Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Inspirational Quotes

It can be somewhat difficult to find inspiration in todays world. Our world economy is in complete shambles, the cost...

More...

Following is a current list of inspirational quotes found at Lifesupporters.com.

Should you have additional phrases you'd like to see added, simply reply with phrase and phrase author here (phrases without author will not be included).

Also, please try and provide inspirational quotes with a minimum of 15 words with the maximum word count of 35. The reason for this is the quotes either stretch beyond the confines of the module or are simply too short and leave primarily blank space.

BTW, if you've already seen someone quoted don't let it stop you from adding a new quote said by that person. If the quote is famous it likely got that way because it deserved to be.

Thanks.

LEGEND: Black Text (Duke added) Green Text (member addition) Red Text (pending).

1. 'The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind. ~ James Truslow Adams'
    2. 'Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish. ~ John Quincy Adams'
    3. 'A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright'
    4. 'Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will. ~ Dr. Robert Anthony'
    5. 'Happiness is not about being perfect, but about seeing beyond the imperfections. ~ Anonymous'
    6. 'You grow up the day you have your first real laugh - at yourself. ~ Ethel Barrymore'
    7. 'There are two ways to meeting difficulties: you alter the difficulties, or you alter yourself to meet them. ~ Phyllis Battome'
    8. 'Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~ Leo Buscaglia'
    9. 'Life is not measured by how many breaths we take, but how many take our breath away. ~ George Carlin'
    10. 'Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential. ~ Winston Churchill'
    11. 'It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. ~ Confucius'
    12. 'When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, \don\'t adjust the goals, adjust the action steps. ~ Confucius'
    13. 'Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. ~ Confucius'
    14. 'Happiness resides not in possessions and not in gold; the feeling of happiness dwells in the soul. ~ Democritus'
    15. 'Reflect upon your present blessings - of which every man has many - not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some. ~ Charles Dickens'
    16. 'Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without the words, and never stops at all. ~ Emily Dickinson'
    17. 'Whatever they grow up to be, they are still our children, and the one most important of all the things we can give to them is unconditional love. Not a love that depends on anything at all except that they are our children. ~ Rosaleen Dickson'
    18. 'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. ~ Wayne Dyer'
    19. 'Many of \life\s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. ~ Thomas Edison'
    20. 'Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value. ~ Albert Einstein'
    21. 'Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson'
    22. 'What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson'
    23. 'Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson'
    24. 'To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson'
    25. 'Family: A social unit where the father is concerned with parking space, the children with outer space, and the mother with closet space. ~ Evan Esar'
    26. 'The key to success is not through achievement, but through enthusiasm. ~ Malcolm Forbes'
    27. 'Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of. ~ Benjamin Franklin'
    28. 'Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. ~ Benjamin Franklin'
    29. 'Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, only this time more wisely. ~ Henry Ford'
    30. 'Heroes are made in the hour of defeat. Success is, therefore, well described as a series of glorious defeats. ~ Gandhi'
    31. 'Happiness is when what you think what you say, and what you do are in harmony. ~ Gandhi'
    32. 'Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else. ~ Judy Garland'
    33. 'Greatness is not measured by what a man or woman accomplishes, but by the opposition he or she has overcome to reach his goals. ~ Dorothy Height'
    34. 'Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get only with what you are expecting to give - which is everything. ~ Katharine Hepburn'
    35. 'Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure. ~ Napoleon Hill'
    36. 'You were not born a winner, and you were not born a loser. You are what you make yourself be. ~ Lou Holtz'
    37. 'Look at your past. Your past has determined where you are at this moment. What you do today will determine where you are tomorrow. Are you moving forward or standing still? ~ Tom Hopkins'
    38. 'The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind. ~ William James'
    39. 'Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. ~ Storm Jameson'
    40. 'Those who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. ~ Lloyd Jones'
    41. 'The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller'
    42. 'When one door closes another opens. But often we look so long regretfully upon the closed door that we fail to see the one that has opened for us. ~ Helen Keller'
    43. 'As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. ~ John F Kennedy'
    44. 'The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. ~ Martin Luther King'
    45. 'And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. ~ Abraham Lincoln'
    46. 'Everybody has talent, its just a matter of moving around until you discover what it is. ~ George Lucas'
    47. 'Level with your child by being hones. Nobody spots a phony quicker than a child. ~ Mary MacCracken'
    48. 'Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. ~ Joshua J. Marine'
    49. 'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free. ~ Michelangelo'
    50. 'The pleasantest things in the world are pleasant thoughts: and the great art of life is to have as many of them as possible. ~ Montaigne'
    51. 'I wish people could achieve what they think would bring them happiness in order for them to realize that thats not what happiness really is. ~ Alanis Morissette'
    52. 'Accept everything about yourself - I mean everything, You are you and that is the beginning and the end - no apologies, no regrets. ~ Clark Moustakas'
    53. 'The worst thing you can try to do is cling to something that is gone, or to recreate it. ~ Johnette Napolitano'
    54. 'If you have made mistakes, even serious ones, there is always another chance for you. What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down. ~ Mary Pickford'
    55. 'There are two things a person should never be angry with- things they can help and things they can not. ~ Plato'
    56. 'The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it. ~ Plutarch'
    57. 'Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come. ~ Chinese proverb'
    58. 'Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives. ~ A. Sachs'
    59. 'Sometimes our light goes out but is blown into flame by another human being. Each of us owes deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this light. ~ Albert Schweitzer'
    60. 'Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss
    61. 'You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. ~ Dr. Seuss'
    62. 'Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time. Then your time on earth will be filled with glory. ~ Betty Smith'
    63. 'You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around - and why his parents will always wave back. ~ William D. Tammeus'
    64. 'We worry about what a child will be tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today. ~ Stacia Tauscher'
    65. 'Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies. ~ Mother Teresa'
    66. 'I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor. ~ Henry David Thoreau'
    67. 'You cannot dream yourself into a character: you must hammer and forge yourself into one. ~ Henry David Thoreau'
    68. 'I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. ~ Henry David Thoreau'
    69. 'The kindest thing you can do for the people you care about is to become a happy, joyous person. ~ Brian Tracy'
    70. 'A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties. ~ Harry Truman'
    71. 'You cannot depend on your eyes, when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain'
    72. 'Holding resentment is like eating poison and waiting for the other person to keel over. ~ Unknown'
    73. 'Many people will walk in and out of you life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart. ~ Unknown'
    74. 'Physical strength is measured by what we can carry; spiritual by what we can bear. ~ Unknown'
    75. 'By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong. ~ Charles Wadsworth'
    76. 'Seek the wisdom of the ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child. ~ Ron Wild'
    77. 'Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do. ~ John Wooden'
    78. 'Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out. ~ John Wooden'
    79. 'We must accept life for what it actually is - a challenge to our quality without which we should never know of what stuff we are made, or grow to our full stature. ~ Ida R. Wylie'
    Last edited by Duke; 05-19-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Re: Inspirational Quotes

