power of a Computer we have become close.

Actually there is a case running in the Netherlands with the DNA being the cause of the whole controversy of innocence. I.E. if we had the death-penalty possibly the wrong person was sentenced to death, because of it.

Please don't assume that DNA is reducing mistakes to 0. Something similar was thought to have happened with fingerprints, but was also not the case.

And what if you execute an innocent? Is the state then a murderer, and should the state be tried, and sentenced? To death, in case of neglect (to come to the fore with information that might shed new light on the case)?

Asides from all the philosophical and moral concerns, there is a political one: members of minorities get more death-penalties for the same crime, than members of the majority.

If I recall correctly, Ted Bundy is executed in 1989.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Ted Bundy was executed so we are no longer footing the bill for his incarceration. As to executions, I believe in them. The person has the right to appeal numberous times and they don't get executed for years during which time the tax payers are paying for their keep. I hate that part. I believe they have the right to 1 maybe 2 appeals and then the death sentence should be carried out as soon as possible afterward. No more lounging with TVs, computers, going to school. They get treated too well in some cases. They are supposed to be in prison, not a day spa!!

To answer Star, Weiser's cousin was a hit and run victim and is in very critical condition. It is under the thread "So Angry".
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

she wasn't a hit and run victim, it was premeditated attempted murder which turned into murder.

let me go into a bit more detail. those people who deserver capital punishment should be killed the exact same way as their victims. in this case, give me a van and i'll run his ass over. repeatedly.

You know what capital punishment I object to? Capital punishment for innocent victims, especially children. Where is the outrage over that?

This is a true story. There was a man convicted of molesting and killing over 10 children. The court had mercy on him and gave him a life sentance. After several years in jail, he escaped and showed no mercy and killed over 10 innocent kids again. He was convicted and the court showed mercy and gave him a life sentance. After several years in jail, he escaped again and showed no mercy...killing over 10 kids again. Finally when they convicted him the third time they decided to give him the same mercy he showed his victims and he is no longer able to put innocent children to death.

I agree that in death penalty cases, the courts need to be absolutely certain of guilt or it should be a life sentance until all doubt is removed. I strongly believe that in the case of multiple murders, especially multiple murders of children, they should be denied a second chance to murder. Innocent children have a right to life too!

Just lock them away. Permanently.

Escaping once should be a novelty / rarity. But escaping a second time: the director of the prison should be tried. He is the one who is responsible, is he?
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin
    Just lock them away. Permanently.?
    This is more cruel than a simple injection.

Quote Originally Posted by Weiser
    always believed in it. eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, now more so than ever.
    I agree with this but I'd prefer death in the manner of the victim. In other words, if you raped/beaten/killed, you should be raped/beaten/killed. I don't believe lethal injection is the ticket because it's too quick and the appeal process means that you live for many years prior to the act.

I believe as a criminal your rights should automatically be waived and you should be dealt with.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Quote Originally Posted by Weiser
    she wasn't a hit and run victim, it was premeditated attempted murder which turned into murder.

let me go into a bit more detail. those people who deserver capital punishment should be killed the exact same way as their victims. in this case, give me a van and i'll run his ass over. repeatedly.
    I didn't mean to offend you. I was just trying to give Star some info figuring she would go to the thread and read the story. At the time I didn't know your cousin had died. I am sorry for your loss and the way it happened. I too would gladly get in the van with you and help you run his ass over repeatedly. I know a few people here that I would love to drown repeatedly for a friend of mine whose son was injured in that fashion as his "friends" watched.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

To add to my first post in this thread, I believe that once the shadow of doubt is gone they should be taken out behind the courthouse and executed right then and there. When Florida used the electric chair we used to think the victims family should have the option of turning a knob that had a variable current so they could zap the person at different levels until they were satified and then they could crank it on up to max until the b****d was dead. I also am not opposed to doing to them what they did to their victims. What goes around comes around. A bit vindictive but I am tired of paying to keep these creeps alive so they and their slimy lawyers can find every possible loophole to get off.

I totally agree with you tkdlady!!! It's not about making these idiots feel comfortable or more miserable....it's all about me not wanting to PAY $40-60,000 a year to keep their sorry A$$ES alive. As they get older, the health care costs skyrocket. They just aren't worth it. They traded off their right to life when they decided it was OK to end someone elses.
    ---------------------------------------------------

No one gets the death penalty in the USA unless there is enough evidence to prove they are guilty without a shadow of a doubt....and they also have to prove premeditation.

