Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Weight Issues and Support - Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by LovingSpirit View Post
    But make no mistake.......I am one messed up chickypoo!
    Aren't most of us like that in one way or another? That's why we're here!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    whos getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

A particularly Good exercise hour this morning, Perspiration is my friend! I found the following article very informative as sweat during exercise is my friend!

What is Sweat

Sweat is cool

If you are dripping in sweat after exercise, consider that your reward. The fact that you are sweating profusely could be the result of exercise success.
    I wanted to quit after a half hour today but my idea of having a 'Danny Marathon' banner kept me going and I even stepped it up some notches. As a result, I feel proud and Great....and hungry.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

That's a really good article Luba! Thanks! In part it said:

It's important to note that sweat is not just made up of water. It's also composed of ammonia, calcium, chloride, copper, creatine, iodine, iron, lactic acid, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, urea and uric acid. Sodium and chloride are the predominate nutrients in sweat, with potassium, calcium and magnesium following, and all other nutrients accounting for trace amounts.
    Gee, somebody should derive a way of bottling this stuff and selling it as a supplement.

I hate the way sweating feels. I always have. Probably one of the reasons I need to lose weight.

I gained a pound from this Holiday eating but I'm not overly sad, or the least bit sad, really. I thought it was going to be at least five pounds!

I'm going to go and do some 'exercise with a kick' in more ways than one right now!

I gained three lbs and I'm not fussing about it. Come the new year I'm doing it all different so I'm eating the holiday food now without worry.

I was wondering if you follow any special eating plan that you find helpful and would care to share? Do you count calories? Do you eliminate food groups completely? For example, do you eliminate white foods or dairy?

Since my husband does 99.9% of the cooking, he's ab-so-lu-te-ly Amazing and is one of the reasons I'm a chubby (not fat) bird or chicken (as per my avatar); so, of course, I am very Grateful and chow down; yeah, baby!

Sorry, LovingSpirit, you asked some serious questions, and since I'm feeling giddy, I totally went that way.

I did buy a couple of booklets on counting calories, and let's see, probably did that for a day and a half. Seriously, that didn't last at all. Every so often I look in the book but not often.

All I could say is I cut down on my servings, that's about it. This is shameful to admit, but I used to have two helpings of his fabulous spaghetti, two loaded hamburgers with fries, two sandwiches, etc. it seemed like I always needed pairs of things.

Now we have smaller helpings...except of course, for this week and not ending until probably next Monday.

I have to admit I was getting pretty obsessed with my weight and now I'm going to just enjoy what I'm doing now. I'm having smaller servings and stepping up my exercise, and if the weight comes off, I'll be okay; it it doesn't, I'll just enjoy the process. I'm going to try for more balance in my life. I'm all about stepping up my 'gentleness' towards myself this year, and others, too! I will make a new post about my journey with words in a new thread.

I also do a Lot of walking in the three seasons with no snow. As much as I LOVE snow, I don't like hidden ice meeting my butt when I fall! I didn't do much walking this year as I decided to do something a touch different, and get a routine of exercise at home and I'm proud of what I'm doing.

Thanks for sharing that with me hon. Truth be told, I know far more about calorie contents of foods than any one person should ever know. Most of the time I don't even have to look, just record it. However, I have concocted numerous recipes over the past year where I figured the calorie content of every ingredient that went into the recipe and then figure out what the calories were per serving. It was a lot of work, but in the end I have some great receipes that I thoroughly enjoy that are already pre-calorie counted and DELICIOUS! I will be including them in my weight loss endeavors in the new year and hopefully I will be creating some new ones too!

Something extra exciting has been happening with me this week, and I'm hoping it will last!

No longer do I try to talk myself into exercising, "Do I feel like it or don't I, blah, blah, blah?" It seems to be just coming naturally now, my body is CRAVING it! My movements are getting bigger and my body is responding nicely! I hope I have turned the corner from 'have to' to being totally excited about it every morning and maybe throwing in even more movement.

I have some Bon Jovi and AC/DC videos that I just may start freakishly dancing to, which is EVEN more movement! I may just try that wonderful idea out TO-DAY!(I really think it has to do something with my dancing chicken, too!)

