Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Immigration Lottery - Not a Joke

http://www.usgreencardlottery.org/

For those who don't know what an "Immigration Green Card Lottery" is.... The United States Government issues 50,000 permanent Green Cards every year through the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, the Green Card Lottery.
    Applicants are selected randomly by a computer generated drawing. If you are selected, you and your family will be authorized to live and work permanently in the United States.

Apply before December 30th 2004 and receive a FREE Airline Ticket to the United States.

BTW: this is NOT a joke.....

It's just MIND BOGGLING!

Oh...these are the countries who cannot participate....

CANADA
    - CHINA (mainland) - Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan are eligible
    - COLOMBIA
    - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
    - EL SALVADOR
    - GREAT BRITAIN (and its dependent territories) - Ireland and Northern Ireland are eligible
    - HAITI
    - INDIA
    - JAMAICA
    - MEXICO
    - PAKISTAN
    - PHILIPPINES
    - RUSSIAN FEDERATION
    - SOUTH KOREA
    - VIETNAM

Whats mind boggling about it? I'm pretty sure that lotteries of this sort are kind of common with the government. I know of school having lotteries in which they admit so many people, then for the last bunch of spots they have a lottery for people who meet some requirements but were not selected initially. I'm pretty sure that the draft in the seventies was lottery based.

edit: With the list of ineligible countries included it seems rather silly.

I find that really mind boggling! A lottery for immigrants to become permanent residents to a country?!? WOW! How absurd! I don't think we have anything like that in Canada. If we do, I don't know about it. WOW! Is there a reason why those countries can't apply? The answer is probably just as mind boggling anyhow. 8O
    Life is what you make of it. Make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by star_64
    I find that really mind boggling! A lottery for immigrants to become permanent residents to a country?!? WOW! How absurd! I don't think we have anything like that in Canada. If we do, I don't know about it. WOW! Is there a reason why those countries can't apply? The answer is probably just as mind boggling anyhow. 8O
    Canada just lets everyone in.
    And the list of countries is supposed to help bring people in to america that we don't have too many of. This is to bring diversity or something. (makes me wonder about irish being included)

I agree that Canada lets everybody in. too many! they're taking all of our jobs and leaving us canadians struggling to find good jobs. It's the price we pay for giving immigrants a better life.

I don't have a problem with immigration. The only problem I have with it is when they commit crimes and get sent to our prisons for us taxpayers to keep. I think that if immigrants get in trouble with the law (major trouble), they should be sent back to their country to never return.

I don't mind Canada's open door policy at all, after all, many of the people who migrated here have started multi-billion dollar corporations that keep Canadians employed. What I have a problem with is that we don't deport criminals from other countries and their punished less severely as well.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

By punished less severely you mean that they are free to roam around as free people?

What the heck did they put Mexico on the list for.... They all get here anyway ( well at least in Florida :? ) they might as well make it legal, noone ever gets deported

They have a lottery, and people that can win are countries that we don't get too many immigrants from every year. Mexico is one of our bigger sources of immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by dogula
    By punished less severely you mean that they are free to roam around as free people?
    Pretty much, young offenders are released to their parents more often than not. We also have a fair amount of criminal activity that is run by asian gangs, it's actually a bit scary in some areas.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Krystal's 23 yr old loser is an immigrant from jamaica. they should send him back to where he came from. he's in jail now for 1 year for armed robbery (a gun). can you believe that one?!? just one year then he gets to enjoy canada and do it all over again.

things like that peve me big time!

I didn't realize this guy was this level of rifraf.
    My Daughter Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke
    I didn't realize this guy was this level of rifraf.
    he's the lowest of lowest scumbag.

I'm sorry star, that sux bad.
    My Daughter Rules!

it does suck that erika has a deadbeat lowlife for a father. what doesn't suck though is that we have erika to love and raise properly.

I hope it all works out star, what a potentially volatile situation this is.
    My Daughter Rules!

I know duke. I'll cross that bridge when I have to in the future. For now, I think the best thing is to just go with the flow and concentrate on erika growing up happy and healthy and putting krystal on the right path again. That's more important to me at the present time.

Well I wish you all the best star. Your last while has been full of choices that many of us can't even imagine having to make. I think your doing a fantastic job of keeping it all together and I must admit that I look up to you because of it.
    My Daughter Rules!

Canada, as the US, has an open door polity....but as they pointed out after the elections....their process can take up to one year and there now has to be a reason for someone to immigrate there, along with prospects on earning a living. I totally agree with that.

The problem with the whole US lottery deal....is that:
    1. We already have an over taxed immigration department who is minimal in funding and assertiveness. We don't need 50,000 more each year which get in with little to no qualifications.

2. Due to the lottery....there are endless scams (seems to be hundreds online) who tell people they can help them 'win'....even though the legal process into this is free of charge.

3. How do you know this is even being run legally? People DO take bribes and such. You have no idea who is being let into the country.

4. Short of a couple of European countries which can still participate.....it leaves some really questionable countries who are part of the program to begin with.

I take GREAT issue with it. I find it to be ridiculous. I also find it odd that very few people I'm acquainted with politically knew anything about it.
    ---------------------------------------

Star....Too bad you can't get that AssClown DEPORTED!

One year for armed robbery with a gun, thats insane, thats 7-10 here.

I was watching the news last night (I was interested because they had a clip on karla homolka on there) and found out that there are immigration officers here in canada that were taking money to let illegal immigrants into the country. Makes you wonder who they're letting in here! It's scary actually.

Illegal immigration is such a problem there and here, it would be worse here if texas was liberal, luckily they have shoot on sight trespassing laws...but then again illegals are being gunned down.

I don't have a personal problem with the Mexican border. I figure if some guy is willing to risk his life to WORK to feed his family......he has earned my respect.

The Florida problem occured when they had the Cuban and Hessian explosions some time back. THEY weren't the problem as much as FLORIDA let it become a problem when everything went bi-lingual in south Florida. Where Stoneheather lives....you can't hardly get a job at MacDonald's unless you speak both languages.

I think they would've done the immigrants a better favor by forcing them to learn English so they aren't all stuck in one area of the US NOT knowing the languae of the rest of the country.

I don't know any Hessians....but I've known many Cuban's personally who were wonderful people. Very industrious and hard working.

The problem with illegals isnt that they exist, but that they work for less then minimum wage and create and underground labor force. i think more immigration should be legal, it would solve a lot of problems...and the bilingual thing is here too, everybody speaks spainish...i dont and it sucks, most of my friends do though.

Quote Originally Posted by Merika
    Hessians
    I've heard that the Baltic Sea and North Atlantic can be pretty choppy. Pretty far trip that those Germans have to take too.

Thread Information