"Life is not measured by how many breaths we take, but how many take our breath away" I'm not sure who that is by, but its one i have always liked.

"you cannot depend on your eyes, when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

"What passion cannot music raise and quell" John Dryden

Quote Originally Posted by kathy View Post
    "Life is not measured by how many breaths we take, but how many take our breath away" I'm not sure who that is by, but its one i have always liked.
    Apparently this was originally used by George Carlin and it has been added, thanks
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

'To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts.'

'Man is the artificer of his own happiness.'

'I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.'

'As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.'

All quotes by Henry David Thoreau
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    whos getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

"As you get older, your parents get smarter"- I am not sure

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. -Wayne Dyer

There are two things a person should never be angry with- things they can help and things they can not.- Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    'To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts.'

'Man is the artificer of his own happiness.'

'I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.'

'As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.'

All quotes by Henry David Thoreau
    Sorry Lu, I neglected to ad there should be a minimum and maximum word count to the quotes. I've since amended the first post to indicate these values and the reasons for them.

Please submit more because I'm sure you have a library full of 'em.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegasdad View Post
    If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. -Wayne Dyer

There are two things a person should never be angry with- things they can help and things they can not.- Plato
    Added
    My Daughter Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Apparently this was originally used by George Carlin and it has been added, thanks

Now i know...

