Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Extension of Term

There are oppositions regarding the extension of the term of the members of regional mobility authority. These are all related to the assumptions of corruption that can make the authority more in the corrupt businesses. These are the oppositions that see the perspective of being into more corruptions led by these members.

It is true that their job needs longer term, however the longer term can make the society insecur4ed too. The members, who are opposing this proposal, are against <---Link Drop Removed---> David Disiere and says that a six-year term of office may decrease the accountability of the persons appointed to the board of directors of a regional mobility authority.

There is a regular pressure over the people and the representative of society in making these members work in accordance to the preconceived law. Under the recent law the term is just two years. The members opposing this term says that s two-year term of office requires more frequent assessments and thus makes the work function more effectively.

It is directly effecting the position of the board members’ job performances to the social set up. In order to get into the chair and power they will perform in their best possible way and will not create any kind of corrupt atmosphere. As opposed to this a six year term can result in a very dangerous way towards the upbringing of big chains of corruption.

Six-year terms for regional mobility authority board members are not necessary to carry out. They can perform well enough in just two years. Two-years are adequate enough for the functions of the authority. The staff or employees of an authority will carry out those functions regardless of the length of directors’ terms
    Last edited by Vautrin; 08-02-2008 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Link Drop Removed

Re: Extension of Term

Please observe our rules when it comes to offsite linking as a New Member.

There is plenty of information contained in our FAQ outlining our Forum Policy and even a section specially dedicated to New Members; some of which only register here with the intent to spam our forums with blatant self promotion. Since we cannot determine who's legitimate and who's just here to abuse our sites integrity all New Members must be treated equally.

Since you're a New Member here and it's not 110% clear if your just here to market yourself, you're being given the benefit of the doubt and are only receiving a warning for offsite linking as a New Member. I urge you to please check the links provided above and adhere to our common sense forum principles.

Should you have any questions, comments or concerns, feel free to post them in our "Suggestion Box" Forum.

Thanks,

Ken (aka Duke)
    Lifesupporters.com Network Founder
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Now here I thought this was about G doubya trying to extend his last term as president as he hasn't quite taken over the world yet hah.

Duke can you rework the OP to give a bit of paragraph division? It's all blurring for me and it looks interesting

I inserted some paragraphs, but I am not going to bother to make sense of the grammar.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

This post was locked in our moderating queue for a while now which I finally got to cleaning out today and editing the spam.

Thanks for editing it Vautrin.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Well in America- I fully support allowing the Presidents to run for more than 2 elections. I think the current system allows them to spend their first term adjusting what the last President did and the next term starting changes that their successor will spend a term undoing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayebelle View Post
    Well in America- I fully support allowing the Presidents to run for more than 2 elections. I think the current system allows them to spend their first term adjusting what the last President did and the next term starting changes that their successor will spend a term undoing.
    But don't forget the downside.

Being ruled by G.W. Bush for 20 years might be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. But the same could have happened with Clinton; and then you might be glad or lamenting the fact.

And it is not only the Prez. that is responsible for making laws.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

It is only the Prez that has a limit on terms though.

They can't "rule" unless they are voted in.

It is only the Prez that has a limit on terms though.

They can't "rule" unless they are voted in.
    I thought US Representatives have a term limit....jeez....good thing we spend 12 years in school to be effective members of a "democracy."

Am I seriously that damaged this evening? I didn't realize there was a limit on the times you could serve in Congress....

Sheesh I'm feeling perdy silly right now......

The reason I use the term "rule" is because the US President, much like the French President has a lot of executive powers. These powers of course are lacking (because of the functions of these people) in Representatives and Senators.

All of which have to face reelection. If memory serves every 2 year a third of Congress is up for reelection.

I am not too confident that any election in the world is actually democratic. Call me a pessimist or whatnot, but that is the way I see it. Too much money, too many vested interests involved. Add in some powerful effects of media manipulation, lies in the runup to the election, not to mention selective campaigning. We can pretend that problems are insoluble (such as the traffic congestion one), but refuse to address the underlying causes in the name of liberty.

Our Dutch dolt, swears by "norms and values", but he refuses to condemn outright breaches of corrupt behavior, but he is more than happy to condemn minorities for much smaller infringement on the holy "norms and values". And we have had quite a few scandals in the past few years, in which our government was screwed and is being screwed for hundreds of millions, if not billions of euros.

