Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Refuge

Re: Refuge

Quote Originally Posted by TKDLady View Post
    If you need the peace and quiet then go for it. As for the sheep picture, I know there are sheep there as in SD and Montana but I think it is still considered cattle country right?
    I actually travel only through Eastern Wyoming. Based on my informal survey, I see more cattle, but maybe the sheep are hiding? I think I see as many Antelope as sheep.

Well I have heard there is good hunting there too!
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Well I have heard there is good hunting there too!
    YES!

I wish I was a hunter.....I'd be happy just to have time to fish

I don't hunt either but all my brothers did and my dad did. I loved the result but don't think I could have ever killed an animal. Oh well. I did do a lot of fishing when I was a kid and my dad was alive. I loved it and wish I would have taken my own kids out fishing but I can't handle the way they fish here in Florida. I would prefer lakes and cooler weather. Plus my husband didn't fish and didn't see a need to buy the poles and stuff. Something I really regret.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

I don't hunt either but all my brothers did and my dad did. I loved the result but don't think I could have ever killed an animal. Oh well. I did do a lot of fishing when I was a kid and my dad was alive. I loved it and wish I would have taken my own kids out fishing but I can't handle the way they fish here in Florida. I would prefer lakes and cooler weather. Plus my husband didn't fish and didn't see a need to buy the poles and stuff. Something I really regret.
    I tried last year with miserable results....this year, since Andrew's been in the hospital, I've had to return home every weekend, whereas otherwise I'd stay in Wyoming and camp/fish (hopefully with better results).

I've hunted a little, but I always regret the kill, and REALLY regret it when I must gut/skin/butcher. What a hassle. I'd rather just buy a nice steak.

My whole family hunts and so does Squish's dad & family. (they travel all over to hunt)

I've never been b/c I couldn't sit quiet and still long enough

I imagine Squish will be out there in a few years. His grandfather is amazing w/a bow. He has bear trophies that he shot w/just a bow. Amazes me. Seems more fair to me that way though.

yuck yuck on killing bears and other creatures!
    " To thy own self be true..."

I did'nt i ate steak tonight.

I just don't like thinking about cow's chickens or pigs becoming food. They are the only creatures we should kill and again i'm just gonna turn my head and pretend i don't know about it.

No killing wolves or polar bears thats for sure, so REMEMBER that!

Quote Originally Posted by Fayebelle View Post
    I imagine Squish will be out there in a few years. His grandfather is amazing w/a bow. He has bear trophies that he shot w/just a bow. Amazes me. Seems more fair to me that way though.
    I am not a fan of hunting at all. But if you can best an animal with a bow then you are highly skilled.

Other than animal population control I don't see much reason to hunt though.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    I am not a fan of hunting at all. But if you can best an animal with a bow then you are highly skilled.

Do you feel the same about fishing? Why? / Why not?

I feel the same about fishing.

Anything more advanced than a basic fishing rod kills the sport. At the rate we are fishing (huge nets) , all kinds of fish will be extinct soon.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Anything more advanced than a basic fishing rod kills the sport. At the rate we are fishing (huge nets) , all kinds of fish will be extinct soon.
    I was talking about your basic fishing rod sport, not commercial fishing. If that's not objectionable to you then how is private hunting objectionable. Keep in mind I'm not talking about trophy hunting but hunting with the intention of providing food for the table.

Or in the case of wolves or bear with the intention of protecting live stock.

Bridgie is not going to like this much but there are legitimate reasons for killing wolves and bear and to say that all killing of such animals is strictly wrong is short sighted.

How many people need to shoot bears or wolves to survive John?

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin

For all the chickens and turkeys we eat, there sure isn't a shortage of them.

Fishing is definitely harder to control and manage. Overfishing is definitely a problem, especially in international waters.

I've never cared for hunting personally and have never done it, and I haven't fished in over 20 years. But I sure enjoy partaking in delicious meat.
    "You know how it feels when you're leaning back on a chair, and you lean too far back, and you almost fall over backwards, but then you catch yourself at the last second? I feel like that all the time..." - Stephen Wright

It makes me sad when we have to sell one of our moo cows to the meat market!

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin
    I think I've already answered that.

You did not answer that question.

Which part is hard to understand?

As many as it takes to protect the livestock investment of ranchers. It's rarely about human survival. If a bobcat or a coyote was picking off your cats, what would you do?

The firearms are needed for defense against human predators as well. Ranchers in particular are plagued by thefts of livestock - and now there is a growing crime of theft from stored gasoline on ranches and farms.
    One's Blog

Don't forget fish and crabs and lobsters and....
    I did forget those did'nt i......

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

Bridgie is not going to like this much but there are legitimate reasons for killing wolves and bear and to say that all killing of such animals is strictly wrong is short sighted.
    Your right, i don't like that much! The slaughtering that has taken place on wolves over the last year is wrong, it's not legitimate and not short sighted for me to think so. It's short sighted that you are not more open to my thoughts on the issue. It's not so much they are overpopulated, bc we just started a few years ago on breeding them and introducing them back into their wild natural habitat. They are endangered species, thats the bottom line, and they are being killed for the same reason they have always been.........bc of fear. They are being killed bc people find it uncomfortable to live with them, so they come up with every reason under the sun to be rid of them. Ranchers are going to loose cattle it's inevitable, maybe rather than crying about a wolf taking out one of their older or younger cattle (natural food chain cycle) maybe they could get used to actually working their cattle again and keeping somebody on watch, protecting over them. If you throw all your livestock out into acres and acres of rolling free land than your going to have to just accept the fact things happen, nature happens and life happens. Wolves do not need a greater threat like ourselves to take them out, they don't live very long. After about 7 years their hips give way, and it makes it harder for them to hunt. In the nature cycle, deer and cattle do, do a great deal of damage to the wolves in the whole process. We do not eat them, they are not a part of our staple foods. We have no reason to kill them other than fear or for trophies sake.

Not many.

Don't forget fish and crabs and lobsters and....
    I know you're an expert on killing crabs.

You guys understand that I have no intention of becomming a resident of Wyoming to take advantage of the hunting licenses that are much less expensive for residents.

I've hunted before. Frankly, I'd rather shoot pictures than animals.

Plus, they probably don't have armadillaux in Wyoming, hence the license would be useless.

One's Blog

Thread Information