Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you keep the weight off?

curious
    - how do you loose weight/keep fit?
    - what measures do you take to keep the weight off?

i have a very very bad way of loosing weight and keeping it off - i self starve, im also bulimic - not the best way to loose weight i know, its part of this that and everything else.

on a healthier note i used to do a fair bit of walking, and horse riding, i also do manual stuff at work, i pull a lot of heavey stuff around, lifting, and stretching and lots and lots of walkign and running around.

im not really into matial arts, and its not very safe to be walking around in the dark (which is when is before and after work for me) ive considered maybe taking up dance again after xmas - so that its in a safe environment but im not sure.

Re: How do you keep the weight off?

Go for it! We had a professional dancer in our kung-fu club a few years back - he made the rest of us look like unfit coach potatoes! Dancing is an excellent way to get fit, and you can dance at home at no cost too. Just pop on your favourite music, and dance! Consider it like interval training - 3 minute songs with lots of activity, then a rest, then a quieter song, then more dancing. Dancing with a partner must be more fun though. Do you watch those dance shows on TV? Strictly Ballroom and Come Dancing? (not sure if the modern versions go by that name). Lots of fit people!

well i used to dance when i was younger, from the age of 7 till about 13-14, i used to dance with my cousin and have lessons, did competitions and all sorts, loved it, but things changed and i gave it up. its been about 6 years since i danced properly, so id probably be terrible at it!

I am sure it will all come flooding back in no time. Those 7 years of dancing experience will not be lost, not if dancing is like martial arts. You will feel rusty to start with, but within a few weeks you'll be flowing like water again.

I do martial arts but don't eat right. If I would eat better then the workouts I get in class would do wonders. As for dancing I love to but don't know how to. As for you GG, you don't look like you need to lose any weight.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

She's underweight, by 10 pounds.
    She in no way shape or form needs to lose weight.
    She's just being insecure :/

I whole-heartedly agree, FB.

Actually, if you don't mind me saying so...

GG - you could stand to GAIN a good deal of weight! Seriously!

yeah, no weight lose for you, already look like the wind will blow you over.

Wish I had your figure.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

- how do you loose weight/keep fit?
    - what measures do you take to keep the weight off?
    First off ... you ... are ... not ... overweight, I agree with Zil here

Second, I do not want to make light hearted attempts at the idea of weight loss but, all I eat is junk. I rarely ever eat healthy, In fact I would have to say that chocolate and peanut butter are the 2 things I eat the most. I enjoy eating lots of meat as well. I drink WAY to much Coca-Cola, in fact that's about all I drink.

I am not bragging at all but I still wear the same size pants as I did 16 years ago (when I was 18,). I know nothing about weight loss and I have remained slim my whole life.

Needless to say you do not need to loose weight and I hope I am not offending anyone by saying that I already knew that you are a beautiful person (before I saw yur picture) and FB is probably very proud to be seen with you, I know I would be.

i cant delete that from his post here - not fair.

ok - i weigh about 95lbs (just under 7 stone), im 5'5" and according to my doctor i should weigh 133lbs (9.5stone)

- however what the doctor thinks and what i think are very very different. i dont mind weighing 7 stone, i think the most i have weighed in 98lbs - and that i guess i didnt mind,

just due to being ill recently, i havent kept much food down and my weight dropped to about 84lbs, im now slowly putting a bit back on hence why i weigh something closer to 95lbs. i wouldnt ever go above 100lbs. theres a little thing in my head that says "NOOOOO!!!"""" and yeah back to panicking and loosing weight again. its not healthy i know but i dont see a problem with it, im alive and well enough.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyway i was trying to find out ways people lost weight not decided im under/over weight

ps. i HATE seeing myself - seriously. i really really think theres nothing worth looking at!

IR, you must have a high metabolism. Mine, I think, runs like a turtle. I just look at chocolate and I gain 5 lbs. Everyone is different. No one gains and loses the same way or in the same amount of time. What works for one may not do anything for someone else. Just my opinion.

Food is my problem too. Well, it is everyone's really! I must have a turtle's metabolism too. No matter how much I try to lose weight, I just stay stuck at 95kg. A few years ago I did manage to get down to 85kg, but that involved pretty extreme dieting and lots of exercise too. I maintained the weight for about 6 months, but then I slowed down on my exercise (I started playing World of Warcraft, and missed classes...) and my weight increased. Then my wife got pregnant, and I guess we both pigged out a bit. I have been trying to lose weight again for a few months, but I still seem to be 95kgs. Actually, I will weigh myself now, I I do feel a little slimmer at the moment.......nope, still 95kg. When I lost weight, I adopted the following diet, whic hI do not recommend....

Breakfast - muesli
    Lunch - soup
    Dinner - tinned mackerel in tom sauce.

That was it. It was hell. I was hungry. But it worked. Some days I would have a chocolate bar in the afternoon as an award for doing so well. I think that this extreme diet lasted about 2 weeks, then I increased food. All dieting stopped at the weekend - I could pig out at weekends. I cannot seem to muster the willpower to do that again!

The best thing I have discovered is to just eat what you like but not to the extreme. If you like potato chips then put a few in a bowl and don't eat more. Drink lots of water because it flushes out your system and probably does wonders for dry skin. And take a walk every day. You don't have to sweat your butt off, you just need to move around. If you don't eat tons then you should do fine. The rule of thumb is a pound a week. Too much too fast only makes it come back on faster. If you lose it slowly but steadily it should stay off better, until you get to be my age then that becomes a factor. Anyway, denying yourself the things you love only causes you to binge the next time you are weak. Eat the things you love but in smaller amounts and also many small meals in a day instead of just 3 main ones. That way you aren't hungry so much which hopefully will help you control how much you eat.