Our "social democrat" party has just about betrayed every promise they made to the people, just to get into government. It appears though, they will be annihilated in the next election. Sadly what replaces them is just their insanity revved up by another notch.

Am I seriously that damaged this evening? I didn't realize there was a limit on the times you could serve in Congress....

Sheesh I'm feeling perdy silly right now......
    That's OK Fayebe......I'm still not sure if US Senators have term limits.

He has been a Senator for 43 years now?

If there is a limit, it is because:
    a) minimum age requirement (is it not 30 years of age, for the Senate?)
    b) requirement to be alive.

I was referring to limits on how many times they can run for office. Kennedy has won his seat many times.

There is a minimum age limit on all branches and of course death would put the end to any reign

They can be kicked out- though that is rare.

I honestly had no clue that Congress had a set limit of times they could run.

I did a quick Google last night but still haven't seen what that limit would be.

From wikipedia (I know it is not the most reliable source, but still)
    :
    "The constitution states that members of the United States House of Representatives must be at least 25 years old, a citizen of the United States for at least seven years, and be a (legal) inhabitant of the state they represent. Senators must be at least 30 years old, a citizen of the United States for at least nine years, and be a (legal) inhabitant of the state they represent. The President must be at least 35 years old, a natural born citizen of the United States and a resident in the United States for at least fourteen years. It is the responsibility of state legislatures to regulate the qualifications for a candidate appearing on a ballot paper. "Getting on the ballot" is based on candidate's performances in previous elections."

( Elections in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

I can't find any limits, and as Kennedy must have run at least 7 times to keep his seat for 43 years, I doubt there is any. Dingell has served in the House of Representatives for 50 years (I admit, I had to google, but still), so I doubt there is a limit to the number of terms.

Just to add: I thought the President was limited to being elected twice in office by an amendment that was created after the FD Roosevelt presidency? He died while in office, on his 4th term.

^ You are correct and that is my point.

If a President is doing a good job according to the people- why should they be forced to choose another?

Because, unlike countries where Presidency is a ceremonial function (Germany, Italy, Israel) a lot of executive powers. Where the President a ceremonial function then it really does not matter too much.

As far as I can determine about 50% of the Americans did not bother to vote in the last Presidential elections. Now you can argue that that may have to do with the way the Electoral college works, but that in itself would be a criticism of the way democracy works in the US. I would be very careful making claims that any President has done a good job when turnout is low.

What would the Vietnam veterans get for voting either party? Not a damn thing, so that is why such a group may at large not bother voting.

Because media houses are big players in distorting and presenting "facts" for public scrutiny; case in point: the document MI5 presented that was the ultimate proof Saddam was involved in production of WMD. The problem with that report was, is that it was almost literally copied from a degree thesis from 1993 or so.

If you did not know the latter, then you would get, on the basis of the media coverage up until that point, the impression that that piece of evidence was actually credible. You see it also reflected in stances on say "Liberal media" and "Fox news"; credibility becomes more and more associated with the source of the news, rather than the facts, because the sources hardly are impartial these days.

How much dirt has been dug up, since various Presidents left office? Quite a bit, sadly, and only because they left office.

The same holds true for any political office though- all the way down to the local level.

I oppose the Bi-Partisan mentality of America and I SERIOUSLY oppose a media/corporate run government. Until there are more options the latter will continue to fight for the former.

Low voter turnout is the biggest cop out that citizens use. They think they can bitch moan and complain provided they take no responsibility for the results they are bickering about.

American citizens are so complacent it makes my heart hurt. I have NO CLUE what it will take to wake them up and I'm afraid to find out.

Low voter turnout is the biggest cop out that citizens use. They think they can bitch moan and complain provided they take no responsibility for the results they are bickering about.
    Actually it is also caused by the system. With political parties redefining districts for Representative elections, so that a lot of these areas are practically uncontested (the other party does not have a real chance of winning). Because of the winner takes all problem, a lot of states (or districts) don't really count.

That is a bit more severe in 2-party systems than in multi-party representative systems, but even there it exists. If none of the political parties represent your views, then what can you vote for? I'd gave the hypothetical example of the Vietnam vets. In a winner takes all setup, even getting 20% of popular support does not make much difference, sadly.

All these flaws in the democratic system do not contribute to decreasing voter apathy. In fact, if you ask any number of people 20 factual questions on where McCain and Obama stand on various issues, then you should not be surprised that a tiny minority is actually well-informed.

