Gossip, Rumors, and Other Hurtful Things

How do you handle gossip when you hear it? Do you try and squelch it or walk away? Is Your Workplace a gossipy place? Do you know people who just love gossip and spread it at every turn?

--------------------------------------------------------

I DESPISE Gossip and Rumors! I either walk away or interject something nice about the person talked about if I'm in a place where I can't just walk away without seeming rude. I do think it's abusive, too!

Re: Gossip, Rumors, and Other Hurtful Things

My work place is a little Payton Place (a soap opera from a long time ago for those that don't know), especially the manufacturing building. I usually just ignore it. If I know the truth I try to let that be known. I know a couple people that love to gossip and I stay away from them as much as possible.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

It's the same in our Workplace; and I LOVE our Workplace except for that! I guess I'm just somewhat of a Pollyanna, I would just LOVE if people commented on someone's nice hair, eyes, clothes, or just smile or wave! Wouldn't that just be SO much nicer? I swear the atmosphere picks up the negative vibes, hangs over the place like a dark cloud, and you end up coming home drained, not from the Work but from the Negativity!

However, I do understand that there are SO many different personalities that hurt feelings or anger can occur. Why not then only have one trusted confidante that one can talk to and let it go at that? Why tell everybody and then that person tells another person, and another and another and so on and so on? I just don't get it...

Another thing I'm dead set against is someone spreading rumors about who is sleeping with who and that SEEMS to go around like Wildfire! Or using the term such and such a person is 'useless'! I don't think anyone is useless! One might not have a great work ethic or be too happy about their job, just proves one is either in the wrong job or hasn't found his/her passion yet.

we have a game in the uk called "chinese whispers" its a childs game. one person thinks of something to say and whispers it to the next person, that person whispers what they think they heard into the next persons ear and so on. your not allowed to repeat it, but only say it once. normally by the end of the circle and the last person tells the person who started it what they have heard its something very different to what was first said.

i find that rumors as they spread and different people hear the gossip, change, people over dramatize them, and exaggerate what they have heard.

my work place at the supermarket is full of people who gossip, its a nightmare you can trust someone to talk to because by the end of the night everyone knows and its normally completely wrong and over the top.

I'm usually the one being talked about. I try to tell them there's no need to talk about me behind my back, I will eventually tell on myself.

I have a big mouth and my life is somewhat of a Soap Opera at times. I try to remain friendless, especially at work. I figure if I give them something to talk about, it will take the heat off of their latest victim.

Most of the gossip gets told to me. LOL! It almost always has something to do with the boss and my relationship, at any job. Strange, eh?

I learned my lesson long ago, not to be friends with co-workers. The more gossip they tell me, I assume they will say something about me as well. I've even been evil enough to start a rumor about myself and hear it turned around.

Good co-workers are your friend at work, talk about the job and stay away from your personal life. I like it that way. There are very few people I have kept as friends after my contract expired at a certain location. I have had those friends for almost 15 years now.

I'm just use to the gossip. Everyone talks about someone behind their back, good or bad. It's par for the course of life.

The great thing about being in my office here in Toronto is that there isn't any gossip involving us. There is a lot of bad mouthing of the person I replaced, but she, well, was quite useless and I've seen first hand the damage she did as I am the one that had to clean it up. I'm still trying to figure out how much money we lost last year due to her incompetence. Right now it's up around $15,000.

I try to ignore work place gossip and avoid any work place politics but it drives me mad when the gossip is about me. I'll try to confront the person who it started from and tell them its got nothing to do with them and they should put a stop to it.

Gossips are just like any other weenie bully. Call them on it and they'll move on.

Quote Originally Posted by PepsiChic View Post
    we have a game in the uk called "chinese whispers" its a childs game. one person thinks of something to say and whispers it to the next person, that person whispers what they think they heard into the next persons ear and so on. your not allowed to repeat it, but only say it once. normally by the end of the circle and the last person tells the person who started it what they have heard its something very different to what was first said.

we called that purple monkey dishwasher.

We called it "Telephone"

original huh? LOL

I think whoever named it purple monkey dishwasher smoked too much peyote.

I thought I might bump this one up for those that have new insights or have not posted here.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    How do you handle gossip when you hear it? Do you try and squelch it or walk away? Is Your Workplace a gossipy place? Do you know people who just love gossip and spread it at every turn?

--------------------------------------------------------

I DESPISE Gossip and Rumors! I either walk away or interject something nice about the person talked about if I'm in a place where I can't just walk away without seeming rude. I do think it's abusive, too!
    -------------------------------------------------------

I read my original post and was amazed that I came off as sounded like a goody-goody. I'm pretty sure I posted this original topic when I had heard from someone that someone I really admired, loved, and respected had just torn me to shreds and totally betrayed my trust.

I'm not such a hard-a$$ now about this topic though I do work on not trying to hurt anyone. It seems to always come back to bite us on the backside when we do, actually expanded on with more of a slant to make it sound good.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Never been a gossip bunny... I don't even enjoy the E! celebrity show baloney. In fact I don't watch TV at all - though I have Netflix and there are a few shows I like.

As far as gossiping goes, particularly the malicious kind, I tend to think that the person starting it is usually desperately trying to distract people from themselves. Something they don't want anyone to see.

Normally faced with gossips, I just walk away. Hardly worth getting all up in arms over it for me. People will talk, I let them, they usually have a much more entertaining picture of my life than what is. Go for it, make me interesting.

Thread Information