Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Boycott Beijing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am copy pasting a few posts I've had for other forums. I believe strongly that supporting the 2008 Olympics is the same as standing up in support of crimes against humanity.

The link between sport and peace is very old indeed. The first Olympic Games for which written records exist took place in Ancient Greece in 776 BC. It's very likely, however, that the Games in Olympia are even older than this, with many people believing that they date back to the 2nd millennium BC.

According to the records, a race over the stadium's distance (192.27 metres) used to take place. The winner of the race was allowed to light the fire in the altar. The Games were held in regular periods, usually every four years. The period between two Games is called the Olympiad.

It was forbidden to enter the sacred City of Olympia with weapons. A truce called "Olympic Peace" was held during the month in which the Games were held to allow the athletes and spectators to travel to the Games in peace.

http://www.dadalos.org/frieden_int/g..._5/olympia.htm

There has always been issues with participating countries following the standards set forth by tradition. We have seen violence continue during the games and in fact AT the games.

This year however-

A New Wave of Repression Justified by the Olympics

While a wide majority of International Olympic Committee (IOC) members were voting, on July 13, 2001, to attribute the 2008 Summer Olympics to Beijing, Chinese police received an order to step up their executions of delinquents and intensify repression against "subversive Internet users". The IOC members president, Juan Antonio Samaranch, who personally supported China’s bid, paid no attention to the repeated calls against the Beijing bid.

Internet Users, Tibetans and Falungong Members Repressed

Chinese authorities, satisfied by this decision, reinforced repression against Internet users, Tibetans, members of the Falungong spiritual movement, foreign scholars, the Muslim Uigur minority, democrats, foreign journalists and delinquents, all "in the name of the Chinese Olympics". Vice-Prime minister Li Lanqing stated, four days after the IOC’s vote, that "China’s Olympic victory" should incite the country to preserve its "healthy life", especially by fighting against the Falungong movement which "foments insecurity". It should be reminded that at least 100 Falungong followers have died in detention since the movement was banned, and at least 10,000 others are in Chinese jails. On July 19, Hu Jintao stated that after Beijing’s "triumph", it was "essential to fight strongly against separatist activities orchestrated by the Dalai Lama and anti-Chinese forces around the world".

At least 50 cyber dissidents arrested

In July also, former President Jiang Zemin defended the idea of a "healthy" Chinese Internet. In concrete terms, 50 cyber-dissidents are in jail, and more than 8,000 Internet cafés have been closed ; dozens of web sites and forums were censored in July. In western China, authorities in Xinjiang province, where the country’s Muslim minority lives, sentenced four Uigurs accused of "separatism" to death, Meanwhile, two German journalists, who were investigating a case of contaminated blood in Henan province, were arrested and accused of "working illegally". Finally, police and judicial authorities received orders to continue the "Strike Hard" campaign against delinquency. Between 3,000 and 4,000 Chinese have already been executed this year, either shot in the neck or by lethal injection, and this is often done in public, in stadiums.

Balance of Power

The idea that granting China the Olympics would incite the Chinese authorities to improve human rights has been swept away by recent events. We can look forward to seven years of repression, especially against Tibetans and Uigurs, and all those considered to be "subversive elements". The IOC has, in fact, invested the Chinese regime with a task it will carry out zealously : host safe Olympics. This means arrests of dissidents, social "cleansing", and censorship against "critical" elements, especially journalists.

Unfortunately, the reactions from democratic governments - "we hope the Olympics will lead to improvements in human rights" - have no effect on the Chinese regime. History has shown that totalitarian regimes are more sensitive to a balance of power than to "constructive dialogue". Strong campaigns seem the only strategy to force Chinese authorities to respect human rights before 2008. The Olympic movement was discredited in 1936, when it allowed the Nazis to make the Games a spectacle to glorify the Third Reich. In 1980, in Moscow, the IOC suffered a terrible defeat when more than 50 countries boycotted the Olympics. The Netherlands, Germany, the United States, Egypt and so many others refused to countenance the Soviet regime. In 2008, the international sporting movement must refuse to tolerate to cover up the crimes of the Chinese dictatorship.