Or issues are raised in speeches, that apply to a few states only (Florida with retirement issues; I'd imagine far fewer people decide to retire and move to say Alaska), in Presidential elections; where actually the issues should be raised for State based elections.

American citizens are so complacent it makes my heart hurt. I have NO CLUE what it will take to wake them up and I'm afraid to find out.
    It is a problem in all Western countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post

Actually it is also caused by the system. With political parties redefining districts for Representative elections, so that a lot of these areas are practically uncontested (the other party does not have a real chance of winning). Because of the winner takes all problem, a lot of states (or districts) don't really count.
    If people have a problem with the system- THEY should try to fix it. Again I don't buy the "my vote doesn't count so OH WELL" mindframe. That's what got us into this mess to begin with.

That is a bit more severe in 2-party systems than in multi-party representative systems, but even there it exists. If none of the political parties represent your views, then what can you vote for? I'd gave the hypothetical example of the Vietnam vets. In a winner takes all setup, even getting 20% of popular support does not make much difference, sadly.
    Agreed- but every bit helps for the NEXT election. Let the parties no you are not happy with their choices.

All these flaws in the democratic system do not contribute to decreasing voter apathy. In fact, if you ask any number of people 20 factual questions on where McCain and Obama stand on various issues, then you should not be surprised that a tiny minority is actually well-informed.
    It is up to the voter to learn about the candidates- again we are discussing a lazy society.

Or issues are raised in speeches, that apply to a few states only (Florida with retirement issues; I'd imagine far fewer people decide to retire and move to say Alaska), in Presidential elections; where actually the issues should be raised for State based elections.
    And with the internet there is no excuse for this. You can find out what was said anywhere- visit official party and candidate sites- check voting records- etc.....

It is a problem in all Western countries.
    Again I agree and that multiplies the problem as we are becoming more and more global every day.

If people have a problem with the system- THEY should try to fix it. Again I don't buy the "my vote doesn't count so OH WELL" mindframe. That's what got us into this mess to begin with.
    Yes, but as noted before, you need a large majority to actually make changes. And the current Democratic / Republican setup will do anything in its power to ensure that they can keep monopolizing the system.

It is up to the voter to learn about the candidates- again we are discussing a lazy society.
    To an extent that is true, to an extent you have to weed through all the media spin.

And with the internet there is no excuse for this. You can find out what was said anywhere- visit official party and candidate sites
    Which are bound to leave out all the screw-ups. And distort the facts; Hillary Clinton should have checked her voting records, before she even considered running for President - that alone would have ensured that she would have made the sane decision not to run. You need to check 3 or 4 websites to get a clue.

Add to that, that everyday life is hardly without tons of challenges (husband / wife; kids; work; sleep, and then time is becoming increasingly scarce. Also the "easy" accessibility to facts, also ensures easy accessibility to distorted facts. Which in the end, negates the positive effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    Yes, but as noted before, you need a large majority to actually make changes. And the current Democratic / Republican setup will do anything in its power to ensure that they can keep monopolizing the system.

If the majority of NON voters started speaking up- it would be a start

To an extent that is true, to an extent you have to weed through all the media spin.
    Again personal responsibility. And WHY WHY WHY do we allow the media all of this spin freedom?!?! Because people are too damn lazy to call them on it!

Which are bound to leave out all the screw-ups. And distort the facts; Hillary Clinton should have checked her voting records, before she even considered running for President - that alone would have ensured that she would have made the sane decision not to run. You need to check 3 or 4 websites to get a clue.

Add to that, that everyday life is hardly without tons of challenges (husband / wife; kids; work; sleep, and then time is becoming increasingly scarce. Also the "easy" accessibility to facts, also ensures easy accessibility to distorted facts. Which in the end, negates the positive effects.
    To a degree you are correct but public record is an invaluable resource. Flip floppers should be recognized for what they are. This is my biggest problem with McCain- his words and his record do not match.

Which is a good excuse for not having all the information but just doesn't cut it for me as an excuse to ignore all the resources b/c you don't have time to check everything everyday.

People just take what is fed to them- say I don't like it- and bury their heads in the sand.

There are many steps along the way where they could TRY to make a difference.

Freedom of speech is used by so many companies and governments in our country but rarely by individuals. DAMN SHAME!

Thread Information