Restaurants are another story. I don't know about European restaurants but here you get enough to feed 3 people at most places. When ever you go out, immediately after you order, ask for a to-go box and when your food arrives place half of it in the box. Eat what is left. That is my biggest problem when I go out. I don't usually do that and then I continue to eat all of what is on my plate even after I am stuffed. Mostly it just tastes so good that I keep taking bites until it is gone. If I would put half away first then it would be out of sight and out of mind. Just some suggestions.

GG... I don't want to say anything that comes across mean or offensive, so please don't misunderstand me, k?

But I have to speak my mind... I absolutely cannot believe you've never weighed 100 lbs. or more. That is really not healthy. I think you would feel absolutely amazing if you weighed closer to 133 lbs. I, for one, think that anyone anywhere near your height who weighs around 95 lbs would look MUCH better being 130 or 140 (hell even 150) lbs. But that's just me. I don't care for skin and bones, I never have. I think it looks sickly and I blame Hollywood and magazines for drilling that nonsense into females' minds and it is my goal to do whatever I can to help my daughter understand as she grows up that Hollywood and magazines should NOT dictate what is "pretty", "sexy" or "acceptable" in our world.

GG, I think you're great.. I do. I think you and FB are very fortunate to have each other and -- like I said -- I don't want anything I say to come across as mean or anything but...
    ...if I saw you walking down the street and I didn't know you, I'd think to myself: "That chic needs to go eat a Big Mac every single day for every single meal for at least a month!"

Nothing but <3 for ya GG!!! ..but you need to worry about putting on some weight, NOT losing it!!!!!!!

Some UK restaurants pile the food on. Last week I met some friends at a pub in London, and we all ordered an "ultimate burger". I was good, but man, it was big too! One of my friends left half of it. He is slimmer than me.......

The positive thing with me right now is that I'm not gaining any weight, so that's what I'm looking at instead of getting negative about not being able to lose to get to the weight I want to feel even more terrific than I do now!

I've returned to my exercising four/five/six days a week, and I find it's not that hard to continue this providing I don't stop for a week and then start again; THAT'S the hard part. I'm finding I don't have as much trouble getting up and just going for it without finding excuses why I should linger in bed for more rest because I do get up extremely early! I'm a Morning person anyway, so getting up earlier isn't all that hard as long as I don't think about it too much!

I'm not that much of a water drinker, but am making a conscious effort at work to do so. I am also doing the same at home on weekends. I try not to go to the between aisles at the Supermarket, just the Vegetable aisle and fly to the yogurt aisle all the way to the end. My husband is the chef here so he looks after our terrific meals which is why I'm having trouble losing weight. But I do cut down on my helpings.

I don't do much walking in Winter, but I do so much of it during Spring, Summer, and Fall; so in Winter I make a new schedule for early exercising. I LOVE to walk, gives me peace and gives me my best thinking for the day.
    When I go out with friends, I try to stay away from the French Fries and order a salad with a chicken burger, or have Salad from the Salad Bar; nothing spectacular, and I stay away from the dessert except for maybe sharing one once a month with my great friend. If the helping is huge, I immediately order a container so I can divide my food and eat a smaller portion.

i have to admit America has some huge problems when it comes to weight i mean everyone knows its the fattest country in the world. aka "land of fat" but thats mainly due to the fact that every food portion over there could feed the entire population of Ethiopia, and you have FREE refills. everywhere!!!! here you pay 3x as much in money for a large drink as you do there. and if you want a refil - you best get your money out! food portions in a restaurant are enough to fill an average person and not have anything left over. - if you plan to be over weight in Britain, your gonna be poor!

Zil - its ok i dont take offense, i know people have very different opinions on what people *should* or *shouldnt* look like. and everyone has preferences. I personally dont think i am all skin and bones. i cant see all my bones - some of them i admit. like when i lie down i can see my ribs. they arent so noticeable that you can see every one of them, or that the skin is tight against them because im *that* thin. because im not.

people have very different views on my weight issue. for instance - my parents think i am underweight, as does Fb, and a few of my colleagues at work. - there is people that think my weight is fine - i shouldnt loose or gain anything just stay as i am. and there is those who say im fat and ugly. sadly the ones i tend to believe the most are the negative comments because its more what im used to hearing for so long.

#1 - Weight does not determine ugly or pretty. (You're NOT ugly, GG!!) You're certainly nowhere near the word "fat" either... that's just insane!!!!

#2 - Free refills "everywhere"!?!?! lol - everywhere I go they charge extra... what country is this?! It's a conspiracy!!!

#3 - I have never seen my ribs. ...but I don't think I'd want to, either. lol

I've never said you could stand to gain some wait GG, I love you just the way you are however when you're laying down in bed and you can see all your ribs and you poke your flat tummy and say 'fat' it annoys me! Most women would kill for a body like yours and most men would kill to be sleeping with one...

my legs are fat and i have a huge bum! - seriously, like i think my thighs are like tree trunks. i hate my legs ughhh

Or you're just paranoid. and you have a great ass, lol

FB: Take her to have her body fat percentage checked.. maybe that'd do the trick? I bet it's like 0.1 % lol

I don't know, she tends to think that having any fat at all is ugly... whereas most men think an anorexic woman is ugly... as well as a woman that's more muscular than he is, lol.

I don't know - I do the best to make her feel better about herself that I can... even if it seems pointless I still try, I know that I'm probably not good enough to 'cure' her, I've got realistic goals set though.

She says I do too much for her, I think that until she feels that she isn't the horrible ugly evil person she thinks she is, I'm not doing enough.

You can never do too much for the one you love. Period.

You're a good man, FB.

Thread Information