Thread: The Stanley Cup

The Stanley Cup

Carolina leads series with Edmonton 2 games to 1.

from NHL.com:

It all started on March 18, 1892, at a dinner of the Ottawa Amateur Athletic Association. Lord Kilcoursie, a player on the Ottawa Rebels hockey club from Government House, delivered the following message on behalf of Lord Stanley, Earl of Preston and Governor General of Canada:

"I have for some time been thinking that it would be a good thing if there were a challenge cup which should be held from year to year by the champion hocky team in the Dominion (of Canada).

There does not appear to be any such outward sign of a championship at present, and considering the general interest which matches now elicit, and the importance of having the game played fairly and under rules generally recognized, I am willing to give a cup which shall be held from year to year by the winning team.
    "

Shortly thereafter, Lord Stanly purchased a silver cup measuring 7 1/2 inches high by 11 1/2 inches across for the sum of 10 guineas (approximately $50); appointed two Ottawa men, Sheriff John Sweetland and Philp D. Ross, as trustees of that cup; and set the following preliminary conditions for the annual competition:

~The winners to return the Cup in good order when required by the trustees in order that it may be handed over to any other team which may win it.
    ~Each winning team to have the club name and year engraved on a silver ring fitted on the Cup.
    ~The Cup to remain a challenge competition and not the property of any one team, even if won more than once.
    ~The trustees to maintain absolute authority in all situations or disputes over the winner of the cup.
    ~A substitute trustee to be named in the event that one of the existing trustees drops out.

The first winner of the Stanley Cup was the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association hockey club for 1893. Ironically, Lord Stanley never saw a championship game nor attended a presentation of the trophy, having returned to his native England in the midst of the 1893 season. Nevertheless, the quest for his trophy has become one of the world's most prestigious sporting competitions.

I'll be honest...until you mentioned the Stanley Cup on here awhile back...I had no idea what it was.

I know very little about sports at all.

Re: The Stanley Cup

This thread is five years old. I can't believe I haven't been posting results here since then.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    whos getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

What can I say?!? Have you checked the number of Football threads?

Hope it will be a good match
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    What can I say?!? Have you checked the number of Football threads?

Seriously?

Hope it will be a good match
    Yes, I now feel the excitement starting. Feel good, though.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

NOW I'm getting nervous and I feel like crying; have my box of Kleenex.

Vautrin, is the entire game broadcast there?

I am using semi-legal methods to watch the game. Internet, and the feed from ESPN (?).

Not the highest quality, but it is the best I can do at the moment.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Not too bad yet, only nibbling one fingernail!

And it is still 0-0. Hope Canucks settle the game in the next few minutes, or else you are in dire need of a pedicure.

Freak. 1-0 Bruins, with about 5 minutes left in the first period.

Two more periods to go; survived this one. Whew! I have to admit my heart is thumping. I hope the Canucks don't have the wind knocked out of their sails for that goal. I was hoping they would make the first one.

They are not doing that badly. I would not count them out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    They are not doing that badly. I would not count them out yet.
    I just had a tiny bowl of ice cream as I was watching the News and getting ready for the second period. The News ran a video from you tube about "Johnny Canuck". Lots of hits already and it's pretty good!

Now I'm going to try and catch my breath before the second period...

Still a good game. Hope the Canucks can equalize in the second period.

Not looking good now .

I'm not even watching. If I hear the horns blowing outside x 2, I'll know we at least evened it up.

I really hope we win but I think Boston is just playing better (not necessarily the better team). Boston has a huge advantage in that their confident in their goal tending, we can't make that claim right now.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Yes, you can say that again. Canucks get enough shots in, but they just don't seem to make it. Oh well.

Have to go to bed now. It is 4 AM, and I am really fading .

I'm calling it a night for my viewing of the game. 3-0 now, that's good enough for me. I don't want to reach the point of getting upset. You're right, Vautrin, it's just a game. Thanks for being here for me, you're a true friend!

Well they lost 4 - 0 and I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm not surprised at all.

I just cannot believe they could not find a way past Thomas. The guy plays outside of the crease so charge him for crying out loud and put the puck in deep.

They had success on the few occasions they accidentally did that so what did they do, shoot from the blue line with no traffic in front of him. Honestly, this entire series against Boston was a nightmare to watch. It was like trying to save a house of cards from falling down, once it starts that's the end of it.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

You're right, Vautrin, it's just a game.
    Mmh....obviously we have lost because i have never heard a winner say this, only a losing team

It's not just a game when my team loses, im a good sport but.......forget being a good guy, forget "its only a game" sort of talk.

Its is WIN, WIN & MORE WIN and then keep trying until you do

i hate boston, it sucks that they won

New York roots?

Or is it more than a regional dislike, DA?

it is a regional dislike, the population in general has this smugness about themselves that I find annoying, I am not saying NY is any better, but boston sports fans rub me the wrong way.

I just don't like Don Cherry. Every time I see that loud mouthed idiot I want to wind up and punch him in the face.

I've been to Boston and I'm pretty neutral on it in general but I can say that the people of Boston certainly are not the most friendly of US citizens I've met in my travels.
    My Daughter Rules!

Thread Information