Hello, its me again and I gotta say that you're wasting time counting calories. The whole food thing is complex and your body just loves to overcome and adapt, like a marine. The most important thing you can do that will make the biggest difference is to stay away from all artificial sweeteners and high fructose corn syrup. That sounds easy, but you're gonna find this stuff is everywhere. This is absolutely making us all fatter. Just look at the labels and if you see corn syrups and HFCS, don't eat it or try and cut down as much as possible. As far as sweeteners go, all the artificial types are poisoning us, and yes , they are making us fatter too! Use regular sugar if you must, just use less of it. If that doesn't satisfy your sweet-tooth, then you have 3 natural choices that are safe. Stevia and Xylitol, both sold in the sugar isle and you also have Agave Nectar, which you can find in the isle by the honey. Keep up the exercise at any pace which comforts you and throw your calorie counter in the garbage. There are many other things that you can do but these will have the greatest impact. Happy New Year! MP

Hi there MightyProud!

I absolutely agree with you about artificial sweeteners. I've had my own health issues with using them in the past......heart palpatations. This stuff is poison to me and I stay away from them at all cost. As long as you eat whole foods, you don't have to worry about HFC. I use sugar, honey, agave and Xylitol. Wow you put all the good ones down! Xylitol is my favorite because it's low glycemic. Agave is too but not as good as Xylitol.

One other thing I'd like mention is to stay away from processed foods because they contain MSG. Now......I'm not going to go on about all that I know about this substance, and I know quite a bit. I will just say that this is a highly addictive substance that food mfgs use to keep us coming back to their product. It should be yanked by the FDA, but if it was, all the processed food in the market would taste like cardboard and we can't have that! In addition, it causes inflammation in the body. I can personally vouch for this. I have seen the difference in how my body feels when I am not eating processed food.

Thanks for your tips MP. I really appreciate them! {{{Hugs}}}

It sounds like you're pretty good at this, I try to stay on top of these issues, it seems there's always something else to worry about, like the prices. Just last week, I bought some rice pasta at the supermarket because I heard some good things about it, I paid 2.87 a pound for it and I thought my wife and her sister were both gonna kick my ass. So I figured I'd do one better and find it online cheaper. That didn't happen. Apparently I paid the cheapest price known to the internet. I found the exact same stuff going from 3.25 to 4.99 a pound, and that was if I bought 12 pounds or more, I couldn't believe it. The worst part was that she cooked it the other night and it was amazing, I went back to the store and bought some more today, I got it for 2.87 again, its their sale price. Eating better is certainly smarter, but its not cheaper, that's for sure. MP

I rarely eat white foods. They tend to get stuck and have a hard time getting out. It just glues the whole system up so I mostly avoid them. A neighbor recently cooked us an oriental dish and it was made with veggies, shrimp, chicken and rice noodles. To be honest, I didn't care for the rice noodles. I just don't feel like I'm missing anything by avoiding white foods.

I've been doing the same with white foods for quite a while too and I've been mostly trying to eat more wheat instead. I like the wheat, but I recently discovered that wheat is another cause of inflammation and once again it leaves me scratching my head, that's how I got to buy the rice pasta.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyProud View Post
    I've been doing the same with white foods for quite a while too and I've been mostly trying to eat more wheat instead. I like the wheat, but I recently discovered that wheat is another cause of inflammation and once again it leaves me scratching my head, that's how I got to buy the rice pasta.
    Do you have a reason to worry about inflammation? It does't effect everyone. Wheat doesn't me but MSG will make my joints ache pretty bad.

I can't honestly say that I have ever had a problem with wheat that I know of. As far as inflammation goes, that's another story, my joints do ache. One reason I stay on top of the healthier issues is because of my weight, I have to be careful because I will gain weight rather easily and this makes the joints ache even more, so I try to watch what I eat to keep my weight in check. I also have a degenerated hip joint and it hurts more and more all the time, so I watch my weight constantly and make sure I exercise regularly. This helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyProud View Post
    I can't honestly say that I have ever had a problem with wheat that I know of. As far as inflammation goes, that's another story, my joints do ache. One reason I stay on top of the healthier issues is because of my weight, I have to be careful because I will gain weight rather easily and this makes the joints ache even more, so I try to watch what I eat to keep my weight in check. I also have a degenerated hip joint and it hurts more and more all the time, so I watch my weight constantly and make sure I exercise regularly. This helps a lot.
    Degenerative joint disease is part of my difficulties too MP. My back and my knee shows moderately severe degeraration. Altho I haven't diagnosed with it anywhere else yet, I would guess it is the reason I have pain in my shoulder and elbow as well.

In additon, I have an autoimmune disorder that is sensitive to procedssed foods.

I am overweight by quite a bit so I will be working on that difficulty in the new year.

