Thread: Tobacco Facts

Tobacco Facts

Every once in a while I jump on my high horse and start preaching the dangers of tobacco to any...

Read More: Tobacco Facts
    Last edited by Duke; 05-19-2010 at 03:36 AM.

Re: Tobacco Facts

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Every once in a while I jump on my high horse and start preaching the dangers of tobacco to any...

More...
    Just read this and thought I had written it.

Having smoked for over 30 years or more I know a little about the health risks first hand.

Thank you Duke and keep up the good fight. I know it's hard for people to quit but if I can do it anyone can.

I've watched people's health deteriorate rapidly from smoking related illnesses and watched them die. The sad part is they don't see it although everyone else around them does.

It is so not necessary these days.

My sister in law died from lung cancer. She smoked most of her life.

PS: Duke your link doesn't take you to the tobacco story, it takes you to the birthday thread. FYI.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Thanks John. I knew how to get to it but figured Duke might want to fix his link. I appreciate the thought though.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Quote Originally Posted by TKDLady View Post

PS: Duke your link doesn't take you to the tobacco story, it takes you to the birthday thread. FYI.
    Link updated

Quote Originally Posted by John Sullivan View Post

More...

Having smoked for over 30 years or more I know a little about the health risks first hand.

Thank you Duke and keep up the good fight. I know it's hard for people to quit but if I can do it anyone can.

I've watched people's health deteriorate rapidly from smoking related illnesses and watched them die. The sad part is they don't see it although everyone else around them does.

Congratulations on dumping the habit, way to go!

Even thought I sometimes preach the dangers of it I still have no idea what I'm talking about really as I've never been a smoker. My POV derives from the numerous and well publicized health risks of smoke and especially second hand smoke.

I usually go off in a rant if I happen to drive past another car where the adults are smoking and the kids are in the back seats with the windows up. Aside from seeing a husband hitting his wife in the car (which I've seen as well), nothing makes my blood boil more.

I think it's fantastic you managed to take control of the addiction John, kudos for you.

Do you have any insight into what method worked best for you and helped you to ultimately quit?
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Quote Originally Posted by TKDLady View Post

Link updated

More...

Congratulations on dumping the habit, way to go!

Even thought I sometimes preach the dangers of it I still have no idea what I'm talking about really as I've never been a smoker. My POV derives from the numerous and well publicized health risks of smoke and especially second hand smoke.

I usually go off in a rant if I happen to drive past another car where the adults are smoking and the kids are in the back seats with the windows up. Aside from seeing a husband hitting his wife in the car (which I've seen as well), nothing makes my blood boil more.

I think it's fantastic you managed to take control of the addiction John, kudos for you.

Do you have any insight into what method worked best for you and helped you to ultimately quit?
    Duke

I have had to take control of my life several times, Drug addiction, Alcoholism and cigarette smoking all which started around 12 years old . I finally beat the drugs and alcohol after trying for many years at age 44. It took me 5 more years to finally beat the cigs.

The alcohol and drugs were kicked by cold turkey method the only one that works in my opinion. I have been involved in AA for 13+ years now.

Smoking was kicked with the aid of the patch which I wore for 6 weeks according to the manufacturers and doctors recommendations.

The motivator here was the realization that I was suffering from emphysema, an illness my doctor had been warning me about for years. When I could not breath well enough to finish an entire sentence without gasping for air, I decided it was time. I was desperate and wanted to live. Very similar to what I have most recently gone through with diabetes.

I decided I liked breathing more then I liked smoking.

For those who smoke here let me just say that not being able to breath is a horrible experience and one that only gets worse with time.

The progression of respiratory problems is so gradual they are often overlooked and denied until it is too late. You can not reverse it. You can only live with what you have left.

Many people think that dieing from smoking related problems is as bad as it gets but living with them can be worse then death.

I'm not going to try and convince anyone they should quit smoking they already know that.

They have to make their own decisions about that just like I did.

Wow John that's quite the story, thank you for posting it.

I think that's the problem with most addictions in that many people don't realize what addiction is doing to them until it's too late. Too late doesn't always necessarily translate to deteriorating health either, it can also be deteriorating relationships such as family, friends, etc.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

I think that's the problem with most addictions in that many people don't realize what addiction is doing to them until it's too late. Too late doesn't always necessarily translate to deteriorating health either, it can also be deteriorating relationships such as family, friends, etc.
    I can tell you for a fact that ANY addiction effects the whole family and yes everything falls apart eventually. Family, friends, finances, health, careers, everything.

My story in detail would curl your hair but I save the gory details for those who think they can't recover from the same problems. Most people who know me now, can't believe what they hear about my life when told from my own mouth. I'd hardly believe it myself if I hadn't lived it.

But, this thread is about Tobacco facts mot me.

By the way Duke, another method that has had some success for some people is the use of Welbutrin (anti depressant) in combination with the nicotine patches. As you might imagine the Welbutrin counteracts the mental anguish experienced when the brain is being deprived of the toxic substance it has come to depend upon for normal functioning.

