Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Obama President

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Under your bed.
    Posts
    27,811

    Obama President

    Well it's official, Barak Obama is now the 44th President of the United States.

    As expected, there has been a lot of racial discussion about Obama becoming the first African American to be voted to the White House. Regardless of what you think of America and the fact most of what they do is on TV's around the world I will admit, I'm proud of you folks tonight.

    I can't say personally I'd pick McCain over Obama or vice versa but I can say one thing, Obama won't make me afraid that the world won't be here tomorrow like Psycho-Bush has the past 4 years. While McCain would likely not have followed directly in Bush's footsteps he still gives an air of more of the same old same old (to me at least).

    What are your thoughts on President Obama?
    My Daughter Rules!

    Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

    Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

    Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    446

    Re: Obama President

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Obama won't make me afraid that the world won't be here tomorrow like Psycho-Bush has the past 4 years.
    My feelings exactly. America should be proud of it decision.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    The Cloud of Unknowing
    Posts
    17,425

    Re: Obama President

    So far it is good for my economy. I won half a dollar and a bottle of wine on the result .
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

    Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

    The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow!
    Posts
    26,558

    Re: Obama President

    I, too, as a Canadian, am happy that Barack Obama won. I got up at 3:00 a.m. just to check the results.

    Happy for your personal win, Vautrin!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.


    True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

    Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

    ~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    446

    Re: Obama President

    The only shame about the whole thing is McCain speech when he accepted defeat showed him in his true colours as a humble man with allot of dignity.

    If only he'd run his campaign that way instead of always focusing on the negative.

    McCain didn't loose the campaign, the republican advisors and Palin lost it for him. I hope he becomes part of the administration.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    At Home
    Posts
    12,071

    Re: Obama President

    I have nothing against Obama because he is black. My objections are with his policies. My taxes are going to go up and my job will most likely be in jeopardy because I work for a government contractor. Having him as president isn't near as bad as having the whole government being democratic. That scares the hell out of me. No checks and balances there.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,997

    Re: Obama President

    first thing i want to say is i'm sooo happy to be canadian and not american!

    that being said, i am very happy that obama won the election. i think he'll do a wonderful job in his new role as president. anything is better then that bush character who loves violence and war. hopefully obama will be able to bring the military back home to their families where they belong and resolve all the mess bush created peacefully.

    americans should be very proud of their decision!!
    Life is what you make of it. Make it happen.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    314

    Re: Obama President

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Well it's official, Barak Obama is now the 44th President of the United States.

    As expected, there has been a lot of racial discussion about Obama becoming the first African American to be voted to the White House. Regardless of what you think of America and the fact most of what they do is on TV's around the world I will admit, I'm proud of you folks tonight.

    I can't say personally I'd pick McCain over Obama or vice versa but I can say one thing, Obama won't make me afraid that the world won't be here tomorrow like Psycho-Bush has the past 4 years. While McCain would likely not have followed directly in Bush's footsteps he still gives an air of more of the same old same old (to me at least).

    What are your thoughts on President Obama?
    I have felt that America was ready for an African-American for a long time, despite the naysayers trying to regurgitate fears that America is still a quote "racist nation" unquote because of our horrible, but not unique slavery history.

    But the racial component of this election was bothersome. I voted for an African-American candidate for President in 1996 and 2000, not because he was black, but because I thought we was what this country needed. But you did not see headlines of "historic" or "groundbreaking" or any other accolades by the media. That is because this candidate was a Constitutionalist conservative and a Republican, and in the racist mindset of the media and hardcore Democrat activists, being a conservative somehow negates ones "blackness." Never mind that it was the Republicans who freed the slaves, fought Jim Crow, and had a greater majority of support than their Democratic counterparts in passing the 1964 Civil Rights Act. We are the ones advocating judging a person not by the color of ones skin, but by the content of ones character. The Democratic Party and their media allies believe the opposite.

    Jumping into the 2008 race, we see people voting for Mr. Obama BECAUSE of the color of his skin. Those of us who opposed Obama did not oppose him because of his skin color, but because of the far-left policies he advocates, when he's not hiding behind empty rhetoric of "hope" and "change" (and really, doesn't every campaign by the party out of power tout promises of change?)

    In California, there were six candidates for President, plus four write-in candidates. Of the six, three were African-American. I voted not for Obama, but for the candidate I voted for in 1996 and 2000, and not because of the color of his skin, but because of what he stands for. I wasn’t interested in “making history.” I was interested in securing my rights and liberties, to keep more of my income from a growing power-hungry federal government that wants to be my nanny.

    The real shame is how our media and government-run education system limits our choices by telling us we have only two choices. It’s a shame the Commission on Presidential Debates limits the debates to just two candidates. What’s wrong with more candidates giving us more ideas and plans to make this country better? How about making these so-called debates more substantive?

    I don’t think Bush is a “psycho.” That’s rhetoric I’ve heard these last eight years and doesn’t really advance any political discussion. He’s done things I agree with; he’s done things I disagree with. He thinks he’s doing the best he can in trying to deal a hostile, violent world. His eight years are about up and we’ll have somebody new to beat up on for four to eight years. Former President Clinton couldn’t stop a chaotic, violent world and I doubt Obama will either. The ultimate question is whether retreat will lead to increase of international terrorism. The answers will come in time.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    314

    Re: Obama President

    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    McCain didn't loose the campaign, the republican advisors and Palin lost it for him. I hope he becomes part of the administration.
    Nonsense. John McCain was perhaps the worst nominee the Republicans could come up with, much of that happening in the early primaries with open-primaries where crossovers came over to give us the worst nominee, but in the end most of them voted for Obama.

