Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Series

World Series

I watched most of the game last night and my team LOST! Of course, as usual, I have a bet out there again. I hope it goes the entire 7 games just to make it more exciting and get the bet "upped" up if the games are tied during the Series.

Ardent Detroit supporter, or can't stand the Cardinals?

At least we get summaries of the World Series. Games even take longer than chess, so there is in general less interest in baseball than in chess.

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin
    Ardent Detroit supporter, or can't stand the Cardinals?

At least we get summaries of the World Series. Games even take longer than chess, so there is in general less interest in baseball than in chess.
    Actually, one of us had to pick which team we'd stand for, it's really only about the money on the bet! Makes cheering for a chosen team all that more fun!

But what if you lose?!?

Betting with your co-workers? If there will be a seventh game, you should probably get to a venue for it.

My gf actually went to football-bars during the world cup. Cheering for England (a lot of her friends + family is English), cheering for the Netherlands. She seemed to have enjoyed herself quite a bit. Although it would have gotten quite awkward, if both teams would have played each other. Luckily, we have Portugal to thank for that not happening.

Losing is okay because we don't bet Big Money...it's just for fun and a constant ribbing of each other if the other team is losing...I won on the Super Bowl so I'm still ahead...usually we sort of break even, it's really the fun and gibes that make it!!

Re:

I find watching baseball is as much fun as watching paint dry. Actually, watching paint is funner because at least you get a cheap buzz off the fumes.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Duke
    I find watching baseball is as much fun as watching paint dry. Actually, watching paint is funner because at least you get a cheap buzz off the fumes.
    Bet with ME, honey, and I'm SURE you'll get excited about the game!

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Luba
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke
    Bet with ME, honey, and I'm SURE you'll get excited about the game!
    I am waiting until an Englishman launches http://www.invite_a_hooligan_for_ano...yourhome.co.uk

Of course, with pictures of the ravage, broken beer bottles, hurt police officers, and a picture of the final score...
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Rain postpones Game Four according to Internet News I looked up this morning. More rain predicted. Right now I'm on the losing end...but I have faith good things will happen for the Tigers! (taken from the Football topic)

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/15860835.htm

Cards get upper hand as Tigers beat selves

By PAUL HAGEN
    hagenp@phillynews.com

ST. LOUIS - When the snow falls in Michigan this winter and the harsh wind blows off the Detroit River and the skies are barren and gray, this is the sequence of events that could haunt Tigers fans:

Nine outs away from evening the 102nd World Series and assuring a return trip to Comerica Park.

Tiny Cardinals shortstop David Eckstein lifts a fly ball over the head of centerfielder Curtis Granderson, who seems to have it lined up... and then slips and falls as the ball lands untouched.

The next batter, pinch-hitter So Taguchi, tried to give the Tigers an out. He drops a sacrifice bunt in front of the plate. Reliever Fernando Rodney picks up the ball... and shot-puts it over the head of first baseman Sean Casey.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OH, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I'm glad I didn't see the game...I'm sure I would have CRIED!!!

I guess I am kind of with Duke on this one. I enjoy going to the games in person once in a while but I could do without it on tv. Sorry Luba. I know you are a sports fan.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Re: World Series

Who is watching this year's World Series? If you are, are you for San Francisco Giants or the Texas Rangers?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Although I missed last nights game, I will be watching the WS if I can. It's the only time I watch baseball.

I've been to one Giants game a looooong time ago when they were at Candlestick Park. Talk about cold and dreary. Best cup of hot coco I ever had. I would agree that it's not the most exciting game. I never really liked it but over the last few years I've tried to understand it and now have a better appreciation for the game. In the playoff's or WS, every pitch counts. It's all strategy with a lot of variables, so it's a thinking game.

Go Giants!
    I'm so much cooler online...

There is no kill switch for awesome.

When I was working, I always had bets going with a boss or co-worker on Super Bowl, Grey Cup, Stanley Cup, and World Series. The bets were never more than $10.00 but it was the harassment that was the most fun! Gosh, how I miss those days!

I'm going to go for Texas, wdh, just to give you a rough time!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

ahem.....9-0 Giants. Bottom of the 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by waydownhere View Post
    ahem.....9-0 Giants. Bottom of the 8th.

So much for the harassment I had planned. Anyway, it's not over 'until this fat lady sings'!

I think Texas will come out 'big' shooting for the power that the state is known for! Surely....I hope!

So far only one team has a pitching game. I think the stRanger's are a little out gunned.