Anyone w/a myspace page should add this guy as a friend MySpace.com - Boycott Beijing 2008 - 22 - Female - Paris, Ile-de-France - www.myspace.com/boycottbeijing2008

I know this is a "long quote" posting but as people that truly support the internet (and therefore represent people that support the exchange of knowledge including crimes of a nation) - we should be outraged that this country will be the host of a tradition of peace. A tradition of humanity. A tradition of fair play.

Anyone who feels impotent when viewing crimes against humanity. Anyone who wonders "what can I do". Anyone looking for an easy way to say "I will not tolerate oppression of people"

Here is your chance. Watch anything BUT the Olympics this summer. Refuse to buy anything with the Olympics logo. Turn the station during reports of the games. Write to your newspapers. Write to the Olympic committee and tell them of your disgust.

This is an event with WORLD focus. It is not a matter of government. It is a a matter of the people. Tell the world that we the people of the United States of America and all other members of the World Wide Internet Community REFUSE to support an oppressive dictatorship and their crimes against humanity.

For more information you can visit these sites

Beijing Wide Open
    http://www.ourpledge/org/olympics
    http://www.freetibet.org/campaigns/olympics/index.html
    Beijing 2008: Race For Tibet!
    OMCT - World Organisation Against Torture - Global network fighting against torture and other humans rights violations
    MiaFarrow.org: Genocide Olympics
    OLYMPIC WATCH: Human Rights in China and Beijing 2008
    AIUK : Human Rights for China
    BoycottBeijing.EU - Home
    Home | Human Rights Watch
    Reporters sans frontières - Beijing 2008
    Truth About China
    boycott made in china

And for anyone who has been living under a rock and has no idea about the situation in Tibet- a simple Google search on Free Tibet will give you a wealth of information. Unless you live under Chinese rule of course. In that case your internet is filtered and you will have no access to such information.

Thanks to all who took time to read my super long post. I don't write them often so I hope you can see how important this is to me

More recently-

Because we know the CHINESE GOVERNMENT can't possibly falsify documents

Officials with the International Gymnastics Federation said that questions about He’s age had been raised by Chinese news media reports, USA Gymnastics and fans of the sport, but that Chinese authorities presented passport information to show that He is 16.

Online records listing Chinese gymnasts and their ages that were posted on official Web sites in China, along with ages given in the official Chinese news media, however, seem to contradict the passport information, indicating that He and Jiang may be as young as 14 — two years below the Olympic limit.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/sp...7gymnasts.html

The IOC refuses to investigate further

The International Olympic Committee said on Saturday it will not look into a possible age limit violation of Chinese gymnast He Kexin.
    Bangkok Post : SPORTS PLUS

Let's not forget the health issues facing Olympians

Speaking a year to the day before the start of the 2008 Games, the president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) said: "It is an option.

"Sports with short durations would not be a problem, but endurance sports like cycling are examples of competitions that might be postponed or delayed."
    BBC SPORT | Pollution risk for Olympic events

Can somebody tell me WHY the Olympic Games are still full steam ahead for Beijing?!?!

Re: Boycott Beijing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not a big sports fan, Olympics included. I was surprised they were being held in a communist country.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

It completely undermines the "Olympic Dream"

BURNS. ME. UP.

Red face Re: Boycott Beijing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheesh- I just scrolled through the thread and realized how long it is to read- sorry everyone and thanks TKDLady for taking the time to read it

I'll Boycott Beijing...(like, I ever planned to visit).

boycoot what? not watch them? NBC broadcasts in the US, and GE isnt a chinese company. I bet everybody here owns a ton of stuff made in china, so unless your gonna get rid of all that stuff, there really isnt anything your boycotting, not watching doesnt affect how much money NBC makes, all their ad buys have been sold months ago.

If you click the provided links- you will see the CORPORATE sponsors of the Olympics- those that give $ to the games. No $ to the sponsors lets them know the public will not tolerate just any old host.

No I will not be watching either b/c those SAME sponsors will be jamming the air with expensive commercials during those times.

Boycotting the purchase of new items does not mean going through and tossing all of your old stuff.

