Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Site Performance

I'm not sure what time frame that was in PST but it's likely due to the fact that I had movie-talk.net unfrozen and was ridding it of vbseo. During this time, the server was under extreme load and all sites were slow to load and sometimes, unresponsive.

My guess is it was my work slowing things down but that nasty vbseo had to be gotten rid of.

Everything should be running fine now, hopefully.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

I tried to come here at 8:12 a.m. yesterday and kept trying about every ten to fifteen minutes. At 10:42 a.m. it still wasn't back on so out of exasperation I went to wash my floors. I tried again sometime after 11:30 a.m. after the floors dried, and Lifesupporters was back on again.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Hey Ken,

I VBSEO on SF is any chance of being an issue for you, feel free to shut that down also.

From what ive learnt the forums can do ok without it, so i have no concerns if its going or not and its one more loophole closed for SQL injections.

I think the issue is vBulletin 4.x series and vbseo. vB 4.x is a resource pig on it's own so piggy backing another resource pig only makes for trouble.

If you ever want to move to 4.x series on any of your other vB sites I'll likely try to talk you out of using vbseo but I think the combination of vB 3.x and vbseo is still ok.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

I think next major change i do, or forum i obtain (if ever), i will look at Xenforo.

I still like vB very much but I'm on the fence as to whether or not I"ll ever move beyond 4.x series given how long it's taking for them to get it working correctly.

The WYSIWYG is absolute sh1t3 and there are issues between vB and some 3rd party apps such as vbseo and an avatar mod I use pretty much all the time.

Depending on what kind of deal I can get out of multiple XenoForo licenses, I may be making the switch right behind you.

SEO and templating will matter though; if either of them suck then I'm not moving beyond vB.
    My Daughter Rules!

BTW, I think Site Performance has been back to normal, if not faster, than it was previously.

Yet another nail in the vbseo coffin as far as I'm concerned.
    My Daughter Rules!

Great for me!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

All sites have been experiencing intermittent downtimes over the past 12 hours.

I'm not sure about the previous issues but the reason the sites were down today is that there was some mixup in billing.

We split this server with a Webmaster friend of mine who actually pays the Server in full monthly off his credit card. It looks as if the Credit Card had expired and the manual payment he made was sent to the wrong address with our Webhost.

It's since been sorted out and all sites are back up and running all be it there still seem to be some speed issues.

Anyway, still sorting through the rubble, my apologies for the interruption in service.

Ken
    My Daughter Rules!

I'm glad to hear things are being sorted out; I have a lot of catching up to do here.

As some of you may know, Fragtard and all my websites are being hosted on a Split Dedicated Server out of Chicago IL.

The guy I split the server dues with is starting to worry me as he's not paying attention to the Billing portion of this deal as much as he should be.

Just know, if the site goes offline that I am aware of it and working to get it back online. If I can't for some reason get it online quickly, I'll likely move to my own Dedicated or VPS Box and loose the partnership.

This will not affect our Teamspeak or Battlefield 3 Servers, only the websites will be down, possibly.
    My Daughter Rules!

Just a short update, I still haven't heard a peep from my Server Partner so it's looking more and more likely like we'll be offline soon.

I'm spending the entire day today pulling complete backups off the Server and databases just to make sure we don't lose any information.

At this time, its quite likely we'll be on our own Server before the week is up.

Assuming this is the case, I'm not sure whether or not I'll be able to retain the IP addresses I currently have configured on this Server. This means that even once the sites are up and running on the new Server, all domain names will have to be redirected to the new IP addresses so the sites will remain offline to many until DNS has fully propagated.

Hopefully it doesn't come to this.
    My Daughter Rules!

Just holler if i can help in any way.

As I was posting at about 7:23 a.m. I noticed it took longer and longer for posts to be processed. At 8:23 a.m. the site was still the same.

I have had the same happen, I thought it was something to do with my internet connection at first, and I did all the tricks I know to try and correct it.
    But then finding it was purely on this site.

Has someone forgotten to pay the electric bill?. I have some savings in my piggy bank.

Ahhhhhh, back to normal! Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Booboo View Post
    I have had the same happen, I thought it was something to do with my internet connection at first, and I did all the tricks I know to try and correct it.
    But then finding it was purely on this site.

Has someone forgotten to pay the electric bill?. I have some savings in my piggy bank.
    lol

The outages we're seeing could be due to a few factors.

This Server has always been utilizing the maximum our RAM allows for and sometimes all it takes is something to go awry to bring the Server to it's knees.

...it's a proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" situation.

The other thing that's been really bad lately not just on our Server but across the net is ddos attacks. It's brought down not just Websites I frequent but also brought down Gaming Servers I practice on.

We are in the process of moving to our own Hybrid VPS Solution so hopefully this corrects any remaining issues.
    My Daughter Rules!

Thread Information