Understanding Depression

Ever feel depressed for a short while but were able to shake it for one reason or another? Imagine if you felt that way every waking minute of ever day. According to the World Health Organization, depression is doubling every ten years...

More...
    Last edited by Duke; 08-10-2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Updated Link
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Re: Understanding Depression

The understanding depression article has been updated as well and now includes symptoms, causes and statistics. I felt the old article was a bit too vague and pretty much left it up to the reader to research depression which really doesn't help someone suffering.

Now there are more links and more info for those who are suffering or believe they may be suffering from depression. The whole idea being that if we can increase understanding of depression, maybe we can decrease the instances of depression.

Never hurts to try at least.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

The statistics blew me away " the second most pervasive illness by 2020"?

Great article, Duke!

I think it's better now that there's some actual information as well as stats and other info. that may push people to do something should they suffer from it.
    My Daughter Rules!

I have a few depressed friends that I am having trouble being around. Is that a terrible thing to say?

I wish there was an article on how just friends can help a depressed person without taking it in themselves...or just remain loving but neutral....

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    I have a few depressed friends that I am having trouble being around. Is that a terrible thing to say?

I wish there was an article on how just friends can help a depressed person without taking it in themselves...or just remain loving but neutral....
    It's hard to be around someone who's depressed all the time. The problem is that many people don't want to admit to being depressed, are worried about seeking help for depression or are simply embarrassed about being depressed.

The sad part is that you need to do something about depression in order to understand and ultimately beat it but it's depression that sucks your drive out of you making you not want to act.
    My Daughter Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post

It's hard to be around someone who's depressed all the time. The problem is that many people don't want to admit to being depressed, are worried about seeking help for depression or are simply embarrassed about being depressed.

The sad part is that you need to do something about depression in order to understand and ultimately beat it but it's depression that sucks your drive out of you making you not want to act.
    That is SO true! I have a depressed friend right now that keeps going to the doctor for all kinds of tests but refusing to admit it's depression. Depressed people do not understand why people find it difficult to be around them; I believe it adds more to the depression because they then feel unloved and unwanted. It is SO sad....

It definitely is a vicious cycle.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

I believe that everyone has sometimes in depression like home problems, office problems etc just loss yourself and let them go not think too much about the trouble! and if you want to take services for your stress treatment then it is also a good idea.

<---Link Drop Removed--->

Staff Note:

Unfortunately, new members at Lifesupporters.com are no longer permitted to link offsite for any reason. This restriction only applies to new members simply because many register with the intent of ONLY attaining free advertising, self promotion and/or backlinks.

Once you've reached 10 legitimate forum posts, your linking restrictions will be lifted and you will be able to link anywhere offsite, within reason of course.

Please refer to our FAQ paying particular attention to the rules governing new membership at Lifesupporters.com and offsite linking.

Thanks
    Last edited by Duke; 12-31-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Never thought it would happen to me. When it did, BOOM! I keep a journal and some of the things I wrote were messed up. I now understand what it's like for people in that situation whereas I used to think they were weak and not worthy of sharing the same beautiful planet as me. But man was I ever lowdown and on the pity-pot. I'm thankful I was able to extract myself. I never ever ever want to feel so helpless and depressed like I used to be ever again. I would seriously be unable to take it and go insane. The worst part for me was the loneliness and feeling no one cared about my situation. I'm getting upset just typing this out cause I was in such a bad state.

Thread Information