My doctor prescribed this for me too but having a history of drug abuse, I chose not to take it. It reminded me of the high I experienced with speed and I thought it best not to remind my brain of that feeling.

Part of the battle in quitting is to stay up beat and positive about not smoking. The welbutrin helps do this for some folks.

There are also groups like Smoke Enders and Nicotine Anonymous that provide support for the recovering smoker. Again I did not participate in this because I was able to use my friends in AA for that same support. Talking about the difficulties in quitting and the smoking dreams that often occur after quitting is very helpful in preventing the addict from feeling scared and alone.

Most people who try to quit without some support structure behind them invariably fail. Just having someone who cares and has been there can be very comforting and reassuring.

I can tell you for a fact that ANY addiction effects the whole family and yes everything falls apart eventually. Family, friends, finances, health, careers, everything.

My story in detail would curl your hair but I save the gory details for those who think they can't recover from the same problems. Most people who know me now, can't believe what they hear about my life when told from my own mouth. I'd hardly believe it myself if I hadn't lived it.

But, this thread is about Tobacco facts mot me.
    We need a thread about you John because your insight into this topic is astounding. Thank you very much for the input because I'm sure it can help those who need to quit (which is pretty much everybody if you ask me).

I wonder if it may be time to add another tobacco story to the news page only this time with ways to stop?
    My Daughter Rules!

Too bad ConnieTalk isn't a member here.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Too bad ConnieTalk isn't a member here.
    Yeah she's always fun to talk to about smoking and the dangers of. In all fairness to Connie, most smokers take the same approach and present the same defenses.

Sooner or later the health risks and dangers all get back to: "I have the right to smoke and you can't stop me" "It's my life and I have the right to kill myself if I like"

Can't argue with that.

Fact: Smoking makes your breath & your clothes stink.

I refuse to date smokers.

Funny enough, I'm a smoker.

I've been smoking for about 5 years now, for some stupid reason I decided to start smoking when I was 21. I know, I'm stupid. I will say though, I have no problems not smoking for an entire day and I have no problems not smoking when it's cold out. Come to think of it, I never have cravings to smoke unless I am drinking and a pack of smokes (25 pack) will last me 3 - 4 days. I mainly smoke at work so I can get out of the office and go for a walk.

If I am dating someone, I won't smoke around them. That means if I am with them for 5 days straight, I won't smoke for 5 days straight.

Oddly enough, because it's no problem for me not to smoke, I don't feel the need to quit. How dumb is that?

As for drugs....I've done too many and partied way too hard for way too long in such a relatively small amount of time (4 years), but for me to stop it was easy. I just stopped. Now, if I can do that with drugs - just stop with no problems, then I am pretty sure I can just do that with smoking. Why don't I? That's a good question, I have no idea. I stopped partying because my health was being seriously affected. I dropped 35 lbs and couldn't stand up w/o passing out 50% of the time (I went from 195 to 160. I'm 220 now). Maybe because my health isn't being affected right now (I know it is, but there are no signs that shows it is) is why I don't bother to quit. I don't know, seems to me I should, but I just don't really care. I think I am of the mentality that I have only been smoking for 5 years, so I'm still good for another few years. Sounds stupid, I know...
    Last edited by ThisGuyIKnow; 08-18-2008 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
    Oddly enough, because it's no problem for me not to smoke, I don't feel the need to quit. How dumb is that?
    I knew someone who smoked for over 40 years. She smoked one cigarette a day, with her morning coffee while reading the paper. Otherwise she never touched nicotine. She quit at age 62 or so, simply because she thought cigarettes were getting too expensive. She's 82 now, and is doing about as well as an 82 year old can be expected to do, last I heard.

We need a thread about you John because your insight into this topic is astounding. Thank you very much for the input because I'm sure it can help those who need to quit (which is pretty much everybody if you ask me).

I wonder if it may be time to add another tobacco story to the news page only this time with ways to stop?
    Yeah he is extraordinary. He'll eventually leak everything. If he gave it to us all at once we might not believe it.

But back to The Topic at hand.

I must be one of the few people that can smoke, and quit, and smoke, and quit on demand......if I'm bored, or drinking around smokers, or if something else causes the mood to strike, I'll smoke. I'll even Jones for a cigarette.

But then I can easily quit, and go months or years, without smoking.

I never have and never will and hope my children never do. It is a smelly habit and that smell permeates everything. It even stains the walls in your house. I have seen cancer infested lungs. No thank you. The air we breath on a daily basis is probably bad enough depending on where you live.

This article has been updated as tobaccofacts.org has been discontinued:

Province of British Columbia - Tobacco Facts

I've also added some new info. to bring the article up to date.

Read More: Tobacco Facts
    Last edited by Duke; 05-19-2010 at 03:47 AM.
    My Daughter Rules!

There has been much public nagging at smokers thanks to the Blair Nanny Administration what has turned the British electorate into Smoking Police to get there oar in on anyone found smoking, even if the smoker chooses to stand far away from thems what object to it.

I smoke. And, I don't care who knows it. Been smoking since I was 5. A few here and there never done me any harm. I am not addicted either. But I enjoy a cig, even if its one of mummy's lovely Ziganovs.

