Thread: Arguments

Arguments

Have you ever been in an argument that you couldn't/didn't win? What was that like for you? Do you generally argue until you think you won? Do you quit arguing when you see you have no chance of winning? Who wins in an argument anyway?

Re: Arguments

Sometimes I argue for the sake of it. And everyone knows, but sometimes my bizarre arguments actually work.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    Sometimes I argue for the sake of it. And everyone knows, but sometimes my bizarre arguments actually work.
    That's good then!

I wouldn't call it 'winning', but 'being right at the start of the argument'. As long as you both agree on something in the end, one was right to start with, and both 'win' since they agree in the end and share the same opinion at the end of the argument. So my goal isn't to 'win', but to get to an agreement.

If your goal is to be the sole winner, then your goal is disagreement. Nice if your goal is to start a war, but not good when dealing with friends, family and lovers.
    I prefer ending up agreeing while ignoring who was right from the start over 'winning' and proving the other is wrong. A good argument needs to ignore who was right at the start and should only be judged by the end result, with only winners. It's what turns argueing into fruitfull discussions
    NoTargeT (a.k.a. Shilka)

Sometimes you have to know when to agree to disagree. However if you are arguing to get something you want/need or to defend yourself or another- never back down if you know you are in the right and be willing to call in support if necessary.

me and keith rarely argued till my head got more and more messed up now i cause arguements without meaning too.

when we did argue tho, it'd be because we both felt very very strongly about something. it'd have to be a very strong feeling about i because we work everything else out. most times, in one of these arguments one or the oth of us would leave the conversation in a sulk or to shed a few tears or go for a drive, then we'd come back make our apologies and drop it. those kind of arguments we can never "win" because we'd both feel strongly about what we think, and there isnt a "right and wrong" its just opinions on something (ie gun laws)

but apologies made, we'd leave it and carry on as normal.

I used to have real doozies with my Nan, but by the end we were both seeing that each other had a valid point to some extent and met in the middle, and hugged and cried and all that.

Why do we even bother to argue? Does anyone ever really 'win' an argument? Why is it so important to try to win and argue until there is anger, frustration, tears and/or sulking? What a wasted effort, IMHO! We are all different, and wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same? Why can't we just have differences of opinion and leave it at that, and not waste precious time 'trying to win'? In the end, who cares? We still hold the same opinion as does the other person. We might learn something maybe about a different point of view, but that's about it.

What if someone told you you could not take your child to the church you wanted? Or had to take yourself to a church you don't agree with?

What if someone told you the Earth was flat?

What if someone told you it was OK to beat anyone that got in their way? (physically)

What if someone told you that you had to give every dime you made to the government?

What if someone told you that you have to wear purple every day for the rest of your life?

Some of those arguments seem silly and some seem obvious- but the fact is- they are all arguments you would probably participate in- and SOMEONE would win

Quote Originally Posted by Fayebelle View Post
    What if someone told you the Earth was flat?
    It is. Just look at the world map.

What if someone told you that you had to give every dime you made to the government?
    Is that not what every election is about?
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

I am the champion of avoiding fights. if I do get in a fight, it must be pretty bad.
    the universe is made out of stories, not atoms

I hate conflict and avoid it at all costs. But sometimes it's necessary to achieve change and when I do tackle things I usually get an outcome I can live with and wish I'd done it a lot sooner.

If anyone starts arguing as in shouting etc I try and get them to stop and if I can't I leave them to it.

Maybe I never lost my little girl instinct that "THAT'S NOT FAIR" is a worthy battle cry

I think sometimes you just have to let off steam. It isn't a matter of winning or losing just getting it off your chest before you do bodily harm to someone. I think that can be healthy to some extent. JMHO.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    Have you ever been in an argument that you couldn't/didn't win? What was that like for you? Do you generally argue until you think you won? Do you quit arguing when you see you have no chance of winning? Who wins in an argument anyway?

I never argue with my boss. I've decided to hell with that. Instead I just agree to everything no matter how ridiculous. Today, for example, he plans to begin at 8 AM a meeting into which people need to fly. Why? Could they Begin on Tuesday? No. Could they begin at 9 AM? No. WHY NOT???

Because Meetings begin on Monday at 8 AM.

I save all my aguing for my wife. But I no longer Argue About Everything; like the fact that she likes to close the blinds at sunset because its "dark," or because she will not open widows in the house because "it lets in air," or because she will not listen to music while I drive, or because she refuses to cook a meal including vegetables....ETC., ETC.

I'm just happy I have a job that allows me to escape for 3-4 days/week.

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    I've yet to meet anyone who's ever admitted to losing an argument on-line. Being on the internets means never having to say you're wrong, I guess.

PS: I always win, but I know I'm right.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post

I've yet to meet anyone who's ever admitted to losing an argument on-line. Being on the internets means never having to say you're wrong, I guess.

PS: I always win, but I know I'm right.

SO glad you're here, Patrick!

Thread Information