Parental Ignorance

My daughter simply astounds me. Recently we had a discussion about her comfort level in the vehicle when I'm in...

More...

Re: Parental Ignorance

I think it can go both ways. Neither of my parents have a clue what I go through each day. Perhaps some ignorance on their part, but as an adult myself... I am just as guilty if I choose not to discuss with them my concerns about what ever.

Of course it really does make it difficult as a child if you really think they aren't going to pay attention anyway.

You brought up some very valid points Duke, it was an enlightening read.

Re: Parental Ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by wolvesjr34 View Post
    I think it can go both ways. Neither of my parents have a clue what I go through each day. Perhaps some ignorance on their part, but as an adult myself... I am just as guilty if I choose not to discuss with them my concerns about what ever.

Of course it really does make it difficult as a child if you really think they aren't going to pay attention anyway.

You brought up some very valid points Duke, it was an enlightening read.
    Very good points as well wolves, thanks for the insight.

I submit however that if your parents had provided an atmosphere for healthy discussion on all issues important to you perhaps you would be more open to sharing with them as an adult.

I'd compare it very much to a hike in the woods. If your walking in dense brush and the moving is slow, you'll seek out an easier path to allow you to move forward. I think relationships with adults is very much similar in that a child will often open up to someone who will either identify, understand or at least, listen. If a child can't get this from their parents then they'll likely seek advice elsewhere.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Thread Information