Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: If Your Child told you he/she was gay....

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Ivy I'm not Religious at all but I do have one question for you in regards to the Bible's take on homosexuality and that of the Religions. Isn't the Bible written in a way where it's rather wide open to interpretation? Could it be that perhaps your take on the Bible is more liberal than that of a Religious group?

Again, I'm not pointing any fingers, I'm just curious for my own knowledge.
    Yes, the Bible is fairly open to just about any interpretation. Some people even think the Bible is filled with 'hate speech.' Some people find that any interpretation of the Bible, other than their own or Minister's, is wrong.

Yet virtually daily, Scholars continue to argue the translations that incarnated the English version of the Bible and what the true meaning behind the scriptures are. After all, the Bible was written 100 years after Jesus' death and in a foreign ancient language. That alone leaves a lot to misinterpretation.

I've studied not just a handful of different Religions, but the History of the Bible for years. What I have found is that, not only are everyone's reading comprehension slightly different (which helps determine the true meaning of any message), but the majority of Religious Groups have no idea and have not studied the History of Religion. Especially not the congregation.

They simply do not question anyone that has taught them their Religion, because they believe that to question is to not have Faith. This is the ignorance I was speaking about. Not really understanding the Bible as a whole. Not insofar as their own interpretation, however completely blind I may think their taught opinion is.

Any one of us can take one sentence out of any book, rather it is Religious or not and take that one sentence out of context. We can apply that one sentence to anything we dislike and spin it to our own desire, projecting our own shame on others while misusing the true meaning of the Author's message.

We must read these Religious teachings as a whole, not just take one verse and misuse the message. There are actually three Bible Stories that are on the subject of Homosexuality, not just the one everyone seems to hear about the most. It would probably shock most Religious Groups to learn that Jesus never said anything negative about homosexuality. I'm sure that the History of what our Bible is now, compared to how it started out, would surely shock a lot of people. That's a whole other thread of debate.

Thanks for the insight Ivy
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

my first reaction would be of shock but i wouldn't try to talk my child out of it because i know it's not something that can be changed - people are born this way. I would love my child no matter what sex preference they hold.

I have a nephew who i knew was always gay from the time he was 2. the parents didn't know and the kid came out of hiding in his early teens. of course this devistated the parents - sent him to councelling to try and "change his ways"...of course that didn't work, he's still gay and has been since birth. I love the kid. it didn't change who he was, he's still a clown that loves to make people laugh and has a heart of gold. everyone knew he was gay before he came out so accepting the news was old news to all of us in the family.

my child is my child no matter what and loving your children unconditionally should come with no bounderies.
    Life is what you make of it. Make it happen.

We must read these Religious teachings as a whole, not just take one verse and misuse the message. There are actually three Bible Stories that are on the subject of Homosexuality, not just the one everyone seems to hear about the most. It would probably shock most Religious Groups to learn that Jesus never said anything negative about homosexuality. I'm sure that the History of what our Bible is now, compared to how it started out, would surely shock a lot of people. That's a whole other thread of debate.
    I'm glad to hear we have someone amongst us who has your kind of religious education. I would be interested in reading the stories you mention above. Would you mind posting versus so I can look them up? I'd be real interested in this.

I plan on becoming a Hospital Chaplin soon. I don't mind any religion, I just don't like the preachings of hate. My quest to find the answers for the negativity against the disabled, lead to the homosexuality subject. I'm not really a great Bible verse thumper. (Or debater of Bible verses...) There are so many verses that could contradict another verse. I also don't speak or read Greek nor Hebrew as of yet. There are several great sites that interpret the Bible Verses in liberal terms out there, but I'm linking this one. It brings a lot of History with it too.

What the Bible Says - And Doesn't Say - About Homosexuality

Edit: Here's a website that refers to the three Homosexual Bible Stories I mentioned previously. Again, they are very liberal translations of the Bible as opposed to the literal or right-wing beliefs.

http://www.wouldjesusdiscriminate.or...uth_naomi.html

There's actually a little more mentioned about same-sex relationships in the Bible than just the three stories, but it does explain the versions of the Bible, etc.

I did see on the news that the Catholic Church has decided not to teach 'condemnation' of homosexuals any longer, but is still teaching that homosexuality is 'immoral behavior.' Yet, although the Church still does believe in the immorality of it, they are not forcing anyone to believe that.

I think that's a huge step forward from where this all began. Even if not all people can accept that there are nice, loving and spiritual people that are born gay - at least maybe the killings will stop.
    Last edited by IvyRose; 07-18-2010 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IvyRose View Post
    I plan on becoming a Hospital Chaplin soon. I don't mind any religion, I just don't like the preachings of hate. My quest to find the answers for the negativity against the disabled, lead to the homosexuality subject. I'm not really a great Bible verse thumper. (Or debater of Bible verses...) There are so many verses that could contradict another verse. I also don't speak or read Greek nor Hebrew as of yet. There are several great sites that interpret the Bible Verses in liberal terms out there, but I'm linking this one. It brings a lot of History with it too.

