Video Game Addiction

With the overwhelming sad tragedy of Brandon Crisp, how do you monitor your own children from getting addicted to video games or chat rooms? If you don't have this problem, do you have any solutions to help other parents?

Crisp Dispute with parents surrounding time spent on XBox.
    Last edited by Duke; 11-09-2008 at 02:15 PM.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    whos getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Re: Video Game Addiction

Completely non-flexible time limits on gaming, they know how much time they have and I don't let them abuse it. Electronic gadgets are the first thing the loose when misbehaving or slacking in school.

Quote Originally Posted by IR_Efrem View Post
    Completely non-flexible time limits on gaming, they know how much time they have and I don't let them abuse it. Electronic gadgets are the first thing the loose when misbehaving or slacking in school.
    Do you ever get 'attitude' about that, IR?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Its a permanent rule that has been there since the beginning. They have shown attitude a few times certainly, but that goes in for all things.

They quickly stop with attitude when they are grounded even longer from their toys.

I added a link to what the dispute was all about in your topic Luba so folks won't have to search for it.

I don't monitor how much time my daughter puts on the computer because she seems to know what is and isn't excessive on her own. If she were to put in what I believe to be too much time into any endeavor, I'd talk to her about it and try to understand where she's coming from prior to ruling on anything.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Addiction to video games to such an extent that other activities, studies & even health disturb..I don't know why parents take this matter not to attention and don't even take appropriate steps..

Quote Originally Posted by aterita View Post
    Addiction to video games to such an extent that other activities, studies & even health disturb..I don't know why parents take this matter not to attention and don't even take appropriate steps..
    I believe it's because for the most part, video games are keeping their children occupied and busy kids are kids you don't have to be a parent to. Many stand up and take notice when something goes terribly wrong but few seem to notice when things are going right; they only take advantage of it by considering it the norm.

I realize this is somewhat of a sweeping statement that does not apply to all but I know of at least a few families in my real life where this is certainly the case.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Well, as a person who has played video games for years then trained myself to concentrate on school, family, and work, it is crucial to understand how children feel when they are playing games. I can't say they have gone through similar issues, but I've stayed on a video game for hours long several times. I didn't want to get off because I had chores to do and I wanted to avoid doing them. I felt stressed out doing the chores in the evening or doing homework thinking that they were boring or useless to me. At that point, I recognized the feeling I got from it then delegated the chores to my siblings whenever I came home from college later in the evening. Homework was broken down into small, manageable steps during the week, so that I can get them done as much as possible. (Challenging, but it helped me out in the short run; if I keep this up, it may help out my time management in the long run). For when I do get stuff done, I reward myself.

So if I were dealing with a child that played video games for hours on end, not only would I create and enforce boundaries on gameplay time and schooling, I would find out how long they play, when they play or what time of day they play, and if possible, why they play. When they are actually doing homework, or following my boundaries correctly, I would take them on a trip like the movies (always picking films for children of course) and give them gift, or something as a reward for following the rules.

I don't know if this helps, but this is my best guess as to how I would handle video game addiction or constant gameplay so to speak.

I don't know, I think addiction is a tough word here and I think its used mostly by folks who don't understand why people play games in the first place?

Its easy to spend exorbitant amounts time doing something you love. Can the term addiction be used for those people who spend all their time practicing tennis, chess, golf or any number of past times to choose from? I think video games is getting this label because of the perception of anti social behavior that comes with them; other than that there is little difference.

There is also a growing amount of jobs that one can possibly get that are either loosely based or directly based off a video gaming platform. One can be a beta tester for any number of games out there or they can apply to a number of gaming software developers and work any number of jobs within. A good level programmer in this day and age can make a 6 figure salary, easily.

Then there are other jobs such as remote sub piloting, bomb squad, and virtually all ROV technology in the military. Astronauts are trained in simulators as well as pilots so its easy to see how adding a term like addiction is difficult.

I think addiction only applies to people who can't do anything else and what little else they do is only of benefit to feed their addiction. That said, you can pretty much add the label addiction to anything these days, the only reason gaming is in the spotlight is because its a multi billion dollar/year industry that is continually on the rise.
    My Daughter Rules!

Agree with Duke.

Parents often duck their parental responsibilities - either by choice or by necessity (2 incomes needed to pay the bills). What also does not help is that many parents are poor disciplinarians. As a result, kids lose out.

You can be addicted to many things. Compulsive shopping, cigarettes and other nefarious substances, keeping up with celebrity gossip (yup), sports (either playing or watching). Some of these are (were) socially accepted. Other addictions are even encouraged.

We all know that honesty and a desire for power (political office) is an extremely rare combination. It is striking that we know of many cases where the addiction to power goes awry - yet we refuse to change the system. I think we can name more politicians that do despicable things than gamers like Brandon Crisp, despite gamers outnumbering politicians thousandfold. So why the big brouha?

At least, games involve you more in what is going on than TV. It is funny how the whole TV addiction / couch potato debate gets so little coverage these days. One can argue that because of the active involvement games are more dangerous. One can as easily argue that television and movies depict life just a bit ... unreal, and that as a result people have unreal expectations of life, with damaging consequences. But that is apparently fine and dandy?!?