Being too lazy to read labels and see where your goods come from is hardly an acceptable cop out for being a responsible human IMHO

Heaven forbid we support other countries (including our own) by purchasing items made anywhere other than China.

so you will never buy from those sponsors ever again? cause it might be a big deal now, but in 6 months, most people wont care anymore, the olympics will be over, and life will go back to normal, the population as a whole has a short memory, it wont matter after the games, and people will want their cheap stuff from china. i doubt many people will boycott, heck ill say this years olympics will set new viewership records.

Well, they were held in Moscow in 1984.

They were held in St. Louis in 1904. Los Angeles 1932.

I am not picking the American Olympics for nothing. If you believe(d) at the time of these Olympics segregation and Jim Crow legislation was a problem, then you could have made the same argument about the Olympics in 1904, and 1932.

The same with Amsterdam 1928. The Dutch sure knew how to repress the people of Indonesia. Same with Paris (1900, 1924), London (1908, 1948). And then of course, Berlin 1936.

In the modern era, a similar stance could have been adopted to South Korea, a country which since independence has been a dictatorship for longer than an actual democracy. And something similar applies to the Winter Games of Sarajevo (1984).

Quite a few of the Olympic games have been held in dubious countries, judging by their exported standard of civilization, or even internal civilization. Socchi (Winter Olympics 2014) will be not too different from Beijing 2008.

That is a criticism that cannot be aimed at the pre-1976 Olympics (when sponsorship came in, professionals coming in), and thus the criticism of the games before then, should be taken with a pinch of salt. Unjust repression is bad, but there was no media circus pretending all was well (they did not need the Olympics for that), nor any company profiting substantially from the sponsorship deals. And people surely were not bombarded with all the sponsorship and events in say 1932.

The games are not about the sports. The games are about the associated sponsors. And sometimes about whether or not political repression is justified (1936), or expressions of politics should be banned (1968). But as a corollary, expressions that are permitted are also political in nature. Just look at the athlete selection in the history of many East Bloc countries before the collapse of the Wall. Party credentials were more or less required before one could compete.

I think elections in Burma are actually more democratic than the whole of the IOC.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
    so you will never buy from those sponsors ever again? cause it might be a big deal now, but in 6 months, most people wont care anymore, the olympics will be over, and life will go back to normal, the population as a whole has a short memory, it wont matter after the games, and people will want their cheap stuff from china. i doubt many people will boycott, heck ill say this years olympics will set new viewership records.
    The idea is to let sponsors know that people have a problem by boycotting DURING the Olympics- letting their $ drop during that time is the only way to send a mass communication that this will not be tolerated.

The "oh well my voice will never be heard- let someone else fix it" mentality in our country appalls me and I think you've done an EXCELLENT job of vocalizing the opinions of the masses.

If you want to say- OH WELL- NO POINT IN ME STANDING UP BECAUSE NOBODY ELSE WILL- then that's your choice.

Myself- I try to do what is right even when it may not be easy or popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    In the modern era, a similar stance could have been adopted to South Korea, a country which since independence has been a dictatorship for longer than an actual democracy. And something similar applies to the Winter Games of Sarajevo (1984).

Agreed- unfortunately I was 5 and had no idea at that time

Quite a few of the Olympic games have been held in dubious countries, judging by their exported standard of civilization, or even internal civilization. Socchi (Winter Olympics 2014) will be not too different from Beijing 2008.
    Which is why we have to start setting the standard NOW!

I truly feel for the athletes that have to suffer but hopefully more of them will start refusing to participate in host countries that do not respect the life of humans as a whole

That is a criticism that cannot be aimed at the pre-1976 Olympics (when sponsorship came in, professionals coming in), and thus the criticism of the games before then, should be taken with a pinch of salt. Unjust repression is bad, but there was no media circus pretending all was well (they did not need the Olympics for that), nor any company profiting substantially from the sponsorship deals. And people surely were not bombarded with all the sponsorship and events in say 1932.

The media is guilty of many evils - it is time the people started creating news ourselves- news that when reported will help balance the paid "news" we see so often.

The games are not about the sports. The games are about the associated sponsors. And sometimes about whether or not political repression is justified (1936), or expressions of politics should be banned (1968). But as a corollary, expressions that are permitted are also political in nature. Just look at the athlete selection in the history of many East Bloc countries before the collapse of the Wall. Party credentials were more or less required before one could compete.