Okay, so I may come under fire for what I just posted. But thats me, and you is you. And I'll not be back on the topic.

I don't think you'll get hammered for sharing your opinion Floxx, you have every right to share your thoughts on the matter.

You have to understand that the original story is written from a non smokers point of view and it was written very shortly after seeing a father driving down the road with a smoke in hand, windows rolled up and small children in the car.

I think smoking or choosing not to smoke is up to the individual. Where I get a little put off is when people smoke around those who are not in a position to decide for themselves whether or not they want to be exposed to second hand smoke.

That really is the main point of the article, whether I captured it or not is a whole other story?
    My Daughter Rules!

I don't think you'll get hammered for sharing your opinion Floxx, you have every right to share your thoughts on the matter.

You have to understand that the original story is written from a non smokers point of view and it was written very shortly after seeing a father driving down the road with a smoke in hand, windows rolled up and small children in the car.

I think smoking or choosing not to smoke is up to the individual. Where I get a little put off is when people smoke around those who are not in a position to decide for themselves whether or not they want to be exposed to second hand smoke.

That really is the main point of the article, whether I captured it or not is a whole other story?
    The pont of the story was spot on. But most parents what drive never smoke unless there windows are down, or the kids and there mum will complain. Much over over here is geared to tobacco/smoking awareness, and where children to young to object or know how to, most parents and singles are very aware never to smoke where children are present. Of course, the USA is a huge continent in itself, and smoking awareness my not be quite so acute as over here. Add fact that an average packet of cigs cost IRO £6 for 20, and no wonder people buy cigs in other European countrys where Duty & Excise is lower.

Recent UK laws make it a criminal offence to smoke in public places. Add today's VAT hike of 2.5% and soon, UK smokers will be costed out of buying anything smokeable. Unless of course, they grow there own baccy.

i've had 1 aunt, an uncle, a grandmother and grandfather die of cancer. my grandmother was never a smoker but she was around second had smoke on a regular basis. back then, it was nothing to see people sitting in smoke filled rooms with us kids in it. my generation grew up in smoke filled homes, smoking at the malls, restaurants, buses, everywhere so it was the norm so to speak.

i smoked for 35 years. decideed to quit on november 20th 2011. i was begining to feel annopyed with always having tio clear my lungs, my throat and caoughing whenever i would laugh hard. i quit smoking using champix. it worked the way it should work for me and i do highly recomend it to anyone who wants to quit smoking. everyone i know didn't have much faith in me and my mission to quit smoking but that's what drove me to make sure i did it the first time i tried. and know what? wasn't all that hard at all...losing weight is harder then that IMO. i used to smoke a pack and a half a day. sarted smoking at the young age of 12 (completely crazy).

my oldest daughter smokes but my youngest does not. my dad, who is 69 yrs old is on his first week of quitting. he did promise me years ago that if i ever quit, he would quit too...this will be his 3rd try since i stopped smoking...i think this time, he jsut might do it - he really wants it this time i think. that will only leave my brother, his wife and my daughter left. the majority now in my family are non smokers when at one time, it used to be the other way around...my mother quit smoking 30 years ago. my other brother smokes once in a bkue moon and the other one never did start.

i have to say that i feel so much better now. i can now take a deep breath without hacking my head off (not too attractive to hack..yikes!) and don't have to worry about being in non smoking environments for long periods of time. silly as it sounds, when you're a smoker, taking a bus, plane or train is super stressful due to the non smoking laws now.

the bonus! my teeth have never been whiter! love it!
    Life is what you make of it. Make it happen.

Awesome, Star, very inspiring post!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Quote Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
    Fact: Smoking makes your breath & your clothes stink.

I refuse to date smokers.

Funny enough, I'm a smoker.

I've been smoking for about 5 years now, for some stupid reason I decided to start smoking when I was 21. I know, I'm stupid. I will say though, I have no problems not smoking for an entire day and I have no problems not smoking when it's cold out. Come to think of it, I never have cravings to smoke unless I am drinking and a pack of smokes (25 pack) will last me 3 - 4 days. I mainly smoke at work so I can get out of the office and go for a walk.

If I am dating someone, I won't smoke around them. That means if I am with them for 5 days straight, I won't smoke for 5 days straight.

As for drugs....I've done too many and partied way too hard for way too long in such a relatively small amount of time (4 years), but for me to stop it was easy. I just stopped. Now, if I can do that with drugs - just stop with no problems, then I am pretty sure I can just do that with smoking. Why don't I? That's a good question, I have no idea. I stopped partying because my health was being seriously affected. I dropped 35 lbs and couldn't stand up w/o passing out 50% of the time (I went from 195 to 160. I'm 220 now). Maybe because my health isn't being affected right now (I know it is, but there are no signs that shows it is) is why I don't bother to quit. I don't know, seems to me I should, but I just don't really care. I think I am of the mentality that I have only been smoking for 5 years, so I'm still good for another few years. Sounds stupid, I know...
    even thought it's kinda late to reply on this thread, but i totall agree with you you nail it!

Thread Information