Giants in 5.

So far only one team has a pitching game. I think the stRanger's are a little out gunned.

Giants in 5.
    I guess I'm going to have to make my little flag for Texas and start yelling at the screen!

Now that I know there is some fun and harassment here, I can start watching. It's no fun if no one is into harassment.

It would have been even more fun if we could have bet, maybe even $2.00, wdh; I get ab-so-lu-te-ly crazeee when there is a bet involved. Just ask my husband who isn't into Sports and betting no matter how much I nag him....

I'll take the $2 bet. You can even send my winnings in Canadian currency.

Here we go Giants....here we go.

I think this is the first year we have not had a pool of some sort for the WS here in the office. We are big on the NCAA College Basketball tourney tho. We do brackets and everything. Pot is usually around $100. That gets the blood going.

Go Giants!!!!

Oh my gosh, wdh; if we were neighbours....through the Series there would be tons of good-natured harassment and money exchanging hands!

I see Game 3 is on Saturday in Texas and I'll be cheering! Too bad we didn't start the harassment at the beginning so I could have been cheering all along.

Just for future reference, the next big game for us is Grey Cup, but I don't imagine you watch Canadian Football. I did, until the B.C. Lions were losing so badly I just didn't want to waste my time this year. Okay, I'm a fair-weather fan, sue me! So...do you watch Super Bowl, wdh?

Go Rangers!!!

Originally Posted by waydownhere

Quote:
    Go Giants!

I heard that!

I have to go to town this morning, but I will be back to make my Texas Ranger flag for the game tonight!

C'mon, Texas! Give us what you've got, Baby!

It never hurts to get too much of a good thing.

Oh yeah, I watch the Super Bowl. I like watching that game. I used to be a pretty big pro sports fan but when the players started jumping from team to team every year for the big money...that killed it for me. I really don't pay attention to sports much these days.

For what little sports I follow, I'm a 49er's "fan" since I was a kid. For Basketball I have to be a Portland Trailblazer fan since they are the home team. For Collage I'm a Oregon State Beaver fan, my alma mater and I'm a closet Boise State Bronco fan. Go Beavers!

So....Game 3 today in Texas. Only two things come from Texas...steers and.....ahh never mind.

Can the stRangers get it together?

Or has the Giants already beat them into submission with their total domination of the seris so far?

GO GIANTS!

You're a naughty lad, wdh; nau-ghty! I'm just going to have to screeeeeeeeeeeeeeem at the Rangers tonight! If I was at the game, I probably would be asked to leave....or grabbed by my shirt collar and thrown out!

My husband is like you, wdh, about Sports but for a little different reason, it's because of all the rule changes that drove him to quit watching.

When we got married he set down a specific rule: Saturday night was 'Hockey Night in Canada'. I didn't like Hockey but loved the blond, blue-eyed guy I married so I said, "Sure, no problem!" So that was my introduction to Hockey.

Then my youngest Son loved NFL and before long I got interested and we harassed each other SO much about the games, he left home. Not the reason, I just like to make things up as I go along.

I couldn't figure out how anyone could like to watch golf, I likened it to watching paint dry. Well, back at my son's house last year I watched Tom Watson play, and was hooked on that, too.

My husband now watches NASCAR, so does Duke, so I'm slowly getting into that as well!

I only watch the 'World Series' in Baseball, only when I have a bet on or someone to harass! I wouldn't mind watching more games except that I'd constantly be glued to the television.

I don't dare get into watching Basketball or Tennis.

I am now going to go and make my Texas flag, just a little one to wave! Are you going to watch the game tonight, wdh? If you are, just remember there is a redhead in Canada doing this at the Giants!

Booooooooo, Giants, Hisssssssssssss!

I'll be watching the game. I might have to head over to my parents place to watch since Dad is a Giants fan. He grew up in that area. Probably why I'm a fan of the 9er's and the G's.

So what's $2can worth these days? $1.50?

I'll be thinking of ya Luba.

I'll be watching the game. I might have to head over to my parents place to watch since Dad is a Giants fan. He grew up in that area. Probably why I'm a fan of the 9er's and the G's.
    Two against one-no fair!

So what's $2can worth these days? $1.50?

Ouch!
    1.00 Canadian Dollar = 0.9792 U.S. Dollar

Better than usual and it's climbing!

I'll be thinking of ya Luba.
    wdh, keep some kleenex handy just in case you and your Dad need a good cry when Giants lose tonight!

Thread Information