What the Bible Says - And Doesn't Say - About Homosexuality

Edit: Here's a website that refers to the three Homosexual Bible Stories I mentioned previously. Again, they are very liberal translations of the Bible as opposed to the literal or right-wing beliefs.

Would Jesus Discriminate? - Ruth loved Naomi as Adam loved Eve

There's actually a little more mentioned about same-sex relationships in the Bible than just the three stories, but it does explain the versions of the Bible, etc.

I did see on the news that the Catholic Church has decided not to teach 'condemnation' of homosexuals any longer, but is still teaching that homosexuality is 'immoral behavior.' Yet, although the Church still does believe in the immorality of it, they are not forcing anyone to believe that.

I think that's a huge step forward from where this all began. Even if not all people can accept that there are nice, loving and spiritual people that are born gay - at least maybe the killings will stop.
    Thanks for the links!!! I don't have time to view them now but will early next week and will let you know what I think.

this is true. I sent my kids to catholic schools and now, kids who are homosexual need not hide anymore which is a huge step compared to when i went to school.

My kids grew up with no prejudices towards color or homosexuals. I think it's awesome how most of this generation has evolved in acceptance towards their peers. of course you'll always have the few that still live in the dark ages but they have now become the monority.
    Life is what you make of it. Make it happen.

The Gay Pride Fest was fun yesterday and I wanted to share some photo I took. I have downloaded them to a local citizen journalist website for my area and I'm adding the link here for anyone who cares to go and have a look. Regardless of the event, I hope you all enjoy the spirit of the occasion and the many intersting photos I acquired.

Gay Pride Fest 2010 - FRESH INK

I find it horrifying how most 'Christians' or 'Religious Followers' take one verse out of the Bible, completely out of context to the relevant Bible Story and stick it to something like homosexuality.

If we were following the Bible correctly, women would not wear pants! That's just how silly some people are, taking the Bible stories so literally or taking one verse way out of context.

God loves his homosexual children, even if your own parents don't!!! I pray for the people who do not understand the Bible. I pray for the preachers teaching people to hate homosexuality. Then Christians wonder why people turn away from Religion.

No, it would not bother me if my child were gay. I wouldn't even be caught off guard. I've already had this discussion in my youth and know exactly what I went through, so I don't even have to guess about it.

I admire you tremenduosly for saying what you did. Because you have seen above the 'head' homosexuality to where it is properly proportioneded in society, and without being judgemental. That you had teenage experiences what, maybe like me, you found struggle with. And this is one of the terrible pressure points of teenagers what feel they have to declare there sexuality. Because so many struggle about telling there parents and friends - agonise about it some of thems. And this is a big issue among us to declare, or, "come out".

Now. I'm not going to label myself any more than mummy what I discussed with, as for me it isn't important saying if I am lesbian/gay, bixual or straihgt. I know what I like, but also know it isn't safe to declare ones sexuality in a town or a village or a city where peoples are highly judgemental, critical. Feelings run high against "queers!, so I shut up and say nothing.

Two years ago some girls were tawnting another girl for being a "Lezzy". Theys was punching her, making her cry and pulling her lovely blonde hair. Until I evened up the odds and defended her. They ran away. She became my friend. Became my Besty. And now by assocyation I am labelled Lezzy2. So what? I'm not going to say what side of the fence I sit on. But unlike my peers I am comfy with what I am and, who I am.

Christians says what they feel about there beliefs. But them same peoples go to church but in their hypocracy bypass a homeless person by stepping over thems on the pavement. Now, I am Catholic and by my old life of hardship and poverty know what it was like to be in hardship, and I would stop and make that homeless person feel loved. I would buy thems a KFC or a McD, and give it to thems. Or, invite thems to stay with my family over Christmas. So, this is to me, faith in action. Not bigotary. And many Christians what disgree with homosexuality based on there bible on the one hand, forget God's poor what will always be with us.

My old mother what hurt and abused me, what mummy took me away from, she was devout. She hated gays and bisexxuals, hated with a HATE so many things. And yet, go to church and sing and pray and stuff, but come home to do stuff to me. My ex mum had only come out of confession half an hour ago to knock me around. Its hypocrits like her what hurt others and theys are Christians. But, that won't stop me from loving the God what I know, thems what hurt gays in there pompous bible thumping ways I don't take much notice of. It's the doing, the actions of our lives, it's the love and acceptance of peoples young and peoples old to embrace thems what wish to live a differnt life style to there own.

Floxx

I wouldn't endorse it but I would certainly support my kids at all costs. Certainly.

Thread Information