Heavy Price of Obesity

CANOE -- CNEWS - Canada: Heavy price of obesity

Obesity is a $4.3 billion burden in Canada including health care expenditures and indirect costs, such as years lost from premature death.

Re: Heavy Price of Obesity

I think it is a bazillion dollar burden here too. It is really sad to see people so overweight. My daughter is getting heavy but I don't know how to approach the subject with her without giving her a complex of some type. I don't want to hurt her feelings and I am sure she realizes she needs to lose weight. I also know that with her school schedule she doesn't really have exercise time and her eating habits are pitiful. They may eat dinner at midnight then go to bed for a few hours and be up by 4 for class or lab at 5 in the morning. I wish I knew what to do. I am hoping that she will find time to exercise some.

Also, she is unfortunately my daughter and since I have trouble keeping it off she has inherited that bad gene.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

"People are starting to understand obesity is here to stay," said Lau.

That scares me since we all know now the price to our health and the health care system due to obesity. Our health care system has been going downhill rapidly anyway, so if we can do something ourselves to keep healthy we won't need it as much. There are horror stories almost every day about people on stretchers in hallways in hospitals, even closets. How bizarre is that?

I find that more and more people are expecting their governments to help them so why should they do anything to help themselves. THAT is the scary part. No one takes responsibility for themselves anymore. Probably the majority of illnesses could be taken care of if the people with them would have done some preventative maintenance before they got that way.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

I agree! It seems we all want the good, easy life and are way to sedentary.

I blame the governments for making things so easy and for these special interest groups who go and lobby for their groups to have an easier life cause they are such a misunderstood group or what ever. ACLU is a biggie here that really makes me want to shoot someone.

Thread Information