Our Prison System

Samson made a great post regarding possible ideas in increasing our public school funding. In that post... one of the suggestions had to do in revising our penile system.

Since Samson brough it up that my answer had nothing to do with the thread topic, in which he is correct that it did not....I thought we could expand on the one portion here. We can also start discussions on any of the other points made as separate issues.

A portion of my post regarding this issue:

I'd be more interested in finding a way the prison system could generate some revenue. We do a great deal of import purchasing due to the US just not being able to make certain components as cheaply as some other countries.

I don't see why we couldn't train our vast prison population to do some of these things. Pay them a fair legal minimum wage....and charge them out of that wage for a greater portion of their upkeep.....plus a good restitution program. It would be a two fold blessing. It would not only relieve the great financial cost....but also teach them some good skills towards gainful employment once they are released.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Does anyone else have any opinions in how we could make our prison systems more financially adequate so the finances spent on that area could be better distributed elsewhere?

:o No more weight rooms, free college, or sitting in front of cable tv! Hush your mouth woman!

JK JK - I totally agree. Someone on a site I won't mention once had the idea that prisoners should have to jog in a giant hampster wheel to produce electricity. Not feesable but one hell of a mental image. LOL

Penile system? *giggle*

A fair amount of prisons teach the prisoners skills like doing car bodywork and welding and what not. They do some jobs that I think pay the prisoners. But the goal is that they can have some marketable skills when they get out of prison so they won't be working as a bagger or something when they get out, so they are a bit less likely to get back into crime.

PS: you were looking for "penal" system.

Many wont agree with me but more need to be executed.. :? and it shouldn't have to go thru 10 years of appeals to do so. :?

Sorry SH. I'm generally ProLife. There are exception for abortion IMHO- but I don't believe in the death penalty.

I know everyone doesn't agree with execution and I respect that but I don't agree with the fact that our taxes have to pay for people ( murders rapers ect.) that don't respect life. It's taking away from the systems and the people who deserve it. There are thousands of starving children, seinors living on pennies, and schools that are not getting the proper funds to operate. The seinors pay taxes, the parents of the children that deserve the education pay taxes the inmates don't so they don't deserve any of our resources, they get a college education, 3 or more hot meals a day, clean clothing, cable, free electric, water, sports, religion, and entertainment, health care, psych care, and many many more witch is paid by that state. It's BS We follow the rules of siocity and they have no respect for life and get a free ride.. I'd rather execute a rapist and save the money to give to the schools, or the elderly. The AMERICANS who live for the dream not the ones who abuse it. IMO

HEY Instead of sending my kids sending me to a nursing home, they can just send me to jail... LMAO ( kidding )

I see your point- I just feel that executions punish the wrong peeps

Example- If your child shot someone - wouldn't you have done anything you could have to prevent that death? Than why should you have to pay w/the loss of your child's life? You did nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dogula
    Penile system? *giggle*

PS: you were looking for "penal" system.
    Freudian Slip?

Quote Originally Posted by Fayebelle

Example- If your child shot someone - wouldn't you have done anything you could have to prevent that death? Than why should you have to pay w/the loss of your child's life? You did nothing wrong.
    No but he did

Dogula,
    I'm sure there is SOME amount of training towards the possibility of employment once someone has done their time. However, while they are actually incarcerated.....they could still be useful to society while earning some of their own upkeep.

Car tags are good. I think a great many prisoners have other marketable skills though and I wonder why this hasn't been explored. Or....maybe it has and for some reason it was not considered do-able.

I think it is good if you can have them doing stuff that has some sort of an application outside of the prison, and if the prison makes some money at it, then thats good.

And SH, some murderers and rapists might not deserve life, but I don't think it's right to take their life.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneheather
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayebelle

No but he did

Yes- but why should you be punished w/his death? Would you think it was OK if the victim's mother just came up and shot him? That would be true retribution.

LMAO I should't pay for for his deah, bit I should have tought him better... It would be just as hard seeing him rot in jail, justic is justic and if he made a bad decision as an adult that's his problem. but this could go on and on.. I see your point my dear

Quote Originally Posted by dogula
    I think it is good if you can have them doing stuff that has some sort of an application outside of the prison, and if the prison makes some money at it, then thats good.

And SH, some murderers and rapists might not deserve life, but I don't think it's right to take their life.
    Why not have a job like 'computer component assembly' right there in the prison? Pay them for their job and charge them for their incarceration time out of that pay.

$40,000 a year ($60,000 on death row) is a lot of money to have to pay per prisoner. If they shouldered some of their own keep....it would lessen the tax burden tremendously. And again....train them for furture employment.

Prison is crazy they will kill the guy next to them with a skrewdriver, maby they can stuff pillows that can't cause much harm :?

[color+red]Warning very graphic!!![/color]

This is a video of an execution by electric chair- Personally- I think it is cruel and unusual

http://evtv1.com/index.asp?itemnum=96

EWWW GRoss

Anyway, what did that man do to others? I think if we ARE going to execute it should be done by lethal injection.... Speaking of that ( why do they clean the skin with alchol before lethal injection? Are they afraid of infection... your going to die anyway?)

Yes, death is bad.

I wonder how sympathetic we would be had we been able to see a similarly"produced" video of the convict committing whatever acts he did to deserve death?

I'm with Samson. If he killed a child after raping it.....I could watch the video while eating popcorn.

I think they should go back to the old hanging method. It takes longer. Let 'em think about what they did while they dangle.

No it doesn't. A proper hanging dislocates either the third or the fourth vertebrates and kills the executed instantly. For incorrectly executed executions I refer you to the 8th amendment. And I'm pretty sure that only one state still keeps up its gallows and they haven't been used in a long time. And for the comment that it takes to long to kill the criminal, they have a constitutional right to due process. Being a monster or whatever does not negate their rights. And the initial trial has to take so long since under our judicial system innocence is assumed until guilt is proven.

I didn't know that. Damn Cowboy movies lied to me again!!!

The cowboy movies probably were fairly accurate because cowboys themselves were not professional executioners. As a result of being untrained in the finer points, would not allow enough rope lengh to produce
    A proper hanging dislocates either the third or the fourth vertebrates

Thus we see horse thieves sadly twitching and gaging, inexpertly executed.

Despite our extremely fair judicial due process system, hundreds (thousands?) of prisoners remain on death row. Tonight, why not give them all a nice bowl of jello laced with 100 mg of valium for dessert, wait an hour, then follow up with a 22 calibur "nightcap?"

I doubt any of their victims were given any such consideration before they were tortured and or killed.

I agree. Even the lethal injection thing comes with so much drama. I would assume it's designed to do so.....but it would be easier to do it another way. I think they should give a person an injection to put them asleep, much like they do before an operation, then do next whatever is best.

One of my favorite comedians from Texas, Ron White, says that while the rest of the world is arguing about the death penalty......Texas has an Express Line. Sounds like a plan to me.

Thread Information