Sadly that is NOT true Merika. Just as there are sometimes a few people behind the bars for the same crime, without those people even having known each other. They would have murdered the victim independently of each other. Kind of hard to do, if you can murder a person only once, is not it?

And sadly, if you are a member of a minority (non-white), chances that you receive the death penalty increase for the same crime. So I would be very wary to say beyond a doubt. After all, doubt is to be established by people, who are fallible.

And does it happen that the DA / prosecutor withholds evidence, or information that would have cleared the suspect? Over here it does, and I see no reason to assume it never happens in the US either. If that happens, you should draw the consequence: prosecute, and execute the DA as well.

there are innocents that are accidentally killed, but they would accidentally be in jail their whole life if there wasnt the death penalty, which isnt that much better.

I have to agree to V on this one. It's not jail bill you should worry about, it's not that the vital problem, IMHO. Your president is leading a disastrous war and that's where your money is going - I don't want to offend anyone, but that's my sincere opinion.

Crime cannot be stopped and nothing could ever justify murder. For we are talking about taking lives. I think that if a society accepts capital punishement, well, it's not better than the murderer himself/herself.

I understand Weiser's anger, pain and rage, but killing that man will not bring his cousin back. I don't know what the solution to this problem is, but Killing murderers (or supposed murderers) isn't one.

Quote Originally Posted by darkangelism
    there are innocents that are accidentally killed, but they would accidentally be in jail their whole life if there wasnt the death penalty, which isnt that much better.
    Yes, but what if their innocence is established a few years after their execution? You can't undo the death-sentence; but you could (if you kept them in jail) set them free.

And likewise, if the DA knowingly messes things up (biased investigation), what stops the victims of a biased DA to let the DA be prosecuted for murder in the first degree, which can be punished by death?
    Or is there some sort of legal immunity for people who do these jobs?

How about a serial killer or someone who confesses they did it and takes the police to the hidden body or bodies as proof? What are they supposed to get? There are people out there who torture little kids for days before killing them...you have sympathy for them and think they deserve to live???

I don't and won't....not ever.

Those are cases that guilt seems to be clear-cut. And if all others can be excluded (i.e. that this guy was not a side-kick of the big dude), I would say he should be sentenced to life (no option for parole), and not to death.

Death would be the easy way out then. Plus, you could use such people for psychological research, so that we as a society can learn more about people who take this path; and thus actively prevent more victims of other murderers. People who have no respect for life, rarely are repelled by the idea of their own demise.

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin
    I would say he should be sentenced to life (no option for parole), and not to death.

Death would be the easy way out then. People who have no respect for life, rarely are repelled by the idea of their own demise.
    Which is exactly why crucifixion has so much appeal. It is not an easy way out.

By the way, saw an interesting documentary about the subject. REAL Crucifixion, opposed to the usual portrayal of Christ, was not done on a cross, but on two pieces of timber more closely resembling a capital "T."
    In addition, four nails were used, not three. Two through the hands (not the forearms) where the pain would be maximized. The feet were set on each side of the post, and nails were driven through the ankles. Finally the body was probably not more than a foot or two off the ground.

Death was probably through blood loss and shock. It could be slowed by tieing the arms to the crossbeam.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle

I understand Weiser's anger, pain and rage, but killing that man will not bring his cousin back. I don't know what the solution to this problem is, but Killing murderers (or supposed murderers) isn't one.
    No, but it would make me do a jig in happiness

disatsterous war? more people are murdered in a month then have died in the entire war. The cost of the war is not that high considering that amount of money we have to spend.

DA, not to hijack the thread, but in Badgad, since last Wen. the morgue is full - 300 dead people inside. condidering the rate of killings, they'll be needing to build 2 more during the next month to keep up with it.

Quick fact about the money spent by your president - your money, btw:

- 250 billion dolars since the invasion in MArch
    - The additional spending, along with other war funding the Bush administration will seek separately in its regular budget next week, would push the price tag for combat and nation-building since Sept. 11, 2001, to nearly a half-trillion dollars, approaching the inflation-adjusted cost of the 13-year Vietnam War

- Currently, the Defense Department says it is spending about $4.5 billion a month on the conflict in Iraq, or about $100,000 per minute.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...pending03.html

If you think it's worth it, great for you. I just don't understand why you approve for this sums to be spent killing people and you won't agree to a couple of thousands to keep others alive.

Thread Information