Thread: The Empty Nest

The Empty Nest

Most of you know I have two kids. One is currently in college and the other one is about to start. My daughter, 20 years old, is currently in Orlando going for a degree in Computer Animation. My son, 18 years old, is about to start his college career and going for a degree in Aerospace Engineering. His goal is to fly jets in the Air Force and I hope he gets to one day. His school just happens to be in Orlando as well so and we are taking him there this week for orientation and registration. We will be paying for his dorm and probably some type of food plan. Going to be an expensive week. We will be staying with my daughter so hopefully she is prepared for the invasion. He is coming home with us and then turning around and going back down probably mid August to start school. We will have an empty nest as they say. I am dreading it. My life has been my kids for the last 20 years and I don't know what I will do. I am going to need a lot of cheering up so if I get grumpy on here please understand. I am already tearing up just writing this. Just had to post about my feelings in this matter.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Re: The Empty Nest

Oh, my dear, dear friend, tkdlady, I SO feel for you! It IS a very, very difficult time in a Mother's life when the children grow up and leave...I had a terrible time when Duke left, then his brother. OMG, I'm tearing up about it now and it's been almost twenty years! I will cry with you, tkdlady, anytime you need it!

I NEVER got over my empty nest syndrome because I LOVE my boys so much! If I had my way I would have kept them before school age, then they were mine forever...unfortunately, life doesn't let us do that...only in memory!

They both grew up to be the FINEST of men and I am SO proud of them!(One heart for each of them!)

Thanks Luba. You are making me cry again!!!
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Quote Originally Posted by tkdlady View Post
    Thanks Luba. You are making me cry again!!!
    I'm right here with you with tears in my eyes! This is SUCH a hard thing to go through for Mothers!

Fortunately, Orlando is only 6 hours away. If they were clear across the country in another state I would be a real basket case.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdlady View Post
    Fortunately, Orlando is only 6 hours away. If they were clear across the country in another state I would be a real basket case.
    I can't imagine children leaving to a far-away country where one cannot see them practically at all....I would be totally lost then...

Thread Information