If you are going to hold game developers legally responsible for parents' lack of parenting, when are MGM, Warner Bros, 20th Century Fox, not to mention soap opera producers going to be held legally accountable for the same? Or is what they are doing okay, since these venerable organisations insist on ripping citizens off (copyright laws)?

And what about personal responsibility? Democracy without personal responsibility is just outright impossible.

Point is: addiction is a serious problem.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

My Boyfriend is 23 years old and lives for video games.Now that he is on meds he doesn't play much anymore. He would get up at 6:30am for work come home between 4-7pm and then get right on the game until sometime after midnight. They were several nights I went to bed alone and times he had no clue me or our 2 year old were talking to him because he was so consumed by the games.His Mom let him play games starting a 3 years old and was allowed to play as much as he wanted.He has made comments about our daughter playing games soon and I say h**l no! I am in now way contributing another addict to society. Now that he doesn't play as much he has said he never knew what he was missing playing so much.I am so happy he has calmed down. I don't mind them just you gotta control them.If my child picks up games she will be required to do homework, chores and 1 hour of outside time before she can touch the game!!!!

I just spent the last 4 or 5 hours playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 and I had a complete blast. It's nice to take some time to play video games now and again, I only wish I had more time to do it like I did 6 years ago.

There was a time when I'd spend more than 40 hours/week playing video games and I honestly don't think that made me an addict. All it was for me was a release and a chance to spend some time with good friends online (we all played/chatted real time via Teamspeak).

I think those that label video gaming an addiction simply don't understand it and/or haven't tried it.

There are a lot more harmful pursuits such as drinking, smoking, doing drugs, etc., that require attention more so than gaming. Also, I find it odd that nobody seems to refer to watching TV as an addiction especially when the average person watches every bit as much television as their child spends playing video games.

BTW, if you don't want someone close to you to become a video game "addict", spend some time with them and help motivate them out of the house. More often than not, people are filling downtime with video games.
    My Daughter Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I just spent the last 4 or 5 hours playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 and I had a complete blast. It's nice to take some time to play video games now and again, I only wish I had more time to do it like I did 6 years ago.

There was a time when I'd spend more than 40 hours/week playing video games and I honestly don't think that made me an addict. All it was for me was a release and a chance to spend some time with good friends online (we all played/chatted real time via Teamspeak).

I think those that label video gaming an addiction simply don't understand it and/or haven't tried it.

There are a lot more harmful pursuits such as drinking, smoking, doing drugs, etc., that require attention more so than gaming. Also, I find it odd that nobody seems to refer to watching TV as an addiction especially when the average person watches every bit as much television as their child spends playing video games.

BTW, if you don't want someone close to you to become a video game "addict", spend some time with them and help motivate them out of the house. More often than not, people are filling downtime with video games.
    Come on....40 hrs a week of gaming seems a bit on the addicted side. I probably spend that much time or more on the computer at home and I readily admit I'm a computer/internet junkie.

Duke, it really doesn't matter how many hours one spends online doing what they enjoy as long as it's not interfering with our lives or the lives of those closest to us. It's nobody's damn business how much time we spend doing our favorite pass times as long as we are being responsible when we need to be.

Happy gaming Duke!

Addiction is defined as a dependence to something such as a drug or behavior. While I may have played that much at one time, I was never at any time dependent on playing which is a critical distinction.

I think society has become more focused on labeling people and dropping them into categories to explain social behavior. That being said, some of these terms try to lump everyone in which I do not believe is even close to being accurate.
    My Daughter Rules!

Excellent point Duke!

Does being addicted to Lifesupporters count? That's my addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    Does being addicted to Lifesupporters count? That's my addiction.
    I could make the same claim but I don't think that doing something you love should be considered an addiction. Even in this case where I'm dependent on the existence of Lifesupporters.com, I don't believe it should constitute an addiction.

In this case, Lifesupporters is as dependent on me as I am on it. I would say the same thing for you Luba, coming here is not considered an addiction but maybe it can be construed as a co-dependency?

Not sure?
    My Daughter Rules!

I have no idea what it really means, I just LOVE coming here!

I was just browsing some older topics and thought this one would be a good one to bump.

Anyone have any new thoughts they'd like to share on the subject of video game addiction?
    My Daughter Rules!

I guess with the advent of technology, it is only a matter of time before there come devices that use biometric readings to "shut down" games and such when the player gets too involved / overdoes it. That might be useful.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    With the overwhelming sad tragedy of Brandon Crisp, how do you monitor your own children from getting addicted to video games or chat rooms? If you don't have this problem, do you have any solutions to help other parents?
    Thankfully, my daughter wil avoid watching and participating in all computer games, films and television broadcasts that portray violence. I will always be sitting with her when the television is on. She never watches TV alone and, with good reason. Same with chat rooms. She will never go in one unless insists I am with her. The last chat room will, thankfully, be the last as the admin who ran it was a creep.

This reason for my daughter is not addiction, but what certain games, television drama and certain films can do to her mind. We are close on this subject, so I never have any problem with her whatsoever.

Thread Information