Grocery shopping / sales / cupons

So, when you folks go do your grocery shopping, do you plan ahead, make lists and cut cupons? Do you wait for sales?

I'm trying to find ways to start saving money and one thing I realized is that I pretty much never look at prices when I buy my groceries. I just stick them in my basket and go on my way. But I've been thinking that I'm probably an idiot and paying way more than I really need to.

Re: Grocery shopping / sales / cupons

I am not too much of a shopper either.

But I do take note of prices, to ensure that I am not paying 40-50% over what I should pay. Sometimes the difference in quality between the extremely expensive brand and your brandless product is neglible. That is something you need to learn from experience, though. It is also dependent on your personal preference (how should a tomato taste?)

Most groceries are not something you can wait for till it is on offer in a sale.
    Beer however, you can buy in advance, and that may save you a lot of money. Same with all other alcoholic beverages.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

I only shop when I'm hungry for something in particular. If I do a big shop then I tend to buy things I'll never eat that go to waste.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

When you are shopping, Weiser, it's a good idea to pick up Next week's flier. They are usually right by the shopping baskets by the door, or ask a cashier. That's a start.

I make a list and always buy more than what is on it. I don't cut coupons because I have some things I like to buy but there usually aren't coupons for them. More work than they are worth and I hate getting behind someone who has a fist full of coupons. They take twice as long to check out.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Never go shopping when you are hungry. You will buy more, including junk you don't need.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

I second that!!!
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Our local Save-On and Safeway stores have GREAT cashiers. If they see there is a couponed item, they will give the coupon price for it. I remember when I worked in Retail, we used to cut coupons from our fliers and do the same thing for our customers. Customers sure appreciated that and were very grateful!

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    Our local Save-On and Safeway stores have GREAT cashiers. If they see there is a couponed item, they will give the coupon price for it. I remember when I worked in Retail, we used to cut coupons from our fliers and do the same thing for our customers. Customers sure appreciated that and were very grateful!
    Same thing here. It just speeds up everything and ensures customers are less annoyed. A win-win situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    When you are shopping, Weiser, it's a good idea to pick up Next week's flier. They are usually right by the shopping baskets by the door, or ask a cashier. That's a start.
    I totally depend on those fliers. That way I can stock up when something's on sale.

Coupons are generally too much of a pain to deal with. I'll only use them if there's one I need in one of the fliers.
    Quote Originally Posted by fat mike
    ...too much music leads to sex and uncomfortable shoes

weiser to see if your paying too much look at two different brands of the same product, not necessarily the cheapest one, just two different brands, and compare the price difference. even if its just a few cents, you do that with maybe 20 items and you find youve saved a fair bit.

It's almost always cheaper to buy in bulk, Weiser.. if you're really looking to save money I'd get a membership with Sam's Club [do you have those in canada?]

I don't know if we have a Sam's club, but we do have Costco.

And while that is a nice idea - one of the bad things about having amazing public transportation is the amount of things you can carry with you :/

Sam's Club is owned by walmart.. it's pretty much where all of walmart's surplus gets sent, it gets marked cheap, cheap enough to get a taxi and still have money to spare to solve your little public transportation problem.. Not that this matters since you don't have Sam's Club there,

I stopped going shopping years ago and just opted to let my wife figure all that stuff out.

When she started working some late hours IE 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM I began eating out all the time. I'm usually on the road at 4:00 AM or earlier and get home at around 5:00.PM or later. No way I can wait till 8:30 PM or so for dinner.

Last year I was diagnosed with diabetes and needed to control my carbohydrate intake more closely.

Now I do all my own shopping. It's kind of fun really and I can get foods that are better for me in managing my diabetes.

I'm doing well at it, have my diabetes under control and have lost 85 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
    I don't know if we have a Sam's club, but we do have Costco.

And while that is a nice idea - one of the bad things about having amazing public transportation is the amount of things you can carry with you :/
    My housemate does all his shopping at Costco. Might be worth it for you to at least check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by fat mike
    ...too much music leads to sex and uncomfortable shoes

Thats awesome John. I too have a crappy diet and should start looking seriously at weight loss.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a particular diet plan you stick to?
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Thats awesome John. I too have a crappy diet and should start looking seriously at weight loss.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a particular diet plan you stick to?
    Not really Duke. I eat anything I want in moderation and try to limit my carbohydrate intake to 45 grams or less per meal.

I'm an avid label reader these days. Of course, what that means is that I can eat more of some foods then others. Breads , pasta, potato's, Pizza etc = not so much. Unfortunately those are things I really love. Meats, fish, veggies and some fruits I can eat more of.

I eat em all Duke except I eat to live and not live to eat. Cookies, pies, cakes and Ice cream I opt for low sugar or no sugar recipes.

It's not as difficult as I first thought it would be when I was diagnosed last year. It's the hand I've been dealt Duke and I'm playing the cards as best I can.

A few years back I was heavily into rowing and had to quit due to losing my air. I simply could not draw air in my lungs and I've lost much of my old habits that kept me in good shape (mountain biking, squash, and tennis). I was tested and diagnosed as having a lung capacity of a person who's been smoking for 35 years.

Of course I've gained weight and I'm very much interested in getting back to where I once was. This is the reason I've picked up a mountain bike recently and will be throwing out some of my furniture to get more room to work out.

What I need now is diet hence the reason I'm interested in what you're eating.

Sorry for the hijack all, I'll start a new topic elsewhere.
    My Daughter Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    A few years back I was heavily into rowing and had to quit due to losing my air. I simply could not draw air in my lungs and I've lost much of my old habits that kept me in good shape (mountain biking, squash, and tennis). I was tested and diagnosed as having a lung capacity of a person who's been smoking for 35 years.

Of course I've gained weight and I'm very much interested in getting back to where I once was. This is the reason I've picked up a mountain bike recently and will be throwing out some of my furniture to get more room to work out.

What I need now is diet hence the reason I'm interested in what you're eating.

Sorry for the hijack all, I'll start a new topic elsewhere.
    Don't want to continue the hi jack so I'll just add that I have issues with participating in exercise too and did smoke for close to 40 years.

I can relate.

Thread Information