I think elections in Burma are actually more democratic than the whole of the IOC.

Very true and completely unacceptable. I think the time is NOW to return to the TRUE Olympic Tradition. Let the hosts realize the HONOR of holding the games and the responsibility that comes with rising profits.

Let the sponsors know they can't just paste on the Olympic logo and wash their hands of all responsibility.

Just to be clear, I am not a fan of the Olympics in its current format. Will not be watching, and will not be knowing who the sponsors are, unless I read all the links you posted.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Yay for Vautrin!!!!

In the US it's pretty hard to miss the sponsors- McDonald's and Coca Cola display the Olympic logo larger than their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayebelle View Post
    Myself- I try to do what is right even when it may not be easy or popular.

Queen Fayebe is nothing if not Self Righteous.

Frankly I have to agree with DA here: Whether or not I watch ANY of the Olymipics will have nothing to do with WHERE they are being held, or the political convictions of that country. Whether or not I buy ANYTHING has nothing to do with WHERE it was made, but HOW it was made: Durable and inexpensive.

THAT attitude is exactly what allows these atrocities to continue. (BTW- durable and inexpensive Chinese toys have also led to MASSIVE recalls due to lead paint- GREAT INVESTMENT THERE!)

New Update

The Chinese authorities have broken their promise to improve the country’s human rights situation and betrayed the core values of the Olympics, according to a new Amnesty International report.

Chinese authorities’ broken promises threaten Olympic legacy | Amnesty International

THAT attitude is exactly what allows these atrocities to continue.
    Same goes for outsourcing.

This is true. Outsourcing COULD work if people were willing to step up to management positions but that would only stand for a short term (when experience has already been achieved)

In the future it would require education and there is no guarantee that people would go for that- if they were willing and able to educate themselves up the corporate ladder there would be no entry level- no education needed- jobs to worry about.

THAT attitude is exactly what allows these atrocities to continue. (BTW- durable and inexpensive Chinese toys have also led to MASSIVE recalls due to lead paint- GREAT INVESTMENT THERE!)
    "Atrocities?"

As far as I'm concerned, China is a developing nation, and as far as committing atrocities as a developing nation is concerned, the USA is not in any position to lecture the Chinese.

We do not lock up, torture, or kill media, religious figures, etc.. for having opposing views. We do not fund genocides in other countries.

Sorry if you can not see these acts as Atrocities.

We do not lock up, torture, or kill media, religious figures, etc.. for having opposing views. We do not fund genocides in other countries.

Sorry if you can not see these acts as Atrocities.

The US has done all this also: Ask a Native American. Ask A Mormon. As an African American.

Sure we have evolved, but it wasn't because anyone Boycotted US Olympic Games.

No it was because the citizens spoke up. That is the LUXURY of living in a Democratic country.

The Chinese have no such luxury.

Historical mistakes are not to be ignored. They are to be learned from. If we can not learn from our own mistakes and attempt to help others- than have we really come so far?

No it was because the citizens spoke up. That is the LUXURY of living in a Democratic country.

The Chinese have no such luxury.

Historical mistakes are not to be ignored. They are to be learned from. If we can not learn from our own mistakes and attempt to help others- than have we really come so far?
    What makes you so sure the Chinese People WANT your "help?"

Besides, shouldn't we be helping OURSELVES?

Didn't we create the UN so that "historical mistakes are not to be ignored?"

We'll never know until they are given a voice now will we?

Absolutely. Why is it not possible to help more than one group at a time?

The UN is a POS joke.

We'll never know until they are given a voice now will we?

Absolutely. Why is it not possible to help more than one group at a time?

The UN is a POS joke.
    "given a voice?"

Why don't you just go over to Bejing and take a random survey of 1000 Chinese? Or, are you proposing we need to ASK EACH AND EVERY 1.4 Billion Chinese?

It is possible to help more than One Group at a Time. But Help ME first.

Why on EARTH do you believe the Mighty UN is a Joke? They often write very stern letters of comdemnation to repressive governments!!!

Thread Information