The Freedom Tower

Now, I'm not trying to create a debate here, all I want to know is your honest opinions on the Freedom Tower which will replace the Twin Towers, demolished in 9-11.

Do you think it's a good idea to re-build anything in this location?
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Re: The Freedom Tower

Just to get the ball rolling on this topic, I personally believe this idea to be crazy and somewhat disrespectful to those who died in 9-11. I know the building is in tribute but in a way, it's like building on a burial site which seems disrespectful to me.

Also, I worry that this tower will become a target for more terrorist related activity in the years to come. IMHO, all NY is doing is erecting a giant bulls-eye in Lower Manhattan.

Thoughts?
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

It's a very expensive piece of prime real estate. Not to build anything on it would be a waste of revenue. I personally don't consider it a grave yard at all. I think a memorial is sufficient.

I do wish they would let Donald Trump be over the building and design though. He really loves New York and is so talented in this area. However, I believe there is another firm already doing it. Here are there plans (the pics are real nice and detailed)
    http://www.triroc.com/wtc/plandescription.htm

Again, it's not a shrine, nor does it need to be. It's a vital piece of real estate and there is no reason, to me, why we should let that be taken from us. I think it's a better statement to rebuild.

Just my opinon. Great subject!

I agree, good topic.

I don't have any problems with them building on the site, i just hope they do something or place something there to recognise what happened, as in some type of a memorial. A decent design, not some stupid artistic design that you would have had to of had a degree in art froma major university to appreciate. What they are planning to put there now looks like something you would find at Disneyland or something.

I absolutely HATE the design for the replacement buildings, ugly, ugly, UGLY buildings, they symbolise nothing about what was lost. They look like some fifth grade child won some sort of new age art contest. When they presented the winning design it reminded me of when someone you never actually liked dies so you redecorate the house in beautiful vibrant pastel colors, new blinds and furniture the day after the funeral, it just dosen't fit.

I believe it would have been far more respectful to build the exact same buildings in the exact same spot with very little changes to them other than structurally and including a decent, respectful small change to the buildings, it would have said something amazing about our resolve and character as a nation. I think what they are doing now is shameful to say the least, they almost had those building redesigned before they were cleaned up. Feels like no one gave a crap to me, the next day it was back to business as usual. Did anyone else get that feeling after 9/11?

I don't feel that way. If I get blown up tomorrow I don't expect the whole world to stop. A day or two is long enough for a weep fest...then it's time to get on with the program. We'll go on an on about those two buildings long after we've forgotten why we should be killing the enemy instead. People have forgotten that part because it's easier to sit home and build monuments that mean nothing if they didn't learn the lesson from it.

Oh yeah,.,,the SAME lesson we should've learned when they were almost blown up the LAST time during the Clinton administration. We didn't want to do anything that wasn't NICE then either. We are now a nation of chickensh*ts and actually...we don't deserve the buildings at all.

Re:

I don't know, this whole topic is really funny to me because America is great at inundating media everywhere. Some examples are the O.J. trial, Clinton and Lewinski, the war on terror and New Orleans is sinkin man and I don't wanna swim, yet coverage on 9-11 seems to be virtually minimal, at least in Canada.
    My Daughter Rules!

That's too bad, i personally think 9/11 is going to be the day that changed the world, not just America ...i don't think we've seen all the ramifications of what happened on that day yet. That's probably the reason why the rest of the world dosen't fully understand our position on Iraq and stuff yet. We are constantly bombarded with images or thoughts about of 9/11 and terrorism.

Thats kind of a striking thought Duke, why wouldn't the world be interested in 9/11 and what America is doing now? I mean America is practally on the rampage world wide because of it, the divide in this country is growing VERY deep because of it. Even though it seems a little far fetched right now, I wouldn't be surprised to see a revolution or at least riots over this issue sometime in the future. The extreme end of both the democratic and republicans party are now rising to prominance in their respective parties because of this very issue, terrorism i mean. This appears to be the issue America would actually push the button over, especially over the whole Iran and nukes issue ...and the world dosen't seem to care, that's just amazing to me!!

I agree Merika, we will eventually have to go on with our lives and sometimes people don't learn anything from what they should, but i really think those people were the first victims in the future wars of the 21st century. I really believe wheather they like it or not everyone on earth is going to be involved in these wars in the future. Like any soldier before them they deserve their memorial too. If we forget about them and go on with our lives like nothing happened who is going to justify their deaths? I'm sure their families would want justice. I learned a lesson from what happened on 9/11. I never seen Pearl Harbor or the Alamo personally, but i'm sure the people who lived at that time were as deeply affected by what they seen as i was on 9/11. We don't build memorials for the people who don't care we build them for those who do care and those who have to remember.

