Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Signs of God

Re: Signs of God

That's really cool Faye, if nothing else your posts are certainly an inspiration
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

thats just the cutest thing faye!

duke - i think you mean you want to believe but you want proof that your belief is giving you something back?

I'm not really looking for payback really, I just want to know that my faith is aimed in the proper direction and the proper bodies are benefiting from it. I'm an average guy and I don't feel like I have limitless resources of faith, trust or belief. I have my ups and my downs so just like anyone and time is wasted in negativity unfortunately.

I do many things in my life to bring in the positive such as father the best I can, do right with the people around me and run this place. This means that if God wants a portion of this time then God has to give me some tangible reason to believe.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

If it makes you feel any better, Duke - there is Scientific evidence that Jesus walked the Earth. Whether He was the Son of God or not isn't tangible yet, but that's where Faith comes in.

We can't see Love, but we know it exists. Same principle really. We do see Love and God in some ways. It's just whether or not someone accepts what they see as those.

@TKDLady: I agree. I think God could see a con-artist a mile away. If you Repent and then do it over and over again, I would say you're not really trying or have some sort of Mental Incapacity of stopping. Then again, if you did have a Medical reason not to stop and was truly remorseful, I think God would forgive you.

@PepsiChic/TKDLady: My episodes have been Religious based. The Psychologist told me not to do the same things I was doing. IE: Studying Religion.

@Fayebelle: I think your son's Faith is wonderful. I also think you're wonderful for walking a Spiritual Journey to seek the Truth.

well i hope that your faith see's you through the hard times.

sometimes i consider going to church and praying for forgiveness in the hope that it'll take away the illness. but i dont think that will happen, or i dont think i deserve it. so i dont go.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    That's awesome Faye.

Kinda makes me wonder though how much is faith in God due to influence of others rather than personal preference?

Exactly,

For example both my brothers went to a preschool named "first steps" in a christian church. I find that both of them have a very dirrect understanding about god, jesus etc.

God made Mary have a baby on Christmas named Jesus. Jesus died on the cross for us.

That's it, that's all they know.

MY youngest brother is 4 years old, he barely understands who God is, let alone have actually learned the little stories and what the other religons are...

I think that his preschool teachers definatly taught him there personal beliefs, and not anyone elses.

Of course that's not the teachers fault. What do the parents expect? Their kids are in a Christian school. Still I find it's very awkward when my brothers talk to me about god and jesus because they don't fully understand what they are saying yet.
    Remember you are unique...
    Just like everyone else...

<3 Love your friends, <3 Love your family, <3 Love your life...

I love Duke, Luba, Charbar, Aunty Honney and VachelVace!!! <3<3<3

In all fairness though- there isn't much that a 4 year old fully understands yet. They still think in rather concrete dimensions. They can count but not do algebra b/c abstract thought escapes them

IvyRose, I wasn't talking about people with mental disabilities. I just meant regular people doing wrong things over and over and then thinking they are forgiven once a week. God, if he exists, will be able to see the difference and will know who is ill and who is not.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Quote Originally Posted by TKDLady View Post
    ...I just meant regular people doing wrong things over and over and then thinking they are forgiven once a week...
    Sadly, the Believers I run into think this way.

@PepsiChic: You don't have to go to Church. You deserve to be forgiven. I'm sure we'll pray for you enough to be let into the Big Party in the Sky.

...and if I were Mormon, I would convert you after death and you'd still be let in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwoing View Post

I think that his preschool teachers definatly taught him there personal beliefs, and not anyone elses.

Of course that's not the teachers fault. What do the parents expect? Their kids are in a Christian school. Still I find it's very awkward when my brothers talk to me about god and jesus because they don't fully understand what they are saying yet.
    I think it is the teachers fault. Its not teaching, its indoctrination and social conditioning at that age. You could look at it like this, its giving kids a superstitious belief/fear before there old enough to comprehend what they are being told/sold.

I think in fairness they should also go to a Richard Dawkins seminar or watch one of his documentaries to balance it out.

i dont think religion should be taught to anyone at a young age, children are such easy things to impress something upon, and they never really get a chance to understand or learn properly nor figure out what they believe only what they are told to believe

and im not saying learning about religion is a bad think. should just be done at an age where they are able to understand what it really is.

my parents arent religious, nor are most of my intermediate family. they have let me make my own choices in my belief, at the age of 12 i choose to go to church and learn, at 15 i choose to stop. and now at the age of 21 ive chosen to sit back and udnerstand and learn but not neseccarily believe.

Everything is Everything

A few weeks back I was sitting in a Chinese Restaurant waiting for my take out order to be completed....

More...
    I tried to access this link Duke, but it seems to be gone.

Sorry about that. I updated the site to a newer version a while back and in doing so updated all my links to be more inline with the links the forum writes. It never even crossed my mind that all these links would no longer be valid

The full story can be found here: http://www.lifesupporters.com/family...080614198.html

EDIT: First post also updated.
    My Daughter Rules!

I loved your article Duke.

How about this.......God is Quantum Physics, Quantum Physics is God. Kinda depersonifies what the human race has wrongfully personified.....in my opinion.

Thanks LS, they say write what you know and since I know little I like to add that fact in my stories.

I just gotta spend more time publishing because I must have 20 or more articles in the queue that still need to be finished.
    My Daughter Rules!

I have to revisit this thread once in a while it seems. I know you are seeking answers Duke and I am certain that you know exactly how I feel about religion. (anyway..)

There are so many beliefs shared here and in other threads. What really has helped me the most is when I asked myself a simple question. When some one asked why not believe in God.... I had to ask myself, "which one?"

I know this does not help answer your specific questions or help assuage your doubt. But truly, which one, and why that one.....?

