A resume, of sorts

The American economy will once again rise like a phoenix. Why? I'm looking for a job, or will be shortly at any rate. Anyway, I'd much appreciate any constructive, unconstructive, deconstructive or violent retching comments anyone would care to direct my way over my very rough first draft.

Unfortunately I'm no whiz at anything that touches upon HTML, so the best I'm able to do at present is offer two kind of unpleasant ways to read it.

It can be viewed at ScribID, here, simply by clicking on the link. The 'downside' is that the stupid window it opens in is at most 2/3 of the screen. Meaning it is kind of hard to read....and if there's a way to offer a full screen view with their product I've not found it.

Or, I also saved it as a PDF at File Factory, here. This actually gives you a better view, but you have to click a link and then type some gibberish they prompt you for. Note that you do NOT need to sign up for anything. (I made sure of this, but you do need Adobe Reader.)

Note that I've stripped out anything 'personal,' like e-mail addresses, etc. I may be dumb but even I'm not that dumb.

tia,

patrick

Re: A resume, of sorts

First off, you need to find more reputable companies to work for!!! (Just kidding)

I think it is well written but there is one line in the first section where you say "Eighteen years on on-hands experience ...". I think it should be changed to "Eighteen years of on-hands experience ...".

Good luck with the job hunting.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

First I wanna thank you for all the advice you've given me in my "Refuge" Thread......big help, buddy.

Next, I just want you to know that I've written about 12 resumes for myself, attended classes, read books, Etc., Etc., so when I let you know something about your resume, I'm not some A-hole who's risen to an assistant manager's position at Weiner World.

I get into huge arguments about the "Objective" section. Frankly, I think its BS, and that most employers don't bother reading it. Your objective is pretty obvious: To GET A JOB that PAYS The MOST Money.

An employer wants to know: What is your particular skill, or knowledge, and do you have a specialty?

I'd get rid of the Objective section, and replace it with a title: Senior Accounting Manager: Certified with 18 Years Experience.

I like the rest of it, especially the way you've divided and presented your experience

I agree with Sam. The Objective section is worthless. Everybody just writes some happy **** to impress prospective employers.
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMSON
    I'm not some A-hole who's risen to an assistant manager's position at Weiner World.
    Don't feel bad, man. Lots of people never make it to assistant manager.

i had my resume written by a professional, if you would like, i can send you it via email, and you can use the basis, layout and sections and take any good wording, sentances and such to your own.

this offer goes to ANYONE who might want it.

but yeah your more then welcome to have it if it might help in any way

just some random information for everyone, in the UK a resume is actually called a CV - curriculum vitae.

Other than the earlier mentioned "Objective" area, it looks like a solid resume.

Quote Originally Posted by PepsiChic View Post
    just some random information for everyone, in the UK a resume is actually called a CV - curriculum vitae.
    Same here. Probably because 97% of the population cannot spell curriculum vitae correctly.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by F&L View Post
    Don't feel bad, man. Lots of people never make it to assistant manager.

I think it looks quite professional and very well laid out patrick, great job. The only comment I would make is it looks a bit busy due to lack of spacing between line breaks. Is there any way to shorten some of the nomenclature in the Experience portion so you can add spacing between jobs?

Aesthetic wise you have some issues with layout and punctuation that you'll want to make consistent such as:
    • ending sentences with .
    • correcting point form alignment on Summary of Qualifications.
    I'd also suggest you choose one form of description or another as you incorporate both full sentences and sentence fragments in your Experience Category which makes it read funny.

I hope this is the kind of feedback you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    It can be viewed at ScribID, here, simply by clicking on the link. The 'downside' is that the stupid window it opens in is at most 2/3 of the screen. Meaning it is kind of hard to read....and if there's a way to offer a full screen view with their product I've not found it.
    To get full screen all you have to do is:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Thanks for the thoughtful critique, everyone. Will work on incorporating the changes noted. One thing I've noticed (and I believe Scott pointed out) is that the "objective" portion of resumes seems almost optional these days. I guess I'm enough of an old fogey that I'm going to keep it in there, for now. However, I'm probably going to be customizing it...quite frankly there seem to be a lot of corporate type positions open around here.

Perhaps the oddest feeling I had posting this? Usually I don't give a hoot what others think of me, yet I felt a sense of trepidation over this. Very strange that I would think that.

I didn't ad any comment about the Objective portion of your resume because I like it frankly. I think it cements that your goal oriented while at the same time ads a bit of personality to your resume which is a good thing IMHO.

As for my aesthetic critique I only ad it because believe it or not I did take a business writing course many many eons ago (although you'd pr0lly never know it ). There were many rules it covered such as term usage consistency, action words usage only (remove the fluff), sentences with 18 words or less, paragraph structure, etc.

This course also suggested that you always be cognizant of the fact the average reading age of your audience is grade 6 or 7. Since a resume is very much a business document I thought it would benefit from this input.

Regardless of what you choose to do (or not do) it is a very professional and well structured form.

I wish you the best of luck in your job hunt!
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Maybe it's just me, but I have never included an "Objective" to my resume. If I hand in a resume & a cover letter, chances are my objective is to get a job wouldn't you think?

That's just me though, and atleast your objective is a good one. I've seen some that just made you laugh and those resumes found their way to the trash.

Thread Information