I know what you mean, I've been a carpenter my whole life and I've done a little beating on my body over the years, nothing serious, but normal wear and tear. As far as my hip goes, I got that from my father, he's had both replaced already and I'm sure I'll get that pleasure one day as well. I was born with some sort of degenerated hip joint that has been mostly fine until the past few years. I've been trying to phase out the carpentry because its so damn physical and rough on the hip. The weight plays a big factor, I'm about 235 pounds and about as solid as an oak tree. I'm a little overweight, but not fat, 225 would be ideal for me. Work is the problem, I beat myself up during the day and then I have a hard time sticking to my work-outs because of the long and tiring days. Its a crazy cycle that I've starting taking more serious as I get older.

All right, time to admit it, I'm most likely THE MOST inconsistent person here when it comes to a establishing a life-changing routine when it comes to exercise and eating, and drinking water. I think I can think of more excuses and lies to myself than anyone else.

I was doing very well, I thought, in January and February when it came to exercise and eating more fruit and vegetables, but alas, still had problems with drinking enough water, totally inconsistent.

So, now that I can no longer blame the accident for excess stress or my back; the pain subsided and I'm on the mend, I figured I better get back to exercise, but not be stupid about it, be gentle and just moving more often. So after having a comical conversation with my husband about my inconsistency about drinking water; here is an excerpt from our conversation today:

Husband: Drinking too much water isn't good for you!
    Luba: Who did you hear that from?
    Husband: The Plumber's Union!...

Looking directly at me he adds:
    ...especially older structures who have a lot of galvanized plumbing in them.

So I don't know if this link is here somewhere already, but I guess it's not a bad thing to post it again:

Are You Drinking Enough Water?

I do really need to try to get some water in me every day. I now have a glass of water in viewing distance all the time, and I sip on it. It works! I'm the type of person "out of sight, out of mind" except for that fridge. I do have fruit and vegetables, too.

Notice I'm also inconsistent here where this thread is supposed to help me stay accountable. It's been months since I last checked in. I've also realized that I'm a gung ho type of person in some things and then just fall into a d-a-z-e for awhile, this being one of those things.

I watched "The Biggest Loser" and exercised through it, and "Dr. Phil" today and yesterday had the pros and cons of weight loss; having guests on both sides of the issue.

"stay accountable", that's quite funny when it comes to me. I guess most of us have issues whether it be to lose weight, quit smoking, quit drugs and alcohol, or whatever it might be.

I've done good today and I know the downside of this is I'm already planning for tomorrow, and not giving myself enough credit for having tried and done good today! Instead I'm going to enjoy today's feeling and let tomorrow take care of itself. I think I don't give myself enough credit of having lived today as best as I could, and to have Joy in that!

Oh Dear Luba.....I thought I was the inconsistancy queen.
    I'm struggling too. You know what I think about the drinking water thing? I think that if we were really meant to drink so much water then we'd automatically do it and wouldn't have to remember, and if we were meant to drink so much water, then we wouldn't spend so damn much time peeing it out.

I know; it's that darn peeing thing that holds me back. If I was more consistent though, my bladder would be used to it already. I am thinking of giving it a good try and maybe it will help. Notice how positive I am with my terms, maybe and thinking. It isn't exactly for sure and doing.

I must admit that my skin looks much better if I drink at least six glasses of water a day. I try to do this.....one glass with each meal and one glass in between each meal. Truly, my face has fewer wrinkles when I drink at least six glasses a day.

Quote Originally Posted by LovingSpirit View Post
    I must admit that my skin looks much better if I drink at least six glasses of water a day. I try to do this.....one glass with each meal and one glass in between each meal. Truly, my face has fewer wrinkles when I drink at least six glasses a day.
    I totally believe that, LovingSpirit! I'm determined to keep with the water drinking this time. I know what keeps stopping me is because of more trips to the bathroom. Well, too bad, Luba, quit whining and do something even if it's uncomfortable for a while!

So today is Day Two and when I pour a coffee, I will also get a glass of water, too, like I did this morning. In a few moments I will be going for some exercise. I actually did exercise at three separate times yesterday and didn't put a limit on it like I usually do. I figure, okay, baby steps and no more gung ho attitude. You'd think I would have learned by now that an attitude like that doesn't work in exercise, or any other part of life. Flowing, LOVE that word, so I'm going to be flowing....right in the bathroom.

I'm gonna follow this little fella's lead and pee up a tree and make this peeing thing fun.

I'm gonna follow this little fella's lead and pee up a tree and make this peeing thing fun.
    What a Great attitude, LovingSpirit! I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to use your example and have a Good attitude about it as well! I think that will serve Best in the long run...to the bathroom..(sorry, couldn't help myself). Figure if I make jokes about it, it won't be such a BIG thing as I've made it out to be! Another life-lesson!

I'm finding that getting a glass of water out first thing is really a good start! I've had two already! It's not such a big deal like I've been making it out to be...

Thread Information