    McCain did not have much support from his base, what what support there was was a more anti-Obama feeling than a pro-McCain feeling. The money and volunteerism and enthusiam was lacking... until McCain picked Sarah Palin as his running mate.

    That is what motivated people to donate and volunteer and go to these massive rallies. It's more inspiring to be FOR something than AGAINST something. That is what Palin did for the race and it made McCain more competitive. The types of people who hate people like Palin were already in the Obama camp.

    Palin was a GAIN for the McCain team, and one of the few good things he did in an otherwise disastrous campaign. The problem with McCain from the beginning was McCain himself. Period.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    314

    Re: Obama President

    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    bush character who loves violence and war.
    Bush does not love violence and war. The war only perpetuates because of the Islamofascists. Islamofacism has declared war on the non-Islam world and you can either deal with the problem up front or hide your head in the sand and pretend they'll just go away.

    Making "nice" didn't work for Neville Chamberlain, and it won't work today.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,272

    Re: Obama President

    I mentioned before that I do not care. Really it does not matter a bit who is in poer. If something good happens during any administration I believe it to be a happy accident.

    Realistically is it such a bad thing to call Bush a war monger? Haven't we been at war against some one for no discernible reason? WMD? Peace in the middle east? Are we being humanitarian and really helping these people? Some one please tell me the reason why Americans are being sent home in pine boxes... If there is sentiment that Bush likes war, I understand.

    In the end history will gloss over so much, so does it really matter?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    446

    Re: Obama President

    Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post

    Palin was a GAIN for the McCain team, and one of the few good things he did in an otherwise disastrous campaign. The problem with McCain from the beginning was McCain himself. Period.
    We'll have to agree to disagree but from where I see it, Palin went off on her own and didn't tow the party line, had at least two scandals during her time as his choice of VP and came up with some classic quotes which showed her to be a terrible choice. She might have got the religious right on board but it didn't really help this time round.

    Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    bush character who loves violence and war.
    Bush does not love violence and war. The war only perpetuates because of the Islamofascists. Islamofacism has declared war on the non-Islam world and you can either deal with the problem up front or hide your head in the sand and pretend they'll just go away.

    Making "nice" didn't work for Neville Chamberlain, and it won't work today.
    Not dealing with the problem with force of arms isn't hiding away from it.

    I think you could look at the other way and say Bush just agrivated a situation. Its not much different to the situation in Northern Ireland and the British military occupation. It was never solved by violence and even the most hardened advovates of violence towards protestants and the British came to the peace table. It took over 2000 deaths and thousands of severly injured people before they figured this out.

    Neville Chamberlain was a different thing entirely and should never ever be compared to what happened in the last decade. The circumstances couldn't have been any different.

    Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    Jumping into the 2008 race, we see people voting for Mr. Obama BECAUSE of the color of his skin. Those of us who opposed Obama did not oppose him because of his skin color, but because of the far-left policies he advocates, when he's not hiding behind empty rhetoric of "hope" and "change" (and really, doesn't every campaign by the party out of power tout promises of change?)
    He's not far left, he's centre left. He has more right wing views than Tony Blair did and he was a centre left leader of a left wing party who privatised everything that Britiain once owned which is very right wing thing to do. I don't know why people in the US fear 'left' policy, it leads to a bit more social justice and a fairer place.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    6,161

    Re: Obama President

    because leftist policy isnt fair. wealth redistribution isnt fair. If I work hard for my money it shouldnt go to paying some drug addict who has no job and leeches off the government. It leads to a lower standard of living across all income levels. marxism doesnt work. As for social justice there wont be any more then now, heck the democrat filled state of california just banned gay marriage. For the US obama is far left. He has the inexperience of kennedy and the policies of carter.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,209

    Re: Obama President

    I loved JFK. *swoon*


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,209

    Re: Obama President

    Quote Originally Posted by IR_Efrem View Post
    Some one please tell me the reason why Americans are being sent home in pine boxes... If there is sentiment that Bush likes war, I understand.
    Bush likes Oil. That's why.


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    At Home
    Posts
    12,071

    Re: Obama President

    ... and the radical middle east likes bombing tall buildings in New York, Washington DC and leaving bombs on airplanes!!!!! Everyone has such short memories.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,209

    Re: Obama President



    Don't get me started on the fear of 9/11 and whatever Iraq has to do with it. They couldn't even find WMDs on Hussein.

    Follow the money, as always. Enough of Big Bad Bin Laden who has probably died of kidney failure by now. Countries get bombed everyday, what makes America any different? Why must 8 years of soldiers and family of soldiers continue to suffer. We've lost more Americans in this war than we did on 9/11.

    Fair is fair, I suppose.

    Not to mention that China is trying to get oil from the Middle East and America wants the contract first. Couldn't have anything AT ALL to do with that either I suppose.

    Oh, my bad. It's 9/11.


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,272

    Re: Obama President

    Not to mention that China is trying to get oil from the Middle East and America wants the contract first. Couldn't have anything AT ALL to do with that either I suppose.
    This is a fairly standard sentiment and not one that I disagree with. Of course there is no completely solid proof. There is no shortage of views that point to "what it looks like" though. I believe with every fiber of my being that we are fighting over there for a simple reason, Money. I cannot be completely certain of the particulars of why.....

    If we were there to rid the planet of the terrorists that hit the Trade Towers then why weren't we told this???

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. President Obama Signs Waste Law
    By Luba in forum The World around us
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 01:56 PM
  2. Schwarzenegger for President?
    By Luba in forum Politics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2010, 05:39 PM
  3. President Obama Nobel Speech
    By Luba in forum Hot Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 07:07 PM
  4. President Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize
    By Luba in forum Politics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 09:03 PM
  5. Barack Obama for President?
    By Luba in forum Politics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-29-2006, 05:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •