Thread: Spending Less

Spending Less

In these tough economic times, most everyone is trying to cut back. There is another thread about it, but I thought of starting this one because it's a little different.

What can/did you actually do today that you were able to step aside and not spend money on? As an example: that extra fancy coffee, a chocolate bar or bag of chips, or a higher-priced meal with an alcoholic drink, or buying a newspaper instead of getting your news from TV or the Internet.

How about putting what you saved today in a jar to collect over the week and post about it to give others incentives to save. It's savings you never think about but seeing money in a jar gives it more meaning.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Re: Spending Less

I'm actually saving for a trip to Dubai in 2014. Sounds like a long ways away, but it's going to be an expensive trip. My cousin is about to buy a house as an investment property down in Arizona and I think I am going to be putting money towards that instead of putting it in a savings account. The US economy has nowhere to go but up (well, it'll probably tank a little bit more before it starts heading up).

I am buying less though. One coffee in the morning as opposed to 3 during the day. Eat lunch out on fridays instead of every day. Grocery shopping and cooking dinner instead of ordering food. The toughest thing is drinking less :/

I'm also cutting out my december trip to Calgary which I am not very happy about, but it has to be done.

Good for you, Weiser! It's hard at first but once you see that you are Saving, that will totally outweigh what you are giving up; eventually you won't even miss those things.

It was our Savings what helped get our home and vehicle paid off when the Company he worked for went down in the 80's and I wasn't working. Of course, we had to start all over again, and it was years before we were able to save at a consistent level. Things always seem to crop up; but we always managed to scrape by.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

I find things online every so often. One of them mentioned using vinegar to unclog drains - it works surprisingly well. I also read somewhere to stop shampooing every day, and just let the water run through your hair. My hair actually looks better than before. I heard there can be a period of 'rebound' though, where your hair will look greasy. I also read you can use baking soda to wash your hair.

I've noticed that things like baking soda and vinegar do some amazing things.

I've started making m own laundry soap, which is easier than you'd think. Grate a bar of Fels Naptha soap, and mix 2 parts soap with 1 part washing soda, and one part borax. You only need to use 2 tablespoons per load, and it works really well.

I'll think of more later.

newstart

I found the link about shampooing less often or using baking soda instead:

When It Comes To Shampoo, Less Is More : NPR

newstart

Here's a link about saving money on meals - you can look up other videos with this woman for other recipes:

YouTube - Great Depression Cooking Ep:3 - Poorman's Meal

newstart

Some other links with money-saving ideas:

Save-50-a-Day-How-Three-Super-Savers-Do-It: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

How-to-Save-Money-When-Money-Is-Tight: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

What-Do-I-Do-Now: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance?

Yahoo! Personal Finance

There was also an article I read about how gardening can save you money. I started planting my vegetable seedlings.

newstart

You can also save money by using common things in new ways:

Eight smart uses for vinegar | Yahoo! Green

Ketchup Uses – Ketchup Packets and Bottles - Catsup - thedailygreen.com

Sixty Uses of Baking Soda and there are other links - just google "uses for baking soda". I even used it once to get permanent marker off of a hard wood floor...

Best of luck saving, everyone!

newstart

I checked and have read the articles awhile ago and I just want to say thank you for sharing newstart.

" Begin with the ending in mind ~ Stephen Covey "

You're welcome, Sam!

I found 2 more links that might help some people. The only problem with some of these "save X # of dollars" articles is that they assume that you spend a certain amount on certain things. I can usually find some little thing that could help though.

Best-Ways-to-Save-$2-Grand-a-Year: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

all-the-ways-your-laziness-is-costing-you-money.html: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Good luck to all!

newstart

Ah, yet another article. I really like this one, because it gives ideas on how to live better (healthier) and still save money.

Living Healthily on Less - Yahoo! News

newstart

i found that changing what i drink is saving a lot of money, went from a 24 pack of beer and a 12 pack of soda at home which was costing me about $30 a month to lemonade from powder which costs a $1 a gallon so about $6 a month.

instead of buying $1.50 soda at work i bring mine and it costs about 75 cents, so just there im saving about $35 a month

I bought 2 bags of ruffles chips (bbq & all dressed) at shoppers today for $3. Normally they are $3.49 each but today they were 2 for $3. Works for me, except that I already ate a bag. Hmm I wonder how bad that was for me?

1485 calories
    88 grams of fat
    3300 mg of sodium

dear god i don't pay attention to stuff like that but even I know that can't be good for you!

On the plus side, I consumed 11 g of fibre!

you only live once might as well enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
    I bought 2 bags of ruffles chips (bbq & all dressed) at shoppers today for $3. Normally they are $3.49 each but today they were 2 for $3. Works for me, except that I already ate a bag. Hmm I wonder how bad that was for me?

1485 calories
    88 grams of fat
    3300 mg of sodium

dear god i don't pay attention to stuff like that but even I know that can't be good for you!

On the plus side, I consumed 11 g of fibre!
    So what you're saying is you're likely going to sh1t your blood clots out

I rarely eat out anymore and have started cooking more at home (which I hate). The one plus is that I've started BBQ'ing chicken once again and man there's nothing better than BBQ chicken cooked on a kettle BBQ.

...propane is for suckers.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Wow!
    Nice video !
    Thanks !

I found another link: http://green.yahoo.com/blog/ecomii_h...0-a-month.html

I hope it's helpful to someone!

newstart

Everytime we decide that we should spend less & not to spend so much in unproductive things... But everytime we cant control our emotions & everytime we failed to save money..!!

I'm working on both spending less and ecology by no longer buying paper plates. I go thru a ton of paper plates because I use them to cover food in the microwave. Well, this year I find a new way.

I'm spending less this year in that I've stopped going for lunch with my friends from work. We did the math and realized we were each spending between $150 - $210/month in lunches just to escape work for 30 - 45 minutes. While its helped my sanity its done little for my savings.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

I think your sanity is more important!!!
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

My saving habits have gone out the window lol. On the bright side, Katie and I cook dinner 5 out of 7 nights so that saves a bit.

My income, for reasons mainly beyond my control, has gone down to about 1/3 of what it was a year ago. Yes, I'm trying to get a better paying job. In the mean time, I'm looking even harder for ways to save money. One website that has some good suggestions is Entries tagged Saving Money | Yahoo! Green
    Another place to check out is Jeff Yeager, the Ultimate Cheapskate: Jeff Yeager || The Ultimate Cheapskate I've been getting plenty of money saving tips.

Best of luck to all!
    newstart

Quote Originally Posted by newstart View Post
    My income, for reasons mainly beyond my control, has gone down to about 1/3 of what it was a year ago. Yes, I'm trying to get a better paying job. In the mean time, I'm looking even harder for ways to save money. One website that has some good suggestions is Entries tagged Saving Money | Yahoo! Green
    Another place to check out is Jeff Yeager, the Ultimate Cheapskate: Jeff Yeager || The Ultimate Cheapskate I've been getting plenty of money saving tips.

Best of luck to all!
    newstart
    Ooooooo, what exciting links Newstart. Thanks. Today I intend to spend $30 at yard sales and come home with $120 worth of items, if not more. Now that's being thrifty!!

Thread Information