"Seek the wisdom of the ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child." - Ron Wild

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln

"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed." - Storm Jameson

"The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart." - Helen Keller

"Level with your child by being hones. Nobody spots a phony quicker than a child." - Mary MacCracken

"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." - Benjamin Franklin

"The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it." - Plutarch

"When one door closes another opens. But often we look so long regretfully upon the closed door that we fail to see the one that has opened for us." Helen Keller

"The worst thing you can try to do is cling to something that is gone, or to recreate it." - Johnette Napolitano

"You cannot dream yourself into a character: you must hammer and forge yourself into one." Henry David Thoreau
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

"Seek the wisdom of the ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child." - Ron Wild

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln

"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed." - Storm Jameson

"The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart." - Helen Keller

"Level with your child by being hones. Nobody spots a phony quicker than a child." - Mary MacCracken

"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." - Benjamin Franklin

"The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it." - Plutarch

"When one door closes another opens. But often we look so long regretfully upon the closed door that we fail to see the one that has opened for us." Helen Keller

"The worst thing you can try to do is cling to something that is gone, or to recreate it." - Johnette Napolitano

"You cannot dream yourself into a character: you must hammer and forge yourself into one." Henry David Thoreau
    Great quotes Lu, I'll ad them when I get home tonight.
    My Daughter Rules!

I just want to thank you SO much, Duke, for those wonderful inspirational quotes in the corner! I have trained myself to read each one EVERY time I log on and it makes my happy and grateful mood, even happier! Thank you!

No problem at all. I'd like eventually to get a full catalog of hundreds of quotes and possibly categorize them with a nice topic image to match the phrase. If you guys can all help me in getting up to say 100 quotes then I'll start creating some graphics to go with each category such as love, happiness, spiritual, success, etc.
    My Daughter Rules!

"Don't ask for a light load, but rather ask for a strong back." - Anonymous

"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful." - Joshua J. Marine

"There are two ways to meeting difficulties: you alter the difficulties, or you alter yourself to meet them." - Phyllis Battome

"Happiness is not about being perfect, but about seeing beyond the imperfections." Anonymous

"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come." Chinese proverb

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

"Physical strength is measured by what we can carry; spiritual by what we can bear." Unknown

"The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind."
    James Truslow Adams

"Happiness resides not in possessions and not in gold; the feeling of happiness dwells in the soul." Democritus

"Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine." Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." Thomas Edison

"Try not to become a man of success,but rather try to become a man of value." Albert Einstein

"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." John Wooden

"Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart." Eleanor Roosevelt

"Happiness is when what you think what you say, and what you do are in harmony." Gandhi

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful." - Joshua J. Marine

"There are two ways to meeting difficulties: you alter the difficulties, or you alter yourself to meet them." - Phyllis Battome
    Added.
    My Daughter Rules!

"Happiness is not about being perfect, but about seeing beyond the imperfections." Anonymous

"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come." Chinese proverb

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

"Physical strength is measured by what we can carry; spiritual by what we can bear." Unknown

"The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind."
    James Truslow Adams

"Happiness resides not in possessions and not in gold; the feeling of happiness dwells in the soul." Democritus
    Added
    My Daughter Rules!

"Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine." Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." Thomas Edison

"Try not to become a man of success,but rather try to become a man of value." Albert Einstein

"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." John Wooden

"Happiness is when what you think what you say, and what you do are in harmony." Gandhi

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Added.

I think we'll have to keep an eye on what's being added because I ran into a few duplicates in this past list and I believe I posted a few others previously as well.
    My Daughter Rules!

Duke, those are some really great quotes, thanks for posting

I've since incorporated many of the above quotes into the header of the main site with new quotes displaying on each and every page refresh. Now that we're dealing with much more real estate, the length of quotes can be increased dramatically.

For now I would think we can easily get away with a word count of close to 75 words/phrase so keep 'em coming and I'll continue to add them.

Thanks.
    My Daughter Rules!

"you cannot depend on your eyes, when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain
    Added.
    My Daughter Rules!

'I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.~ Henry David Thoreau
    Added.
    My Daughter Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    'I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.~ Henry David Thoreau
    Added.
    Thanks, Duke! That is one of my very favourite quotes Ever!

"When you dance, your purpose is not to get a certain place on the floor. It's to enjoy each step along the way."

Wayne Dyer

Love this one I read this morning:

"Every day give your brain a shampoo" - Dr. Sara Jordon

Here's a few more:

"I think the next best thing to solving a problem is finding some humor in it" - Frank A. Clark

"Living in a vacuum sucks" - Adrienne Gusoff

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter" - E.E.Cummings

Thread Information