Do you wake up in the middle of the night and...

can't get back to sleep for no apparent reason? I've been waking up at 2:00 a.m. and thinking of really dumb things...they're just floating around in my mind....not worried about anything that I'm aware of...

This has been happening all week and I'm getting pretty tired.

i get insomnia sometimes, but once im asleep im fine. Try counting sheep, it works if you take it seriously...sometimes.

First thing to figure out is, what's keeping you awake. I usually find that either my body is awake, so I can't sleep, or my mind is going 100 miles an hour (maybe round in circles) and won't let me sleep.

Something that has sometimes worked for me is to get up and have a mini-"day". Eat something meal-like (peanut butter toast is good -- peanut butter has trytophan), somewhere with the light on, while sitting up, maybe even do some exercise, anything that will make your body tired. Then try all the traditional sleep things (ie. glass of milk), then go to bed again. Doesn't always work, but if you think you're going to be awake for two hours, sometimes you can put yourself to sleep in 45 minutes this way (ie. half hour up, maybe 15-30 minutes in bed going to sleep).

If you have the flexibility, and just want to be less tired, you could also try polyphasic sleep: http://www.sleepingschedules.com/

I build houses to put myself to sleep. I do the whole yard and each room....I've been working on the same one for 3 weeks. That's how well it works for me. I'm still in the living room. HAHA! Seriously, this works great for me.

Thanks for all your advice...I was worried that I was going through a second bout of Menopause!

Waking up isn't my problem. Getting to sleep is . I have some pills who work this problem most of the times.

Re: Do you wake up in the middle of the night and...

Quote Originally Posted by Luba
    can't get back to sleep for no apparent reason? I've been waking up at 2:00 a.m. and thinking of really dumb things...they're just floating around in my mind....not worried about anything that I'm aware of...

This has been happening all week and I'm getting pretty tired.
    This happens to me every single night, it's been going on for years. Usually I can fall back asleep my drinking my mugwort tea but sometimes I just end of reading until it's time to go to work and then the next night I sleep better (out of exhaustion .

I think I found the reason I haven't been sleeping and now I'm wondering if it's going to continue...

I have this amazing friend who I'm in tune with and for some reason my 'buried' concerns just started to spill out...

I am still very concerned about my youngest son as well as I'm back to working with the one person I had a problem with before...though I am trying to let bygones be bygones there is still some residual feelings from before....

I wake up all the time. It is really frustrating. I just can't seem to quiet my brain down enough. I guess I need to change to a more physical job so I can be beat at the end of the day. Maybe that would help.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

worrying and stress make for bad sleep patterns...solution? just dont care - you wont worry or have any stress and then you can sleep....like me, except i have been up for 40 hours now....BAH

Do you wake up in the middle of the night and...

... touch yourself?

I couldn't resist.

Hope you'll start sleeping better soon Luba!

Re: Do you wake up in the middle of the night and...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    ... touch yourself?

I couldn't resist.

Hope you'll start sleeping better soon Luba!
    great advice, Paul...I laughed all through breakfast and my imagination went wild. but since I'm supposed to set an example because of my 'pure standards' I won't post what thoughts came to mind ....but, Paul, I want you to know that when I'm awake and can't get to sleep, I will think of what you said and maybe the relaxed laughter will work if not, I may try your advice

Thread Information