View Poll Results: Should we continue to use the reputation system?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 14.29%
  • No

5 71.43%
  • Doesn't matter

1 14.29%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: User Reputation System Enabled

Quote Originally Posted by TKDLady View Post
    Nice sig FB. Is it helping you get rep points????
    TURTLE POWER!

i never thought of that....thats a crafty way to suck up to the founder!!!!

i need a sig that says "will pay for rep points!"

Quote Originally Posted by PepsiChic View Post
    i never thought of that....thats a crafty way to suck up to the founder!!!!

i need a sig that says "will pay for rep points!"
    Maybe I will need to update mine!!!
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Sucking up to me doesn't do anyone any good, it's you all who run the show. I just try to make sure we stay online and somewhat in sync with our "web everyone" rating.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

The Rep system ain't a bad deal. It helps develop friendships among posters. Most reasonable people won't negative rep someone unless they're being a total jerk.

Lets not nix it just because it's a new thing. That's called contempt before investigation and usually isn't productive.

I'm a and I approve of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sullivan View Post
    The Rep system ain't a bad deal. It helps develop friendships among posters. Most reasonable people won't negative rep someone unless they're being a total jerk.

Lets not nix it just because it's a new thing. That's called contempt before investigation and usually isn't productive.

I'm a and I approve of this message.
    Agreed 110%, by a fellow

I don't think trying something new is a bad thing and I'd love it if this were a tool to pull us all even closer together.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

I guess I don't see how it brings us closer together. I am not for it and not because it is new but because I don't see a benefit.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Well maybe after a few weeks you will see a benefit, maybe not. Either way I want to give it a go for a few weeks and then have a vote on it to see if it stays or goes.
    My Daughter Rules!

I can see both the positives and negatives as discussed by everyone already. I think it does have the possibility to cause self esteem issues for some people and that's a negative, but it also has the potential to show some people that their thoughts are highly appreciated also.

I'm not really leaning either way. A trial though is a good idea, just so we can determine the influence it ishaving on the community.

You see what you want to see and you don't see what you don't want to see.

It's been in effect less then one day.

I am not here for points to how well you all like me. I am here for a shoulder when I need it and to be a shoulder when someone else needs it. It feels like a popularity contest.

I guess I've just never participated on a board with anyone that would have their self esteem so tied up in an add on. If that's a legit issue than it will show itself in time and have to be accounted for.

But, if you want to see, and you don't see, then does that mean that the tree that fell in the forest made a sound?

I am not here for points to how well you all like me. I am here for a shoulder when I need it and to be a shoulder when someone else needs it. It feels like a popularity contest.
    It isn't structured to be a popularity contest or I would not have enabled it in the first place. It's a default tool that comes with vBulletin and I'm interested in seeing how it works is all.

There is no harm that can come from trying it for a few weeks or so. If at that time there is reason to turn it off then we will. Personally I don't care if it's on or off but I do care about giving members more things to do around here hence my reasons for testing it.

The chatbox was another highly debatable addon that squeaked in by a narrow margin; some people use it while others appear to not even notice it. I'm pretty sure the same can be said when we eventually add the arcade and blog addons.

Nothing here is written in stone until the members delegate it's need to be a standard.

For now I see no reason not to try it for a short amount of time.
    My Daughter Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post

But, if you want to see, and you don't see, then does that mean that the tree that fell in the forest made a sound?
    Nah... for me it usually means I need to put on my glasses.

So, if you don't want to see, then you don't put your glasses on? What if you ALREADY have your glasses on? Do you take them off? How do you know you need to take them off unless you've already seen what you didn't wanna see??

So, if you don't want to see, then you don't put your glasses on? What if you ALREADY have your glasses on? Do you take them off? How do you know you need to take them off unless you've already seen what you didn't wanna see??
    You're making my brain hurt again Scott.

You're making my brain hurt again Scott.
    Mission Accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Right now the minimum amount of posts to use the system is 100. I feel thats a pretty fair compromise because if you've been here long enough to make 100 posts then you deserve to rate members.
    You might want to re-check this. It says I can give reputation, with 21 (now 22) posts. I'm pretty sure this wasn't available until I crossed the 20 post barrier, but I honestly can't say with perfect certainty.

I'll rep one of your posts and you can see if anything actually happens...

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Right now the minimum amount of posts to use the system is 100. I feel thats a pretty fair compromise because if you've been here long enough to make 100 posts then you deserve to rate members.
    You might want to re-check this. It says I can give reputation, with 21 (now 22) posts. I'm pretty sure this wasn't available until I crossed the 20 post barrier, but I honestly can't say with perfect certainty.

Is it OK if I approved of this post, even thought I thought it was basically rather mediocre?

Sure. And thanks for plugging my unreadable and deservedly unread blog.

Sure. And thanks for plugging my unreadable and deservedly unread blog.
    It brought tears to my eyes

Thanks for the heads up patrick.

There's two settings that control the minimum criteria a user must meet prior to being able to pass on reputation points. I'm guessing this means you can give a person reputation but it doesn't actually ad to that persons point value.

The current settings are as follows:

Minimum Post Count: How many posts must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? Current setting is 100 posts.

Minimum Reputation Count: How much reputation must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? Current setting is 10.

I think (don't know for sure) that vBulletin will take the higher value of the two settings since they are both basically redundant in nature (depending on setting). When you complete your registration here you automatically receive a reputation of 10 which would mean the reputation you gave me would actually add points to my reputation.

The test reputation you sent me didn't alter my reputation number so I'm guessing your limited to giving reputation but no point value is awarded until you reach the minimum post count. Although I did receive the reputation my reputation icon is . I've also received reputation from another user with over 100 posts and my reputation icon is .

I'm also not sure about the minimum post count because 100 seems awfully high to me; do you think we'd do better with a value of 20, 25, more, less?
    My Daughter Rules!

Duke, I did indeed get "green" rep.

But your comment was nowhere near as witty as the one Scott left me, I'm afraid.

The test reputation you sent me didn't alter my reputation number so I'm guessing your limited to giving reputation but no point value is awarded until you reach the minimum post count. Although I did receive the reputation my reputation icon is . I've also received reputation from another user with over 100 posts and my reputation icon is .
    I received a rep. award from PC but it was grey. She surely has more than 100 posts. So, what is going on, or am I exempt from this rep. wh0ring?
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Thread Information