To me believing in god makes as much sense as believing in Fairies because they visit you the moment before you die and take your soul to a better place. What makes one religion better than another? One god better than another? Which one deserves my faith? The answer seems simple and complex because we all have a desire to believe. We were told and our whole society is filled with "you're going to hell" type comments for a thousand offenses; it is even used in jest.

Unlearn what you have learned and try to find your own answers without influence from others.

Trust me IR, I've thought the same at one point or another so no worries. In my case though, I believe each and every God has their image somewhat perverted/distorted by man. To me its not so much about picking a particular God, its about picking a Religion with a belief and value system that I can believe in.

Even still however I'm sure no matter what I do my personality will make its way in there somewhere and I'll believe what I believe when and if I believe it. I will never bow to someones ideals on anything unless I can either prove or disprove them beyond the shadow of doubt in my own mind.

I'm not a follower so the chances of me becoming a Lemming and diving blindly off some cliff into the ocean are extremely slim.

The more I've thought about this topic however (and I've thought about it a lot), I don't believe that God is truly the focus of Religion (or at least it shouldn't be); faith is, and like many things in life faith is a choice. Maybe my ultimate journey here is finding faith because I do know I've had little of it over the years? Maybe my reach toward Religion is my subconscience reaching out from beyond the negativity I find myself wallowing in now and then that is at the forefront of my thoughts.

Perhaps the best way to put it is I'm an optimistic pessimist. While I remain positive on many issues, there is always an underlying current of doubt that may only serve to deflate any chances of a positive outcome. Embracing faith may be my only savior when it comes to squashing this destructive mindset, I don't know, but at least after 40 years or so I'm asking some questions.
    My Daughter Rules!

I don't believe that God is truly the focus of Religion (or at least it shouldn't be); faith is, and like many things in life faith is a choice. Maybe my ultimate journey here is finding faith because I do know I've had little of it over the years? Maybe my reach toward Religion is my subconscience reaching out from beyond the negativity I find myself wallowing in now and then that is at the forefront of my thoughts.

Perhaps the best way to put it is I'm an optimistic pessimist. While I remain positive on many issues, there is always an underlying current of doubt that may only serve to deflate any chances of a positive outcome. Embracing faith may be my only savior when it comes to squashing this destructive mindset, I don't know, but at least after 40 years or so I'm asking some questions.
    I think it's great that you are asking the difficult questions and would encourage you to continue asking. That's more likely to lead to greater understanding, in my view, than settling for what appears to be a convenient answer but which you find is ultimately unfullfilling as it doesn't feel right or doesn't provide the answers you seek.

I am not religious and don't have much in common with people who practice it in such a way as to be close minded, to exercise power or to denigrate the humanity of others.

At the same time, I probably have more in common with someone who is open minded and religious than I do with people who live a life devoid of meaning, which seems to be an increasing problem in our world.

For many, deep relationships within families will provide meaning, but others never find this, or become adrift from it as they age, or they are inquisitive enough about the world to need more.

I believe that the human condition is only meaningful in the expression of care for another/others. My work, increasingly, is teaching me that people who suffer, who realise the fragility of life, are able to thrive as people, despite the damage, by accessing a dimension where their spirit remains untouched. They are able to do this through the expression of compassion. I've read accounts of torture victims which report this phenomenon too. The essence of a persons humanity is the power they possess to energise, heal and protect themselves and others through the expression of love. Once you realise this, you can apply it to any human situation - your own life and care of self, family, relationships, community, (flock, if you are religious).

This site's purpose is to provide compassion to those who need it, whose humanity is being compromised through their life experience. I wonder whether it's whetted your appetite for a life more meaningful, Duke If it has, then you're a convert already. Go with the flow - it's a great ride

I am a believer, a believer that Jesus was the son of God and that he died on the cross so that I may be forgiven. This is not a hard for me to believe in. I've been blessed to have felt the presence of God in my life. What is hard for me, is faith. I have trouble keeping my faith that God has a plan for my life (especially with what's going on in my life right now). However, I don't know how I would be able to deal with life's big problems without it. Being able to trust that God is with me and that he's in control, gives a sense of peace like nothing else.

Religion can be overwhelming, so many different views and perspectives. Weather you believe in God or not, I feel that everyone should know the answer to the most basic religious question: How do I get into Heaven? Anyone know the answer?

Article updated as it read like stereo instructions:

Signs of God

Quote Originally Posted by Ecliptic View Post
    How do I get into Heaven? Anyone know the answer?
    We had a member here years ago who said that no matter how good you are in life, it is no guarantee that you will be embraced by God and go the Heaven.

Whether or not this is true I have no idea but its up there with one of the most religiously destructive phrases I've ever heard. The way I see it, being good in life should mean peace in death; if not then what is the point in even trying to make a difference in life?
    My Daughter Rules!

It isn't something to understand, it is plainly just to accept. We must have in our possession the KEY to get into our home. Well the KEY for getting into heaven in having
    into getting into heaven is Jesus, no matter how we live. When we have the KEY we will live with the authority of knowing we have it (Him-Jesus) we will live differently. Jesus said it plainly. "I am the way the truth and the life, no one may enter in without me." I hope that it is simple enough to understand. -blessings, Joy

I do understand what you're saying Joy but unfortunately I'm not the type of person to just accept anything. I'm accepting of tangible things that I can touch, feel, taste, see but less accepting to things relying on faith.
    My Daughter Rules!

I just thought I'd update this thread as I approved a few really great and inspirational comments posted beneath the main article.

Check them out if you get the chance:

http://www.lifesupporters.com/family...080614198.html
    My Daughter Rules!

Thread Information