I kind of like the new design. I like that they aren't putting the new buildings on the exact same spot, that those spots are a memorial. I don't like the fact that they are making them as tall. I have never really like sky scrapers anyway and that just makes them a target again. I do believe we should rebuild something there to show those who did the damage that we will survive and thrive. As for not hearing much about 9/11 in Canada, I personally was getting sick of hearing about it here. They do stories all the time. I guess they just aren't televised worldwide. I grieve for those who died and for the tragedy itself but to keep rehashing it just keeps the wounds open for those who did lose loved ones. I have no problem with a tribute once a year like we do for Pearl Harbor but I could do without all the other shows that talk about it at least once a month. There are lessons to be learned for the Engineers who will design and build in the future and they certainly should take heed. There are lessons for all of us and like the famous saying says, "Those who don't learn from History are bound to repeat it." That is my say on the matter. If I offended anyone I am sorry.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

What great posts, all of them! I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen photos of the proposed "Freedom Tower" and like Duke said, we only have News about 9/11 when it's either a security issue at the airport or when it's the Anniversary of...so I looked it up and this is what I found:

http://www.projectrebirth.org/

I think the name "Freedom Tower" is well chosen. After thinking about it awhile, I think it's good that there will be new buildings there. There is no way that anyone will ever forget, no matter where they live, that terrible tragedy of 9/11 and our hearts to go out to the people that have lost their lives and the people left behind. I disagree with high structures again to make them another target.

The attacks won't be forgotten because of the paranoia it caused worldwide, and the effects it had. However, such tragedies caused by idiotic and insane human behavior led to thousands of deaths are numerous - and all except for a few are virtually unknown in the allegedly civilized world. Or worse, we praise those tragedies for various reasons.

As you can guess, I don't agree with the Freedom Tower at all. The name is horrendous.

I rather would have seen a monument to commemorate that despite all the technological advances humankind made in the past 12,000 years or so, ignorance, stupidity hate and negligence, lead to tragedy upon tragedy, upon tragedy.

Re:

I personally believe this idea to be crazy and somewhat disrespectful to those who died in 9-11. I know the building is in tribute but in a way, it's like building on a burial site which seems disrespectful to me.
    I feel the same way and so does my hubby. I feel this site to be sacred because of all the people that died there and weren't found. I don't think they should build anything on this ground. They should just have it as a memorial place to remember all who died in the tragedy and leave the ground sacred. That to me is worth more then money. Just my two cents.
    Life is what you make of it. Make it happen.

Re:

They should build on it, and that building is ugly. I have talked to a lot of people about it in NYC and the main issue is that people dont want to build because people died, but do we stop using a highway because somebody dies in an accident? Not building just says we are afraid, what if they go and blow up half the buildings in the city, do we not rebuild half the city. Or people died in new orleans, should we not build there? bodies still arnt found there.

Yeah but DA the people in NY didn't die in a hurricane or a car accident, they were murdered in the next war of the 21st century. There were more people die in those two buildings than died at Pearl Harbor. No they weren't soldiers but they deserve respect and a decent memorial. I do feel we need to rebuild, even in the footprints of those building, but it must not be Dominos pizza type construction job, done in five minutes of less. They almost had a new design for the next building within the week they went down, made me sick to my stomach. The new buildings must be respectful of the people who died there and to the people who watched their loved ones jumping 70 stories to their deaths that still have to walk by that site everyday. I don't feel the design for the next building meets that criteria. I'm just very unhappy about how that whole situation has been handled from the very begining.

The remains have probably been compressed so much, that they only would be discernable if you would sample every bit of the rubble through highly sensitive computer systems.

What did they do with the Oklahoma site of the government building, after it was bombed?

Re:

so sweetbilly your saying that somebody that dies in an accident isnt as tragic as somebody that is murdered? As for it being a rush job, its been 5 years and they havnt even broken ground yet.

in oklahoma city, the site was memorialized, part of it is now a museum. So if you trreat it the same way, nothing should be built in NY either, however, the land area is 1/8th the size of the area the WTC took up, and they built a bigger building down the street, i mean there are farms in oklahoma city limits still, so they can afford to not use the space. At ground zero they could have a well designed memorial and still use the land for other things.

Right now ground zero is basically a hole in the ground, they need to build something there, i have been there hundreds of times, it doesnt move me at all, i go to oklahoma city memorial and i want to go hurt terrorists.

No DA that's not what i'm saying, i'm saying that that site is where 2000 people were murdered, needless unprovoked murder is alot different than an unfortunate accident or an occurance in nature. People all over this country and all over the world watched as those people jumped 70 stories to their deaths etc... This site means alot to alot of people, including people who are not family members or friends of the victims, and to rush through a rebuilding phase and not allowing the input of the families or the country in the building of a memorial is tasteless and appauling to me. They don't really have to build anything there at all, the state can purchase the land, as they have done in so many other cases, and easily make it a national memorial or park. They kept the Alamo but they want to rebuild there, something messed up there :P I think it's disgusting that they want to rebuild anything there at all, it's more or less a hallowed site now. This country never even took a five-minute break after it happened, and they learned nothing lasting from that day at all, they just went right back to business as usuall. Like i said, unlike any other moment in history, i believe that what happened on that day is going to change the world forever. We just haven't seen the final act in the play yet.

Re:

the state does own the land, well the port authority does, which is a multistate agency.

Really, i thought it was privately owned land? Who is the guy who just bought the towers before 9/11? I thought he owned the land as well...

DA is right. At one point there was talk about New York doing a land swap with the port authority, but I'm not sure what the end result was. I still think they should put up a nice memorial and move on. They weren't the only people killed on 9/11. The Pentagon rebuilt.

Thread Information